Layout ready to start building!

Dani

Finally I finished the hidden part. I spent a lot of time because I planned all the wiring (DCC loop, feeders, ...).

I don't have enough time, but one day I'll reach the end.....  :cool:

post-421-13569928749532_thumb.jpg

It's been two years since I opened this post announcing the beginning of the construction of my layout. The post was lost under tons of other topics, many of them beginning after me and already finished!!

And the current update doesn't show many new things at least on the top of the layout... it's a little bit embarrassing.... but how many hours did I spend soldering boards and components, wiring, reading articles, testing software, configuring decoders, and over all learning and enjoying??? It's a pity this cannot be shown!!!

DSC05520.JPG

Also happened when the constructed part of the layout was perfectly working and fully automatized, I realized I would need more space under the table for more wires and DCC boards. So I decided to make a step back in this early phase before letting it grow uncontrolled, and remove all boards and rewire them in a hatch to be installed under the most crowded part of the layout (under the main station).

These are the results (not yet finished, and with many temporary wires):

DSC05516.JPG

DSC05522.JPG

DSC05525.JPG

Cheers,

Dani.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Wiring is usually the worst part of building a layout (right up there with ballasting ;)), because there's no real visual progression, other than that you get to run some trains on the wired sections..

Hi,

I would like to give a brief status update on my layout, it's been a lot of time without writing....  :sad5:

I've been really busy with all the digital stuff under the layout. Finally I decided to solder myself all the digital boards to control switches and detections (Loconet compatibles). I've been working also in the connection of Arduino to the Loconet network and make my own programs, so now I'm able to drive sounds and automate many things like station announces when trains arrive or depart through Loconet, fully compatible with Digitrax and Uhlenbrock stuff. And despite the top of the layout is still pending of decoration, I finally laid the last switch!!!!!! I thought it wouldn't be able to arrive at this point.

Just some figures I collected today: (I have the necessity of justifying the work after almost 5 years.... :sad2: )

* 45 meters of track

* 29 switches with servos under table

* 180 meters of different wires

* 1/2kg of tin (lot of soldering!!!)

* 250 plastic brackets

* 180 bracket bases

* +300 screews

* 35 different electronic boards under the table

First train moving on the almost finished laid track:

Cheers,

Dani

http://www.clubncaldes.com

• Like 2

This is a huge and very complex layout and it looks like everything was done the harder way, with servo motors and classic non ballasted peco track, which is one of the hardest to lay down, including lots of cutting and fiddling with ties and non matching geometry. Actually my club builds the hungarian fremo modules this way and it's very hard to get everything right, especially the servos for the turnouts. Compared to this, building with Kato or Tomix track is child's play. You also seem to hand build the control circuits, which means you are probably more professional in interfacing to Loconet than me. (i'm in the middle of creating a loconet compatible dcc center around an arduino for my club to replace the current intellibox/twin center setup and while the dcc part works, the loconet part still needs lots of debugging) So i think you did a great work in building all this alone!