Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

16 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

This would be a case of "dir" in German tho 😄

true.  I should have translate it in my head into German to confirm the middle english.  I'll update the example.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, chadbag said:

Not suer what I was trying to say when I quoted it -- probably mis-click to quote the whole previous.  Sorry..

Edited by chadbag
13 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Yes “thee’ is dative, as in “I give this to thee.”

Better:  I givest thee this.  

to thee uses the helping word "to" for the indirectness.   Better examples are constructed where the dative case alone shows that.  ("to" would require the dative case of the word so you are not wrong -- it's just "cheating" 🙂  )

• Haha 1
Das Steinkopf
On 12/6/2022 at 5:12 AM, chadbag said:

As an aside, for those without a master's degree in "16th century English":   (I'll reference German here since they actually follow this still while English just has "you"/"your" all around) -- (Not that I have such a degree either)

singular

thou is the subject or nominative case for "you".  "Thou shouldst go to bed."   "Thou art finished, I say!".   Equivalent to German "Du"

thee is the object or accusative case for "you".    "I givest thee a black eye!"    "Thou art a numbskull, I must correcteth thee".  Equivalent to German "Dich"

thine is the possessive for "your".    "Thine attention wouldst be required".  Equivalent to German "Dein"

plural

ye is the subject or nominative case for "you" [plural].   "Ye art vipers of the first degree!".  Equivalent to German "Ihr"

you is the object or accusative case for "you" [plural].  " I giveth you -- Sir Galahad!"    (meaning I present to you [plural] -- Sir Galahad -- who now comes on stage).  Equivalent to German "Euch"

I assume possessive is "your" in plural in middle English.

I also did not talk about the "Dative" or indirect object case.  I suspect "thee" is also used in Dative singular, equivalent to "Dir" and that "you" is used in dative plural, euivalent to German "Euch"

The rate you are going you will end up having the lyrics to  Rammstein song splayed out upon this page.

Will dich lieben und verdammen 😜

2 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

The rate you are going you will end up having the lyrics to  Rammstein song splayed out upon this page.

Will dich lieben und verdammen 😜

Ich lieb Dich nicht, Du liebst mich nicht, a-ha

Da Da Da

• Haha 2
Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Ich lieb Dich nicht, Du liebst mich nicht, a-ha

Da Da Da

I remember the Anglicised version as a kid, never heard the original German version until today.

• Haha 2
52 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I remember the Anglicised version as a kid, never heard the original German version until today.

I went to Germany in HS in 1983 -- about the time this was popular there and I ended up getting the album gifted to me.  So my initial knowledge of this song was in German.  Later in the 1990s, in the US,  Volkswagen used this song in its advertising...  And that made it somewhat popular.  Most people I know in the US who know it know it from the 90s when it kind of made a resurgence.

Don't know its history outside the US.

Das Steinkopf
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

I went to Germany in HS in 1983 -- about the time this was popular there and I ended up getting the album gifted to me.  So my initial knowledge of this song was in German.  Later in the 1990s, in the US,  Volkswagen used this song in its advertising...  And that made it somewhat popular.  Most people I know in the US who know it know it from the 90s when it kind of made a resurgence.

Don't know its history outside the US.

I was in High School at the time that it came out, Men Without Hats Safety Dance was fairly popular around the same time so it kind of matched the style of music at the time.

• Like 1

There is EF510-500 of JRF scheduled for march 2023. I don't know if it comes DCC-ready or not, as it can be sound-equipped, but there's no information which decoder fits in.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jaco3011 said:

There is EF510-500 of JRF scheduled for march 2023. I don't know if it comes DCC-ready or not, as it can be sound-equipped, but there's no information which decoder fits in.

Pretty sure if Kato sais "sound", they mean there will be a sound card available, nothing close to anything build inside the Loco.

Knowing Kato, there wont fit any decoder, but some third party replacement boards (Digitrax, NGDCC) might be available.

Edited by Wolf
Spelling error
1 hour ago, Jaco3011 said:

I see nothing in the description that suggests sounds or dcc. Just the switch for lighting modes.

This isn't a new engine, just paint scheme. So if you wanna equip it for dcc, I am sure you won't have hassle googling it.

2 hours ago, Jaco3011 said:

This is an HO release, not N, in case of any confusion. They are not DCC ready although HCK have released DCC sound versions of the Hokutosei livery one before. Lots of room inside for decoder and speaker but would need a slightly different set up for wiring as these use 2 independent motors mounted in the leading bogies. There is no 8 pin socket in these locos, same as the EF81. 

Some of the images and descriptions of DCC conversions have the decoder soldered to the original lighting board. From these descriptions it seems they’ve set it up whereby you can switch tail light function on/off but would need to still turn the manual selector to change between tail light and shunting mode light. This seems less than ideal for a DCC locomotive but I’m sure you can change this. 

I’m currently in the process of weathering my ex-hokutosei JRF one and here is what the chassis looks like.

No internal motor or drive shafts and there are 2 pre-moulded spaces for cylindrical speaker housings.

09B3FBF1-4188-4B16-9498-33A81558E02E.thumb.jpeg.8688ada9a1eabb0d8aa12df0b57b4438.jpeg

There is space in the side for the decoder.

14A2C771-44CB-42B5-B8DF-D64673B5B893.thumb.jpeg.dfc67e280e8fd67758610e5f701a2f94.jpeg

The lighting board is quite a bit smaller than other Kato HO with 6 SMD LEDs, 2 headlight on top and 4 tail light underneath.

9F995367-E0EE-4130-A8F4-49BB72D98B51.thumb.jpeg.6a872948013f1336811e9131c6bd1f7c.jpeg

0C95D8F9-6974-404B-80C0-934FFC9F1B27.thumb.jpeg.5e8828aee4d186de2d8d3b6a5af69713.jpeg

There are very long lighting prisms running to the front of the loco from each LED.

10F586B0-FFF0-4084-85CA-D624AFB037B7.thumb.jpeg.b866fc42f032ff2c262d547a7d8e5584.jpeg

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

@Kamome Is that grey plastic stem the light mode selector?

Yes, simple rotating contact switch that connects power to the 2 tail LEDs each end, or 1 for shunting light or none for off. I’m not really a big fan of it but allows some DC functionality, although fiddly and annoying to do whilst on the track.  

The HO EF81 has pretty much the same chassis, be it shorter, and an identical lighting board and switch. The EF81 switch is actually hidden under the large silver roof cowling whereas the EF510 switch protrudes out of the top of the body shell and mimics the upright section of one of the GPS antennas. 

465F0244-60E4-455E-BF59-A915F21BC66A.jpeg

39 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

And apparently not a single item that is not yet known is in it 😞

😲 there are not enough release to buy for this year?

2023 has not yet started and I've already "debts" for 1,5-2K€... 🤑

happy new costly year!

ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1
3 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

And apparently not a single item that is not yet known is in it 😞

True. But it is still a big deal for some of new guys.

I think this is SUPER hot, being just released from the news and all:

Well not so hot in terms of the news for me.... The dream express looks very interesting, and then i spotted the HO logo 

Interesting to see the gangway for the front cars of E353 finally being released! I recall it was SUPER expensive when it was released as a two car set by Kato store exclusive... Now i wonder if they will also do it for the Sunrise Express...

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Was kind of tempted by the Dream Express. Then I saw the price tag. More than the Hokutosei base set and only three coaches?

Have a feeling that Tomix did it in N a while ago, for anyone who was interested until they saw HO? It kept popping up when I was trying to cobble together a couple of Hokutosei sets a few years back.