Japan - Rainbow Ten

bill937ca

Now that HWJ is closed and HS has cut its discount to 10% (and no longer emphasizes) the discount percentage, it is time to become more familiar with Rainbow Ten.

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

Rainbow Ten has been around forever it seems.  I remember when it was just a list of items and you had to be careful with your item numbers.  You ordered by email through a multi stage process, which you still can do.  (See Ordering on the RT home page).

Its been updated and now has a shopping cart, but Rainbow Ten still has their item list. Items are listed on the item list by Japanese corporate name, which may not be the name you are familiar with.

Hasegawa = Modemo

Arii = Micro Ace

Tomy = Tomix, Tomytec

Kato

Greenmax

Platz

Tsugawa

World Art =World Craft

Rainbow Ten's web site uses frames and these links are individual pages. For full navigation access these pages through the Rainbow Ten home page at the top of this post.

N/HO item list (updated daily):

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/data/etrain.htm

There is also a separate list of new items that arrived this week on the column to the left on the home page.

Beta Shopping Cart

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/R10/R10gemenunew.html

The shopping cart is less sophisticated than HS.  The pictures are smaller, there's no currency conversion on the page, but the [glow=red,2,300]20% discount[/glow] is shown very clearly.

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/cgi-bin/R10addcart.cgi?picture=4543736017905&noo=0151601501790

Shipping: EMS or SAL or Air or Surface

Payment: VS, MC, Amex, PayPal

Rainbow Ten offers another shopping option for your model trains.

• Like 4

Thanks for the info, I hadn't realised they'd updated their website, I hadn't looked at it for years.

I might have to place an order to test them out. :grin

P.S. Just ordered some Kawai freight cars HS show as 'long sold out'.

CaptOblivious

I still use the old-style product list and email method. I actually rather like it, frankly, requires fewer steps, and searching is fast!

RT has been my go-to shop since I first started buying Japanese trains. Their customer service is excellent, too.

angusmclean

I still use the old-style product list and email method. I actually rather like it, frankly, requires fewer steps, and searching is fast!

RT has been my go-to shop since I first started buying Japanese trains. Their customer service is excellent, too.

Also easy to copy/paste and place in Save for future orders :))

Angus

Argh I can't stand text based links I rely on images to find what I want to click on.

Don't suppose you were once a purchasing supply manager before the age of pc's.

Looks very much like when my dad use to bring home and help him sort when I was a kid but this is on a pc :S

CaptOblivious

Arch I can't stand text based links I rely on images to find what I want to click on.

Don't suppose you were once a purchasing supply manager before the age of pc's.

Looks very much like what my dad use to bring home and help him sort when I was a kind bu on a pc :S

Me? No. But I've always been the sort of geek who prefers keyboard shortcuts and text-based interfaces. I use a Mac, but I rely on terminal.app as my primary user interface D:

Anyway, I use HS and other sites to develop a sense of what it is I want, and then search for it in their list. It's pretty easy: Want something Keisei? Just search for Keisei, and do a copy-and-paste if you see something you already know you like. See something new or intriguing? Just google it. :D

I'm probably going to use Rainbow Ten soon, as there are some interesting 20% offers :) Screw HS.

Me? No. But I've always been the sort of geek who prefers keyboard shortcuts and text-based interfaces. I use a Mac, but I rely on terminal.app as my primary user interface D:

Damn. That's hardcore.

Martijn Meerts

I'm probably going to use Rainbow Ten soon, as there are some interesting 20% offers :) Screw HS.

Damn. That's hardcore.

That's why he's doing the technical side of the JNS Forum stuff.. He posts these logs of what he's done with the server, and the rest of us just nod like we understand what on earth he's saying ;)

How does payment work? Do you pay with the shopping cart like a normal ecommerce site, or do you get a paypal or other money request later?

It's a long time I'm (I think  :grin ) the best buyer from Italy, at 99% all my collection came from Rainbowten.

Mr.Nao is really willing and all the staff work really fine

(just today I received the invoice for the new Hayabusa)

the best thing is the pre-order management, in the last 10 years I've never lost trains I've reserved

p.s. I work only whit pre-order so I still use the old e-mail method

Ciao

Massimo

CaptOblivious

How does payment work? Do you pay with the shopping cart like a normal ecommerce site, or do you get a paypal or other money request later?

You send an email with your selections (copied-and-pasted from product list), and calculate the total. If paying by CC, you include your CC number (yuck!); if by PayPal, your PayPal email address.

They reply with an email confirming your order and the total and (if paying by CC) the confirmation will include payment success. If paying by PayPal, they send a separate payment request through PayPal.com, and a receipt when they receive the payment.

You send an email with your selections (copied-and-pasted from product list), and calculate the total. If paying by CC, you include your CC number (yuck!); if by PayPal, your PayPal email address.

You send the CC number in more than one email if I remember right. More info from the Rainbow Ten web site:

How to order.

Payment

So if I understand the shopping cart is just a calculator then, the actual ordering is still mail order style. Unfortunately it would have to be something I can't get elsewhere then. On the bright side Plaza Japan has had some good prices - I picked up my E231 set over the weekend at about the 20% off mark.

CaptOblivious

So if I understand the shopping cart is just a calculator then, the actual ordering is still mail order style. Unfortunately it would have to be something I can't get elsewhere then. On the bright side Plaza Japan has had some good prices - I picked up my E231 set over the weekend at about the 20% off mark.

Never used the shopping cart. Might be more sophisticated than that, but I couldn't say.

Hi Bill or others,

I am a little lost in there, is there a pre-order option?  You know how much I wanted the Modemo NT123...

Pre-orders are handled strictly by email. Just email them the details on what you want, and they'll set you up.

angusmclean

Scroll down the left menu frame to 'How to Order' and follow the instructions.  If you liked HW's roundabout site, you will enjoy this.

Angus

angusmclean

For those concerned as I was about cc payment, obtain a membership number with your first order (I even went to the extent of sending my cc number split in two emails;  talk about paranoia).  All I do is order a current or future release in plain text to the order email address and quote that number, as all the original details are held on file.

Angus

I used the shopping cart and checked Paypal as the option, they seem to work the same as HS with Paypal, place your order and you get an email with payment details once your order is packed and ready to ship, I'm still waiting for that but I'll give them a couple of days seeing it was a weekend. Although I didn't try the option the shopping cart asks for CC details so I can't see the need to email those details. If you use the shopping cart you don't appear to need to send emails, I didn't, I just clicked on the 'send order' at the end and immediately got an email back from them saying my order had been placed.

Apart from the product descriptions not being as detailed my initial thoughts are that they are as easy to order from as HS.

Bill,

I forgot to thank you for your great introduction to Rainbow 10.  Top post!  :icon_cheers:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Bill,

I forgot to thank you for your great introduction to Rainbow 10.  Top post!   :icon_cheers:

Thank you. 

I used the shopping cart and checked Paypal as the option, they seem to work the same as HS with Paypal, place your order and you get an email with payment details once your order is packed and ready to ship, I'm still waiting for that but I'll give them a couple of days seeing it was a weekend. Although I didn't try the option the shopping cart asks for CC details so I can't see the need to email those details. If you use the shopping cart you don't appear to need to send emails, I didn't, I just clicked on the 'send order' at the end and immediately got an email back from them saying my order had been placed.

Apart from the product descriptions not being as detailed my initial thoughts are that they are as easy to order from as HS.

I used the shopping cart for the first time tonight and I agree it is as easy to use as HS but with a much better discounts.  The descriptions are less specific than HS, but most of us look for a product and then the best price.   :grin