Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Guest Closed Account 1

Is it easily removable or is it supposed to be part of the antiquing aging effect?

Looks like its intended. Find some historic picture and compare.

Wasn't able to remove it easily and didn't want to risk damaging the car. The strange thing is that the older model that was produced by Kato for the Japanese version doesn't have this according to the photos I found on the net.

If anyone else has bought this set, I would like to know if you too have off-white paint in the corners of your model. Thanks.

I have bought it, it's currently on trip from japan to home

I'll let you know as soon as I get it

I have found some images of NIOE and it was white, but Martijn can confirm, he has the NIOE set

Edited by Melandir
Martijn Meerts

I have the original release though, not the new version.. I haven't noticed any color differences in the cars, but then again, I haven't really checked either.. 

I just had a good look at my original version, the white is a uniform colour along the whole car.

Nick_Burman

Back-track a little, Kato has posted a video of the new turn table:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-eIXRwmTRQ

It's amazing! Makes me want one on my layout, not that I have that many steam locomotives...

* Side note, I find Kato videos very impressive always. Good video taking capturing the highlights of the set + nice music to accompany them*

I saw the real thing at Hobby Center Kato. Looks good but works even better!

Cheers NB

I saw the real thing at Hobby Center Kato. Looks good but works even better!

Cheers NB

I had a play with one at Tam Tam last week. I like the way the turntable bridge slows down before it stops at the track.

Will it (the turntable) work also in DCC?

Cheers.

You can power the track on the turntable with DC or DCC, it is seperate from the power supply used to turn the table.

Nick_Burman

I had a play with one at Tam Tam last week.

Envy! :-)

Cheers NB

I have the Kato 10-578 Yamanote line E231-500 basic set with 4 cars. I am thinking about to have the full, 11 cars train, but the add-on sets are sold out. I saw kato has a set as 10-890, 10-891 and 10-892. Do you know is there a difference between the older set and this one? Can I order the 891, 892 add-on sets and will those match with my basic set or I shouldn't do that?

Darklighter

I have the Kato 10-578 Yamanote line E231-500 basic set with 4 cars. I am thinking about to have the full, 11 cars train, but the add-on sets are sold out. I saw kato has a set as 10-890, 10-891 and 10-892. Do you know is there a difference between the older set and this one? Can I order the 891, 892 add-on sets and will those match with my basic set or I shouldn't do that?

I'm no expert but the color of the boogies is different. And you would have two #7 cars but no #10 car and only one car with 6 doors.

I just checked banzaihobby.com, and they have both of the add-on sets you need. 

http://banzaihobby.com/model-trains/kato/train-set-n/series-e231-500-yamanote-line-3-car-set-add-on-b

http://banzaihobby.com/model-trains/kato/train-set-n/series-e231-500-yamanote-line-4-car-set-add-on-a

The prices look reasonable, too. 

Darklighter

But are they really in stock? You can put 100 sets in your cart without getting the "out of stock"-message and it's very unlikely that they have this amount on stock. So I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Edited by Darklighter

If anyone else has bought this set, I would like to know if you too have off-white paint in the corners of your model. Thanks.

Just checked mine out, and yes, the Pullman car is painted slightly off-white at the ends.  It's not just painting though, there's horizontal texturing across that section if you look very carefully.

Checked out my original set and it is not present.

While I don't doubt that Kato has done this deliberately based on some form of evidence, I have gone through a large number of "modern" CIWL car photos and have yet to come across any car that has a horizontal pattern in this spot.  I'll keep looking.

Can you make a high resolution photo of the area in question? It would be interesting to see this pattern. (i would like to know if the white paint is just missing or was painted over)

Guest Closed Account 1

Moderators please move the Orient Express discussion to its own thread.

It's a nice train and deserves its own thread.

Yes feel free to move this discussion to its own topic. You are right about horizontal lines/textures. Unfortunately my camera can't seem to focus that well to capture those subtle lines. I am just curious as to what it is. Obviously it seems like Kato have gone out of their way to show this as it was not present in the previous releases. Anyone have a contact at Kato who can tell us why they did this?

Edited by smit

Must resist hitting buy button on the Shonan-Shinjuku Line E233s. haha

edit// Takasaki/Utsunomiya Line according to HS. Comes in a 8, 2 and 5 car set.

Normally these come in 4 basic, 4 add on, 2 addon and 5 car add on with motor sets.

Edited by katoftw
Guest keio6000

Nice nagano area 115... Reasonably priced... And only a few months after i finally sourced the slightly htf tomix version :)

Edited by keio6000
Guest keio6000

I have 2 x 10-585 3-car set.  I also have Tomix 169 series.  92444 and 92445.  But I do not have EF63 to run with 169.

tomix HG 169s are lovely.  i was fortunate enough to buy mine at an excellent price some years ago from yahoo jp and.. here's the critical thing - the extra bits were already very competently installed.  contrast this to my tomix HG 583 which every few months i open, look at, and then put back in the box scared of messing it up by attaching the many add-on pieces.  as a result, my 583 looks plainer than the 'regular' kato 583 since i am afraid to put the detail pieces on :)