Shinkansen 500 1:32 G-scale project. BACK ON TRACK

Toy Maker

BUMP..............

Just wanted to let everyone know that this project is back on track....

We had to take some time away from this project while we focused on another.

With that project up to speed, and on hold, we will be putting some serious effort into getting this beauty finished.

We will be building (4 sets) of cars at the same time. So when we finish, there should be 4 complete 16 car train sets.

If anyone might be interested in owning a set, please let me know. jamessauter@yahoo.com

There is no fixed price for this set yet, as allot of the parts are not yet completed, and parts pricing is still unknown.

Very rough figures lead me to believe the price will be between $15,000 and $25,000 for a completed 16 car set.

• Like 1

Toy Maker,

hey wonderful to hear the project is proceeding! wish i had the change laying around to buy a set, always been my dream to have a G scale shinkansen in the back yard! always was thinking the 700 series as it has the box cross section i could laser cut the windows and then just carve the noses.

keep the info coming, love to see this evolve!

thanks

jeff

Toymaker,

Seriously awesome.  I can't wait to see how this one pans out.

Regular updates would be so cool.

Cheers

The_Ghan

"Slow but Sure"

I have been having to learn a whole new world of 3D design.

These complex compound surfaces are very tricky to redesign

The hard part is almost over, and the nose design work is almost finished.

I opted to go back to AutoCAD for the nose cone. The new 2013 version now has ALLOT of the same features that SolidWorks has, but it much more flexible in the drawing department.

The hard part is over. Now I just have to do the bottom skirt portion on the nose.

NewBody1.jpg

My son also just bought an awesome new toy.....

Should make making all these custom parts MUCH faster and easier.

wow, thats fantastic! what size is it? resolution?

is he going to do any for hire work with it?

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Oooh.. Will be interesting to see the results of the 3D printer.. So far all the ones I've seen are a bit rough for N-scale, but for G-scale it should work =)

Yeah, we're going to use the machine to make the master parts, and then cast them from the masters.

I'll grow the parts 102% to allow for double shrinkage, and some fine sanding. The guy we bought the machine from,

said to hit the parts with #320 sandpaper a couple times, is all you need to get a super smooth finish. I guess we will see.

The machine should be here Wednesday I think.

And yes, we will be growing parts as a "service" for anyone interested.

thats great news! are you going to provide cad services as well? that seems to be the missing link for many that want some things but dont want to spend the time to learn cad.

whats the resolution on the printer?

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Would be cool to run some N-scale tests on that machine, pretty sure there's more than a few people on here who wouldn't mind getting some stuff printed out ;)

I love the al. extrusions.  Can't wait to see you laser cut all those windows.  I'm an architect and have been using AutoCAD since 1984, so I appreciate the effort you have been going to with the 3D geometry.  That nose cone must have you pulling your hair out.  I look forward to seeing further progress ... the cockpit bubble, for example ...  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

After working on it for an hour or 2 I was smacked in the face with the simplest solution, and though I'd test out my theory....

Took a little time, but when you pull back and look at the cockpit bubble, you come to realize it's nothing more than a portion of a "Torus"...

Duuuuuuuu  :BangHead:     I felt pretty stupid once I realized I've been working on this drawing for months and didn't realize it sooner.

Toy Maker,

I've got to ask the dumb question: Did you ever contact the designer, Alexander Neumeister, for help and advice?

Also, I was kind of hoping you might have advanced the intermediate cars a little ... any progress there?

Cheers

The_Ghan

I've been working pretty hard to get this part finished. A couple more days worth of work, and I'll be happy with it.

The problem has been trying to get a nice clean fit between the existing extrusion profile, and the nose I am designing to be cast.

The car has to stay a consistent shape till after the last window before the nose starts to taper down. You can see how I plan to cut the nose and extrusion to fit together.

You can see where the extrusion sticks out past the nose cone a hair (approx 1.5mm). The corners of the extrusion will have the be formed/bent in a little, into place to match up to the nose perfectly.

I plan to have the pieces welded, and all seams will be filled and feathered away. In the end it will look like a single piece of aluminum.

I still have a few small things to re-work, like the front wheel fenders, and I want to make the cockpit bubble a little more accurate than it is right now.

I am hoping by Monday, the nose come will be finished, and we can go into growing one to see just how well it fits.

500-front.jpg

500-profile.jpg

500-exploded.jpg

Toy Maker,

Extraordinary effort you are putting into this.  Just a couple of concerns:

1. As the prototype doesn't have joins in the locations that you plan to join the cast segment with the extrusion, how do you plan to conceal these?

2. Perhaps not evolved yet, but the cockit looks too large and too close to the nose in comparison with the prototype.  Is this still developing too?

Awesome work, BTW ... absolutely awesome!

Cheers

The_Ghan

MAJOR UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE....  Follow and LIKE this project on Facebook from now on. 

It's a little too much for me to keep posting in 3-4 different places/forums trying to keep everyone updated.

My son has set up a Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Shinkansen500

This is where he and I will be uploading photos, videos, and new info. It's much easier, and pretty much automatic to upload to FB from any of our phones, and cameras now.

This project has been going pretty slow over the last year. Been slammed with work at the shop, and haven't had much time to work on hobbies.

This week, my son took on a few parts, and I thought I'd update everyone.

He worked on a jig that took 2 days to build, that allows us to lock the cars in place, and machine the windows, doors, and any other openings that need to be cut from the sides.

He also machined a few end-caps for the cars. We needed to do a few tests to see which would be the tightest fitting inserts the help keep the extrusion to the perfect shape for the outer end-caps to fit perfectly.

Please go to the FP page to see the new parts

Toymaker,

wonderful to hear from you again! was wondering the other day where the project was. This is really going to be spectacular!

I expect that a few of these might be wanted in japan once you have a set done! Hopefully by that point doing more will be a lot easier once all the cad files and jigs are worked out.

quite spectacular! kudos!

jeff