T-Scale Headaches & Victories

Guest ___

On Thanksgiving with a day off of work, I managed to get the T-scale trains to finally work. Neither train set would run after an hour of trying to get it set up a few weeks ago. Today I decided to pull it out and try once again.  I started first with the Yamanote Line train with the 120 track, and ran it for a while to break it in. Then I put the Hanwa Line train on but this one had more problems.

Getting either train set started was a real pain because the railing device was pretty useless. As a result, I found it easier to get the trains on the track by hand. This too was a real difficult task as it took trying to rail the train to conclude how badly my hand really does shake. Steady hands is a plus I guess when working with a train this small.

I had some trouble getting the last car to stay on the tracks and lot was dragging. After ten minutes I finally got it to run fine until I reverse the direction where that pretty much through that last car, now the first car on point off the rails. I could help but have the feeling that the car was listing ever so slightly toward the outside rail and when it hit those outside curves it would really bog down. Removing that car fixed that issue.

Anycase, I then went back to running the train clockwise which had worked pretty well before hand for some time, but since the last unit of the Hanwa train would not stay on very well and was dragging. I could not for the life of me keep her on the tracks like I had before and relocating it to the front of the train made no difference. The strange thing was that no matter how close I looked, all the wheels looked like they were on the tracks, so maybe a hair got up in the truck, but darned if I could see it while inspecting.

To make matters a little more challenging, while putting the Hanwa train away I broke off a coupler, somehow I got it back on there, but damned if I know how, or if it will hold the next time I run it. Those couplers are really tiny! Has anyone else noticed it a bit tough to couple and uncouple those cars together?

Never the less, it was still neat to get it running, and look forward to playing with it some more. For anyone looking to get into the T-scale from N or Z, it really is a different beast to play with, and while it is a real challenge to work with, it's a hell of a lot of fun once you do get it working.

Wow, T scale does sound interesting.  Perhaps as time pass the technology and reliability will improve.  Is this product made in Japan?

It's surprisingly more reliable than my RealZJ stuff. The release on the Z-scale is better than Pro-Z as well. The company has managed to be pretty reliable in that regards.

Yesterday with my extra track in hand, I laid both inside and outside tracks together then installed all the double track overhead cantanry. Only problem here is that I can not for the life of me to get the rise gaps out. The inside track is a few microns too big and does not allow for the track to sit perfectly flat.Plan to run test trains today to ensure that two trains can clear each other between the two tracks..

It reminded me when N scale first came out and they were not very good runners at all, and now they run so smooth. Very interested to see such small things to run the way it does.

It reminded me when N scale first came out and they were not very good runners at all, and now they run so smooth. Very interested to see such small things to run the way it does.

Jeff's working on a T-scale layout at the same time as I am for display at club shows. Mine is on temp hold because I decided I did not like my landscape on the first attempt.

CaptOblivious

I'm sure many of you are aware of this site; if not, and you are interested in all things 'T', then it is well worth a look...

http://talkingtgauge.s2.bizhat.com/

My apologies if this has already been posted somewhere...

No apologies necessary! I don't know if that link has been posted here or not, but we've made sure they know about us. :D