Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I understand you Mr keio6000.

I am the same.  Afraid to damage the model.

Incidentally, I have just acquired the necessary EF63 to go with my Tomix 169系, 92995.

New Release from Kato scheduled Nov 2014:

http://www.katomodels.com/product/poster/files/2014_11.jpg

583 series! Interesting!

E657 Super Hitachi re-release

Hankyu 6300 series re-release?

D51 Steam engines

Twlight Express

a Local station building

a rather nice looking house!

Quite an interesting poster release from Kato! Tempting the 583 is...

Edited by JR500 のぞみ

Hello Mr JR500,

Yes, 583系 13-car consist piques my interest ... but I have two already: Tomix (92326 +) and Kato (10-395 +).

I look forward to more info about this.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

These releases I guess are for people who missed similar models the first time around. They are all good models, but nothing particuarly new (except for the new Super HItachi, I guess).

I am a great fan of Kato and nearly always choose the Kato option over tomix or MicroAce.  however, 583 is one where Tomix gets the nod.  In general, Tomix HG series, like their 583, are worth getting.

The Hankyu train is lovely, but my collection is crazy enough without needing to start on Hankyu :)

In other news, EMS seems to have lost my NEX E259 and Odakyu 9000 :(

Guest Closed Account 1

The D51s are new stock numbers, so must be a new versions. What are they?

Review the poster. They are right next to the money.

2016-5 and 2018-1 respectively.

Hint: We tend to use 1999.co.jp/eng/ as an online catalog only. Then we buy from Loco1Hobby.com :wink:

Webskipper - I'm pretty sure I posted they were new stock numbers. Wasn't the question I asked though.

westfalen - Thanks. Now to find what version they are.

Edited by katoftw
Guest Closed Account 1

I overlooked that little fact. They are listed as D51-1 based on Tohoku region specifications.

You'll need to internet search for differences between the locomotives by region. I'm sure there are some museum pics around. Many historic trains were lost in the tsunami.

Discussions on specific trains should be continued within dedicated threads.

This topic is merely for announcements.

Edited by Webskipper

These releases I guess are for people who missed similar models the first time around. They are all good models, but nothing particuarly new (except for the new Super HItachi, I guess).

I am a great fan of Kato and nearly always choose the Kato option over tomix or MicroAce.  however, 583 is one where Tomix gets the nod.  In general, Tomix HG series, like their 583, are worth getting.

The Hankyu train is lovely, but my collection is crazy enough without needing to start on Hankyu :)

In other news, EMS seems to have lost my NEX E259 and Odakyu 9000 :(

Actually, the E657 Super-Hitachi is also a re-release. The original was released in Oct 2012: http://www.katomodels.com/product/poster/files/2012_10a.jpg  

It was a favourite and was out of stock very quickly, and became inflated prices on Yahoo Auctions. It is a good time to get it again for those who missed it. I would give it a pass though, the previous E651 appealed to me more with the front LED screen and bubble headed cabin.

My sentiments exactly, the Hankyu is sexy but I don't want to start another line too. Much as possible, JR is already keeping me very poor with their releases...

Sorry to hear about your parcel! Luckily it is EMS though, so it can be tracked and insured. Have you contacted the seller? I think you can get back the insurance for the goods too, good thing about EMS over SAL.

It looks like Kato are setting out to do every variation of the D51.

I think Nariichi san from MTP has mentioned this in his Kato weekly meeting report in his blog before because of the release of the Kato turn-table they're out to release more steam engines. Makes prefect sales scene too since it will mean more cash in terms of both model and the turn-table sales alike.

Hello keio6000,

So sorry, but as I own both consists I must disagree.  The Kato version is exceptional quality and even boasts hoses on the couplers, which the Tomix does not.  The single difference that I can pick in favour of Tomix is the 92326 has a painted windshield wiper, while the Kato 10-395 does not. In fact, on other Tomix HG models I have, 92385/7/8, 92396, this is also the single feature that stands out.  With 92326 you have the option of purchasing a second motor car in 92327, but you can skip that and buy an unmotorised version if you wish,92328.

With 92385, 165系 Shonan colour, the couplers also do not have hoses and car numbers must be applied by hand (I rarely get these perfect).  The Kato version 10-332 comes with more detailed couplers including hoses and painted numbers on the car body.

With 92396, Yufuin-no-Mori, however, the Tomix product is superior to the Micro Ace A2161.  Tomix has TN couplers, hoses and far more underbody detail.  The MA has Arnold couplers and limited underbody detail.  The dummy coupler on the nose is also slightly translucent, which is annoying.

So, I think Tomix HG models can be hit and miss.  I certainly like those that I own, but I would not purchase one because it has HG stamped on the box.  I purchase based on product quality and running numbers.  I can run two 583系 with different running numbers.  Same with the 165系.

Hello,

The 583系 is of particular interest because it might be DCC friendly and might have different running numbers.  I need to take time to investigate this thoroughly before commenting further.

Hello Mr JR500,

Yes, 583系 13-car consist piques my interest ... but I have two already: Tomix (92326 +) and Kato (10-395 +).

I look forward to more info about this.

Me too E6 san. Waiting for more information on this. It sounds like a pretty good set to get, especially since recently posted thread on the 583 series. Very interesting train set to get.

Not exactly a new release, but Kato is releasing this during the Model Rail Contest scheduled 9th August - 10th August in Tokyo:

http://www.moraco.jp/#!item/c5gw

It's a Girls and Panzer train, in N scale! Doubtful it will be a motorised car, and looking at the price tag of 4000 yen is rather scary, but heck it's limited!  

MTP's latest newsletter also mentioned about this:

http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=87021827d50c8e5ef391f18fb&id=d6bd09c2ec&e=762008422d

Edited by JR500 のぞみ
Guest keio6000

It's a Girls and Panzer train, in N scale! Doubtful it will be a motorised car, and looking at the price tag of 4000 yen is rather scary, but heck it's limited!  

Maybe I should lighten up a bit, but Girls und Panzer seems to cross too many lines for me.   When i was in akihabara last april, the stairwell of a hobbyshop that one had to climb to get to the trains was promoting it heavily with images of very very young looking girls half dressed in nazi uniforms and in sexy poses.  look, I grew up in tokyo not too far from shinjuku 2 and 3 chome  nothing shocks me and this didn't shock me.  But it just strikes me as a bit too much, or at least it strikes me as wrong that it's as popular as it is (painted on trains) rather than being some obscure thing for some subset of socially deficient weirdos.  And yes, I do realize that the anime shows themselves are not that bad (I watched one online) and the tanks are cool.  But still.   This wouldn't fly for one microsecond in a western country on any number of levels and sometimes, victoria, it is ok to hold Japan up to that mirror too.   Maybe I am still angry that the Japanese public had some small mania over some attractive female russian officer who was involved with the Russian invasion of sovereign ukraine earlier this year - they chose to be totally ignorant of the blatant violation of international law and concentrate on "the kawaii propaganda factor"  To me, it was sickening.

That said, the kato GuP train is amazingly unimaginative.  There must have been more interesting potential designs.  It looks like somebody took some clip-art and took it to the applique factory an hour later.

Ochanomizu-san: thank you for the advice on the 583.  Maybe then I will sell my Tomix set, as it is the one that I am too intimidated to build myself properly.  I just can't see how the Kato can be better given that the tomix has an infinite number of small parts to add detail and interest but I will defer to your expertise.  Plus, I only have the single 5-car 583 HG starter set. While I am not a person who must have trains at prototype length, for a 583, 5-cars is too short.  

My experience with tomix HG for example is their 169 series.  I have both the Mitaka and Nagano colored ones and they are beautiful.  I bought the Mitaka one with the add-on bits already expertly applied.

I also have a HG EF63 2-loco set and it's quite good.

JR500-san: My lost EMS package was sent via Buyee as the items were bought via Yahoo.   I am still waiting on a resolution from them.  The package was sent i think in may.  The japanese post office has yet to respond.   The situation is a bit complicated as I had this sent to my place in Ukraine, but it should not really be a problem as it's western ukraine, far away from any problems.   I have received SAL parcels from them there before without any problems.

however, in general, my intention is to move as much of my purchases as I can to modeltrainplus and Mr. Nariichi in the future.

Edited by keio6000
  • Like 1

Hello Mr keio6000,

I have a spare 92130 583系 2-car add-on set (blue and cream colour).  It is suitable for 92325, 92326, 92734, or 92735 sets.

92325 and 93236 basic sets include cars 1, 2, 3, 5, and 13.  92130 includes 2 cars to make up cars 4 and 5, 8 and 9, or 10 and 11.  So you need 3 x 92130 or 92328 to make  a full consist.  You can get 2 x plus 1 x 92327 (motorised version of 2 car set) if you want a second motor car.  To make up the full 13 cars, add 8916 (car 7) and 8915 (car 12).

This will make the complete 13-car set running from Ueno to Aomori from October 1979 to October 1986.

If you want further info just let me know which consist you would like to make, and I will tell you the Tomix part.  You can see all here: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/583%E7%B3%BB

Edited by E6系

The D51s are new stock numbers, so must be a new versions. What are they?

From the picture, looks like the Namekuji "slug" versions with the long domes.

Guest keio6000

Hello Mr keio6000, I have a spare 92130 583系 2-car add-on set (blue and cream colour).  It is suitable for 92325, 92326, 92734, or 92735 sets.

Hello E6-san, that's very kind of you, I will still think about the decision.

Ochanomizu's post sparked my interest. I have the 2013 Kato catalog and the 2006 tomix catalog here.   Unless something has changed significantly since the 2013 kato catalog, i can't see his point.   Again, I am a huge Kato fan, but in this case I see:

- tomix HG uses close coupling.  yes, no hoses, but kato's "hoses" are the generic type that you can get on add-on couplers.  advantage: tomix

- tomix HG's roof detail is clearly vastly superior to Kato's.  Advantage: tomix

- tomix HG' uses 'slot type' lighted headmarks which make a better effect than the rounded ones that kato uses. again, advantage tomix.

hmmm...

Hello Mr keio6000,

So sorry if I have offended you.  This was not my intention.  583系 is one of my favourite consists and I own a 13-car set in both Tomix and Kato.  I would not part with either of them and recommend that you keep your 5-car starter set.

583系 uses 4 hoses between intermittent cars.  They connect to the underbody (whereas some trains have hose connections halfway up the body of the car).  To me, the Kato model looks like a good representation and the height of connection appears correct.  You can see on a photo of a disused car here: http://cdn-ak.f.st-hatena.com/images/fotolife/p/p0lar-star/20120623/20120623090435.jpg  I would ask you how much more prototypical you would want the hoses to be.

The debate has prompted me to review both consists over the weekend.  If memory serves me correctly, the diaphragms on the Tomix model look superior to the Kato.

A 13-car consist from Kato will cost you less than ¥20,000 (based on 20% off RRP), while the same consist from Tomix is almost ¥30,000.  My point with the 583系 is that I don't believe the Kato model to be 30% worse than the Tomix.

• Like 1
Guest keio6000

Hello Mr keio6000,

So sorry if I have offended you.  This was not my intention.  583系 is one of my favourite consists and I own a 13-car set in both Tomix and Kato.  I would not part with either of them and recommend that you keep your 5-car starter set.

A 13-car consist from Kato will cost you less than ¥20,000 (based on 20% off RRP), while the same consist from Tomix is almost ¥30,000.  My point with the 583系 is that I don't believe the Kato model to be 30% worse than the Tomix.

Sorry if I misstated something.. you didn't offend me at all! I hope i did not offend you.  My goal was simply to judge your ideas against what limited I know to see if I can come to some conclusion.

I agree with you that the Kato model is not bad and has some advantages, though i tend to think that the close TN coupling is more important than the "4 hoses."  I also might agree with you that given the differences in cost, it is possible to make an argument either way.  I just interpreted your message to suggest that the kato was objectively better. which, perhaps given your criteria it is, but i think not so for me.

I will try to bulk up my add-ons at one point and may even discuss the offer of E6-san.   I don't necessarily need all 13 cars,

By the way, here is a kato 13-car set starting at JPY 9000:

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b160302992

Maybe this is an 'old mould', i dion't know.

This auction for tomix:

http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c469830275

with 4 hours left seems it will sell for not much more than 10000 or so (but who knows)

In general, one thing about 583/485/183 and  similar sets is that they really lose their value in their aftermarket, so are available mostly pretty cheap.  which makes me feel stupid for having made an amateur mistake for having bought tomix 92325 new. :)

Hello Mr keio6000,

If you check the HS website you will see a brief description of 10-1237 583系 in Japanese.  It appears that most of the early 12 and 13 car organisations are covered by the products offered.  With little information on the Kato website at this point, my guess is the primary change is flywheel motor and DCC.  I am very tempted to purchase the new one from Loco1Hobby.

Of course, this is an excellent reason for everyone to want the new model ... and to dispose of the old.  Thus, the low resale price.  But don't forget, with those online auctions you will need to add tax 8%, local shipping and often a banking fee as well any charges from the forwarding company you use.

Edited by E6系

hello,

I have found the information everyone was wondering i hope it helps in reserving and getting the right sets.

Sorry i cannot translate fully so i used google at the end.

■ Product Introduction
the completion of electrification work and double track upgrade of the Tohoku Line in 1968, express type AC-DC train 581 system sleeper express appeared in 1967, 581 only supported AC 50Hz for eastern Japan, the 583 has been improved for use of both 50 / 60Hz.  "hatsukari" and "Hakutsuru" overnight express sleeper began as the  "Yuzuru" working between aomori and Ueno.

I will deliver in the lineup that can reproduce 1978 of (1978) in October timetable revision at that time, a variety of organization of the Tohoku and Kansai.
Now, since it has become a set configuration remains in Akita vehicle center of JR East, can be reproduced also existing six-car train active in organizations such as trains, you can enjoy a wide range of generation to JR from JNR era.

-car reproduce the state of the nocturnal bed. By removing the middle bed parts, seat state of the line day and can be reproduced.
F
idelity in a new mold appearance that different Kuhane 583 ④ new appearance, Mohane 582 window placement, such as an array of roof ventilator, the 581 system.

top car Kuhane 583, reproduces the features such as Thailand phone cover for cold climates.
Dummy couplers at the top part, set in one of the state fitted with a coupler cover.

on the roof cooler parts of another. Push form ventilator becomes linearly arranged, reproduce the roof top of the atmosphere different from the 581 system.
Different from the

581 system, side door handrails form of embedded also faithfully reproduced.
Equipped with a train mark conversion device to

top car front. Selected as "soaked", "Hakutsuru", "morning star", "Grouse" and (Illustration type).
Sold separately, was released at the same time (two kinds of illustrations and characters) set of train mark conversion device corresponding to the 583 system and the 581 system.

lateral curtain, car number comes with corresponding seal. "Express" is printed aspects type Sabo. ★★ bed mark also printed.
Reproduce the "circulation type sewage treatment system" in the toilet part under the floor of the car

end. Set a new under-floor toilet area.

coupler, standard equipped with a body-mount KATO coupler stretch dense continuous form an intermediate portion. Reproduce the connecting part a feeling manner.

power Equipped with a flywheel power unit proven. Achieve powerful running in the 13-car full organization.
Basic set

package, book case (six-car type). 3 cars, 2 both hematopoietic set decorative paper box of a foam insole both."

post-445-0-10094000-1408359460_thumb.jpg

bnicolas1987

Hi,

I have a question about Kato future projects in HO, does anyone know if they will finish the Hokutosei? It remains three cars to do.

Thank you!!!

Nicolas

Hi,

I have a question about Kato future projects in HO, does anyone know if they will finish the Hokutosei? It remains three cars to do.

Thank you!!!

Nicolas

Although no date is given, the three remaining cars are listed as coming soon in the 2014 catalogue.