DC Controller Question

serenityFan

Hi, just wondering, what kind of DC controller do you use or did you use before going DCC?

My layout is going to be 2 mainlines, so I need another DC controller.. Any recommendations?

-Andy

CaptOblivious

I've just got a little Tomix throttle, model N-1. Far from the best throttle I've ever seen, so can't really recommend it, except that it, being Tomix, works with Tomix accessories (feeders, turnout controls, etc).

On your layout it looks like you are going to have 2 continuous main lines running so you might need 2 transformers. The one thing I would recommend is that whatever transformer you purchase I personally like "Momentum" control. It gives the train a more realistic start up and stopping look.

One popular company is MRC, they even make a dual transformer but no Momentum control. Take a look at this link and go to the middle of the page there are 4 listed:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=MRC&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Kato also has its own transformer:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10040265 

One thing you have to consider is that if you are going to have turnouts or any other accessories running off this power pack, make sure whatever you buy is compatible.

Any members running DC have any recommendations or experiences with MRC or Kato transformers?

Thanks guys. At the moment I am using a Hornby controller that I got this from my OO scale train set. I am looking for a 2nd controller, and this hornby (although it doesn't do any funky functions) is not cheap, around 50 AUD.

The MRC ones look cool and the base price is not too far from the hornby ones. Does the momentum function really work?

Problem is shipping from the US is expensive, and they need 110V input whereas the voltage here down under is 220V.

I guess I should re-phrase the question, anyone know where I can get a cheap DC controller?

I mean any controller should be ok if I don't need the extra functions, right?

Also, the controller outputs variable voltage to control the speed of the train. (Something like between 0 Volt DC to 15 Volt DC?). And the polarity determines the direction of travel. Correct me if I'm wrong here...

However, what does the Amp do? I think the hornby controller has 1A of output, whereas the tomix controller has 0.5A of output. Does that mean it is actually not safe to use the hornby controller on my n-scale trains?

CaptOblivious

If you run 220v mains, you might look into a Gaugemaster. Very nice, but pricy too. More at Masioka's blog:

http://japanrail.wordpress.com/2008/09/29/gaugemaster-d/

The amperage is a capacity: It tells you how many trains you can run at once. With a simple DC setup, this number is pretty much of no consequence to you. This number is important if you were going to run: Lots of locos in a massive consist or; one or more very high current-draw locos (which only happens in larger scales). None of the things you plan on running will draw anywhere near the rated amperage of even the wussiest throttle you are considering, so I wouldn't worry about it. But that's what that number is for.

I have one N-1000-CL for now.  A second power pack is on the wish list.  Money keeps getting spent on trains! 

Both my DC feeders are at the same point on my double track mainline. The DC feeders have been inserted into the track from opposite sides which affects the polarity and allows me to run each track in opposite directions without changing the direction switch on the power pack.  I just plug in the track I want to run at that time.

http://jtrains.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/tomix-5534-dc-feeder/

Hi, just wondering, what kind of DC controller do you use or did you use before going DCC?

My layout is going to be 2 mainlines, so I need another DC controller.. Any recommendations?

-Andy

I'm cheap so at the moment I'm running an old MRC Tech II 2500 because I like the braking and momentum controls, though I am planning to go to a Kato unit. The MRC Tech III Railpower 1300 is a good unit for N and Z scale, but I like the Kato for plug and play, and to interconnect with the Kato switch tracks, and other accessories. One day I'd like to buy that huge one that looks like an actual control console out of a 103 class train set. Anycase I love my Tech II. There is also a Tech II line that has amp meters built in and throws out a lot of power. A few of the Tech II and Tech III's have dual control for two lines.

Thanks for the input guys ...

I'm still looking for the wussiest and cheapest controller  ;D

and btw, the hornby controller has a 16V AC out, so I can connect the kato turnout switches to the controller using Kato's AC-DC converter for turnout switches. Tested and works ok.

Thanks for the input guys ...

I'm still looking for the wussiest and cheapest controller  ;D

and btw, the hornby controller has a 16V AC out, so I can connect the kato turnout switches to the controller using Kato's AC-DC converter for turnout switches. Tested and works ok.

I want that one that looks like an actual train control, but it's like several hundred dollars.

I want that one that looks like an actual train control, but it's like several hundred dollars.

They look great, but you don't have the reaction time for two handles  at least with N gauge trams. It might work better with trains.