Japanese model railroading traditions

Nick_Burman

For those who think Japan is a modern and clean utopia..

Here are a few pics, and this just my own street... My next door neighbors burn there rubbish in their front yard??? wtf..

This is the second wealthiest country in the world, and my house still doesn't have running sewerage.. We have to get the tank pumped every month..

So feel to weather as much as you like.. As you can see.. Nothing ever gets repaired or painted here anymore..

Chris

At least the street is swept and there is no grafitti. Much better than anything I get down here...

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn
My next door neighbors burn there rubbish in their front yard?

You must have lived in a rural inaka area  (I can see a field in the background in one of the pictures).  You are not allowed to burn trash in urban areas (at least here in Sapporo).

Nothing ever gets repaired or painted here anymore

Well, that must be the type of neighborhood you lived in.  To your credit you moved out, if you didn't like it.  My neighborhood has some trashy homes, but overall it's very well maintained, and the folks across the street just put new siding on their home.

For those who think Japan is a modern and clean utopia..

Here are a few pics, and this just my own street... My next door neighbors burn there rubbish in their front yard??? wtf..

This is the second wealthiest country in the world, and my house still doesn't have running sewerage.. We have to get the tank pumped every month..

So feel to weather as much as you like.. As you can see.. Nothing ever gets repaired or painted here anymore..

It's unfortunate that you're not happy with your present location Chris. But it still looks much cleaner and orderly than many other places.  The lack of graffiti is notable. I never see the sidewalk staining found from fast foods and spilled Starbucks and there is no litter on the streets. But I do find the private properties are not as well kept as the public spaces.

Here's some examples from a blogger that photographs the side streets around stations mainly around Tokyo, but has ventured out to Meitetsu locations too. Again I find public spaces better kept than private spaces.  But who knows some of these private spaces could effectively be abandoned. I haven't had time to translate the post for detailed station locations.

Tokyo area on the JR East Keihn-Tohoku line.

http://mikkagashi.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2010/12/post-1871.html

Meitetsu station area.

http://mikkagashi.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2008/04/post_d252.html

Another Tokyo area JR station.

http://mikkagashi.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/cat20330592/index.html

North America or Europe is no where as tidy and clean.

Samurai_Chris
My next door neighbors burn there rubbish in their front yard?

You must have lived in a rural inaka area  (I can see a field in the background in one of the pictures).  You are not allowed to burn trash in urban areas (at least here in Sapporo).

Nothing ever gets repaired or painted here anymore

Well, that must be the type of neighborhood you lived in.  To your credit you moved out, if you didn't like it.  My neighborhood has some trashy homes, but overall it's very well maintained, and the folks across the street just put new siding on their home.

Oh, I am still here, not leaving until June.. I am not, nor have complained about living here.. Yes I do live in the country, so surrounded by mountains and rice fields.... But I just wanted to make the point that Japan is not all the nice things that tourists see in Tokyo..

As for it being clean.. I agree. I can go into the city and show pictures of clean streets.. But as far as I am concerned is that it is no different than any other Asian country..

As for it being clean.. I agree. I can go into the city and show pictures of clean streets.. But as far as I am concerned is that it is no different than any other Asian country..

Then you haven't been to Thailand, with its distinctive smell of raw sewage mixed with pungent curry everywhere you go.

Nick_Burman

Then you haven't been to Thailand, with its distinctive smell of raw sewage mixed with pungent curry everywhere you go.

With the smell of curry being designed to cancel (rather ineffectively...) the smell of sewage... :grin

Cheers NB

Samurai_Chris

Well I just got back from shopping at my local AEON Mall, and the building has had nothing done to it other than having it's sign changed from JUSCO to AEON a few weeks ago. And the elevators smell like arse.. Even my wife (who is Japanese) prefers to drive 20kms in the other direction to go to the newer one (4 years old) in the next town over..

Well I just got back from shopping at my local AEON Mall, and the building has had nothing done to it other than having it's sign changed from JUSCO to AEON a few weeks ago. And the elevators smell like arse.. Even my wife (who is Japanese) prefers to drive 20kms in the other direction to go to the newer one (4 years old) in the next town over..

Is it the one next to the airport you're talking about? (new one)

They have a huuuuge model store but only new stuff, no second hand. I don't remember if the prices were good.

Samurai_Chris

Is it the one next to the airport you're talking about? (new one)

They have a huuuuge model store but only new stuff, no second hand. I don't remember if the prices were good.

Nah mate, you are thinking about Diamond City in Kasuya.. But they just call them all AEON Mall now...

Yes, I know that store well, I go there weekly at least.. Nah, Diamond City has just had a huge upgrade and expansion. And is as good as any mall in the world.. Love it..

I am talking about my local here in Iizuka 15 + years old, and the 4 year old AEON Mall in Nogata..

Chris

I think in some of these scenes we see we may be missing austerity that has been viewed as a desirable character building trait since the time of the  Samurai.  Although that was long ago, Japan appears to be one place where traditions live on. Apparently the Samurai viewed thrift as a character building trait not for the purpose of economy. Austerity often isn't pretty. Many other Samurai traits like exceptional loyalty and a willingness to sacrifice their personal lives in the service of the company live on.  Some things in Japan, like the economy.  only make sense when viewed as a whole rather than viewed piece by piece against the West.

Why paint your buildings when you can just cake them in a thick layer of billboards and electrical wires!

Precisely. This is how I want my layout to look :)

post-282-13569927730662_thumb.jpg

post-282-1356992773123_thumb.jpg

I took a picture from that same pedestrian bridge.  Shitenno Ramen, on the right, is pretty good, as I recall.  Make sure you model that.  :grin

G'day all,

My apologies for not having replied to this thread sooner, but I've been away for a couple of days up at Maitland playing with steam engines.

I reckon this is one of the most interesting threads I've seen on the forum, there's been a lot of very astute and perceptive observations made about the hobby, and life in general. And I think it's great that we've seen a range of differing opinions expressed without the thread descending into a slanging match.

There are a number of previous posts I'd like to respond to, but right now I'm knackered. Bear with me until I'm awake again, I'd like to continue this discussion.

All the best,

Mark.

Why paint your buildings when you can just cake them in a thick layer of billboards and electrical wires!

You get distinctive buildings when you mix and match Kato, Tomix and Greenmax stickers.

I have travelled around both cities and countries in Japan and while pretty much everywhere is neat and tidy there is more "decay" in places. By that I mean older buildings, rust, patched up stuff... In populated areas there are not that many buildings over 25-30 years old because they love to demolish and rebuild then rather than refurbishing.

I think they allow it happen deliberately in rural areas, especially to the rolling stock. I have some DVDs I should post clips from, will have to take some photos next time I am there. You see these old nostalgic railways with cars that were commissioned in the 1930s, complete with manual lever turnouts and wooden planks for crossing at stations. They are part of the tourist attractions in the area, a slower pace of life and some cultural history.

Personally I like both styles. The authentic rural layout with a worn but cared for look, and the neat and modern urban system.

bikkuri bahn

As you mention mojo, best to refer to pictures of the prototype.  Also will add, Japan is a rainy country, so any untreated wood and plain concrete will get stained and weatherbeaten.

Personally I like both styles. The authentic rural layout with a worn but cared for look, and the neat and modern urban system.

Well said. While my preferences run to the neat/modern stuff, I'm not immune to the appeal of the other kind.  And I think you've captured the essence of both in your description.