Prices of N SCALE going up????

SubwayHypes

This morning i was outbid on FOUR kato buses for $50.00

Looking at ebay, it seems prices on Kato and Japanese N scale products are not being affected by this economy at all.  I collect shoes, sell cars, everything is cheaper now.  But N SCALE deals on ebay???  non existant.

FOUR BUSES FOR FIFTY BUCKS!  i already own these tiny little plastic things, i can believe people are paying that kinda money.  i wonder if it was one of you!

you can buy the Kato 8 bus set for 48.00 too!

They were the tokyo green max, i bid up to 45 because i thoght that was enough.

To any of you out there, prepare to battle me on ebay in the future lol.  I have missed out on 3 deals so far being outbid, the next one (my crown jewel which shall remain nameless) is getting a HIGH bid because i have saved on the last 3!

Martijn Meerts

I don't do bidding on ebay, I either use the "buy now" option, buy it from a regular store, or just not buy it at all ;)

Some Japanese stuff is probably getting more expensive, since the Yen is rather strong at the moment.

I don't do bidding on ebay, I either use the "buy now" option, buy it from a regular store, or just not buy it at all ;)

Some Japanese stuff is probably getting more expensive, since the Yen is rather strong at the moment.

I'm with Martin on this.  I buy from a store or "buy it now" on eBay.  Some people go crazy on auctions. Over a couple of years there isn't that much I haven't managed to get.

But the Yen has made things more expensive lately.

There are two separate issues here, the strength of the yen and eBay.

If you look at the prices listed on Hobby Search for example, the yen price of the train really didn't change that much but the conversion rate to dollars or Euro certainly did. A regular Kato 6 car passenger set might have cost 150.00 USD a few months ago but now with recession, it is about 168.00.

The other issue is Ebay. Ebay is a whole different ballgame and some people get more of a thrill at just winning an item rather than what it cost them to get it. I have seen items listed with a "buy it now" button for $50.00 but is only there for a limited time until someone starts bidding. (Then the "Buy if Now" icon disappears.) When the auction is over the final price might be higher than the original "Buy it Now" icon.

I have also see two identical items with different prices. One was listed with a starting price of .99 and the other with a "Buy it now" icon for $50.00. People will get into a bidding war on the .99 item until it is sold for $80.00 and still pass on the "Buy is Now" item for $50.00.  As I said, some people just like winning bidding wars and the seller is the one who profits.

Also don't forget the "sniping" programs, with 3 sec. left in a auction, the program will automatically put in a high bid with a good chance of the sniper winning the item.

The only time I ever win on eBay is when I hit the "buy it now" icon, otherwise I'm like the Chicago Cubs, I have a wonderful losing percentage, which my wife is very proud of. :D

alpineaustralia

Well for fear of sounding like a loser, I actually buy quite fair of stuff on ebay.

There are lots of tricks of course. One trick is for the seller to also bid at the last minute. Alternatively, they post a bidding item and a "buy it now" item with an inflated price to encourage people to bid up to the "buy it now" price.

Take for example someKato 3019-9 EF 65 "Rainbow"s that I  recently bought.

Hobbysearch price = 5850 yen

Popendatta= 5544 yen

Rainbowten = 5940 yen

In US dollars that is a range of USD $58.04 to $62.18.

Ebay Buy it now price from

PlazaJapan = USD $64.00

Hit Japan = $65.99

In US dollars that is a range of USD $64.00 to $65.99.

I bought them for USD $49.88 and $46.00, respectively. That's a 30% difference off the highest "buy it now price"

Similarly, the I bought a Kato 10-260 EF58 mid-1950's set for $89.99 which currently has a "buy it now" price of $218.00 at the same store.

My point is that the bargains are there is you have the time and inclination and if you know your prices.

On you other point, I whileheartedly agree that the threat of a world recession doesnt seem to have dampened the demand for, or the prices of, model trains.  Someone forgot to tell model Japanese train enthusiasts about the financial crisis.

Gentlemen, I think we will see the first model train led recovery of the world economies starting with Japan's.

\

This is very interesting. I have to admit, economic crisis aside, I still feel like doing model train shopping. (who doesn't?)  ;)

Especially reading on another thread here of the warning to get your order in a.s.a.p. before the busy Christmas period, I quickly placed my first ever order with hobby search for the 4-car add-on set for my N700.

So maybe it's just the Christmas shopping rush period. Or maybe more people are taking up the hobby to overcome the stress of the economic crisis.

As for ebay, unfortunately I don't have much luck either. For item that I bid, my win rate is probably something like 1 in 1000. (Although I did once got a DCC hornby controller for under $60 when they normally go for about 90 to 100 dollar). Need to be patient with ebay, if you don't get it this time, try again next time. And next time, and another time, and another time ...  ;D

I typically don't bid either, and go for the buy it now option. I've only been outbid once but still, it's just too much of a pain to deal with. I have noticed across the board prices going up. Two weeks ago, I bought a pack of unitrack at my dealer for 7.49 a pack. Went back up and bought a second pack last week of the same thing, 8.79 Over the past week, the dealer marked up everything they had i the Kato line when I asked about it.

CaptOblivious

I'm still buyin', too...'cause this is what I spend my money on :D

I've had great luck with eBay. I win nearly everything I bid on, and at very good prices too. The trick is to pick your battles, and to know a little about bidding psychology :D

Don - you have a winning percentage with eBay? You even beat the snipers?

If I see a popular item with a 30 sec to go, I'll wait and see all the bidding that happens in the last 10 sec. I have seen 7 bids happen in that time with some bidder out of nowhere winning the item.

i am thinking about waiting untill the last second and just bidding a high number.  Since i have lost like 4 auctions and theoretically saved like 150 buks, i feel like i can let the purse strings lose on the next thing i got my eye on.

I noticed that Kato track sets are pretty cheap on ebay right now.  Im looking at a v11 for 79.99 free shipping. i paid like 100 at palaza japan for the same set earlier this year.

trains seem to always hold their value, especially the hard to get ones.

i am thinking about waiting untill the last second and just bidding a high number.  Since i have lost like 4 auctions and theoretically saved like 150 buks, i feel like i can let the purse strings lose on the next thing i got my eye on.

I noticed that Kato track sets are pretty cheap on ebay right now.  Im looking at a v11 for 79.99 free shipping. i paid like 100 at palaza japan for the same set earlier this year.

trains seem to always hold their value, especially the hard to get ones.

I never did all too well with that method of bidding.

alpineaustralia

I reckon the trick is still to set the price you are happy with and if it goes for more than that you have to be prepared to walk away with a smile.  The real thing is not to get emotionally drawn into having to win!

CaptOblivious

I reckon the trick is still to set the price you are happy with and if it goes for more than that you have to be prepared to walk away with a smile.  The real thing is not to get emotionally drawn into having to win!

I think this is exactly right. Also, don't show your hand too early in the game. Sometimes this means sniping, but more often than not, it simply means bidding early in an attempt to convince the other bidders that the item isn't going to go for anywhere near what you're willing to pay.

And welcome to the board, roomd!

I think this is exactly right. Also, don't show your hand too early in the game. Sometimes this means sniping, but more often than not, it simply means bidding early in an attempt to convince the other bidders that the item isn't going to go for anywhere near what you're willing to pay.

These are exactly the reasons I use esnipe. When I see something that interests me on eBay, I calmly determine the highest price I am willing to pay, load the bid into esnipe and do not think about the lot (or even visit it) until a few days later I receive a "win" (or "lose") email from esnipe.com. No need to spend the last few minutes at the computer, no need to put a high bid beforehand and have some hothead trying to over-bid it. esnipe puts my predetermined bid 5 seconds before the end of the action, and if I lose, that's OK.

(please do not see this as an ad for esnipe, you can use any other similar service, it's just that I have been using them for the past 7 years, and there was just one technical glitch in that time).

And welcome to the board, roomd!

Thanks!

I know this if off the thread but Welcome to the Forum Roomd and I like your Avatar. How did you come by to choose it?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The avatar was borrowed from a German industrial band I like, [:SITD:]

^^ cool i just registered with esnipe.  got my prebid locked and loaded, its higher than retail but cheaper than NewhallStation.

when you win the auction how do you pay them?  they just deduct the couple dollars from paypal?

CaptOblivious

^^ cool i just registered with esnipe.  got my prebid locked and loaded, its higher than retail but cheaper than NewhallStation.

when you win the auction how do you pay them?  they just deduct the couple dollars from paypal?

Reading this, I thought: Being cheaper than Newhall Station is a rather geeky way of damning with faint praise...

I know this if off the thread but Welcome to the Forum Roomd and I like your Avatar. How did you come by to choose it?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The avatar was borrowed from a German industrial band I like, [:SITD:]

Hey Dmitri, welcome to the forums.

I think you are supposed to prepay them (minimum of 500 points == 5USD). I've had my balance dip below zero a couple of times and they still serviced my bids, but I have never tried to check how far into the negative I could go.

WOW THANK YOU ROOMD FOR YOUR RECOMENDATION OF ESNIPE!!

I just won my first auction with it. 

Just listing all my other auctions under Esnipe.

Btw- I'm the one who just won the 8 car Yokosuka-Sobu w/ Green car set on ebay.    Retail at Newhall station was 299.99.  Esnipe got it for me for $180! :P

CaptOblivious

Btw- I'm the one who just won the 8 car Yokosuka-Sobu w/ Green car set on ebay.    Retail at Newhall station was 299.99.  Esnipe got it for me for $180! :P

I hate to burst your bubble, but Newhall Station's prices are rather...absurd. Not a good yardstick. Aside from the fact that that set is not generally available anymore, Hobby Search has it listed (out of stock) for $160. So, all told, not bad (because the set is hard to acquire), but not quite a good enough deal to write home about...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10042618

yea i saw it on hobby search but its not in stock, i NEEDED this set and i am very happy with the deal.  also hpobbysearch price in dollars is $177+ 30 shipping, i got mine for $188 shipped. 

I know they will be releasing another set in a few months for about the same price, but i need it NOWW!  i was looking for e217 for a long time.  i was willing to pay over 200$ so im satisfied.  Now its time to search for expansion cars.  Will the Tomix E217 look the same as kato?