Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Those car carriers seem interesting, might have to place an order for a few of them.

Going with a full rerelease of the ICE4 with only the cab in the green stripe livery is definitely an interesting choice…seems like a missed opportunity to sell the green cab cars separately for those who own the last ICE4 set.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202104261921396086943327989/2021_9.pdf

Edited by TSK1000
  • Like 1

Wow, september looks like a small release.  I'm glad they're re-running all their HO cars, but since i got the last run there's not much for me here. 

roadstar_na6

Interestingly they re-release the Mani44 but not the whole 10-1590 Post/Baggage Train that Kato recommends to have the Mani running with...

7 hours ago, TSK1000 said:

Those car carriers seem interesting, might have to place an order for a few of them.

Going with a full rerelease of the ICE4 with only the cab in the green stripe livery is definitely an interesting choice…seems like a missed opportunity to sell the green cab cars separately for those who own the last ICE4 set.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202104261921396086943327989/2021_9.pdf

With you on this one, selling the end cars would have been an immediate purchase for me. Not sure I can justify 2 x 12 car ICE 4’s 🤔

Guy

• Like 2

I hope the 7 car ICE-4 formation is just a mock-up on the poster. If they can be connected to another ICE-4 I would be quite interested. Unfortunately that would require a new mold and new undercar so, probably not gonna happen.

• Like 2

Interesting these containers are suddenly being re-released after all the talk of Toyota and Nissan trains on a different thread. Nothing for me here although the E257-2000 is also out. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Almost tempted to order the four car ICE-4 set, just to have the cab cars, but I'll probably resist. 

Just out of curiosity gavino200, you know a lot about ICE trains so how would this 4 car basic set work with an existing 12 car? Could you just swap out the 4 red stripe and replace with the new green stripe or would it not match the coach numbers / names?

Guy

Yavianice
59 minutes ago, GCS said:

Just out of curiosity gavino200, you know a lot about ICE trains so how would this 4 car basic set work with an existing 12 car? Could you just swap out the 4 red stripe and replace with the new green stripe or would it not match the coach numbers / names?

The 4 car set is just the base version of the 12 car set. So you can interchange as you like.

• Thanks 1
gavino200
1 hour ago, GCS said:

Guy

Guy, I have a fascination with ICEs and German trains. I know a bit about them, but definitely not a lot. For knowledge about ICEs, @Yavianiceis the man to ask. He's who I address my ICE questions to. 

I'm also not a detail oriented modeler. The prototypes interest me but I enjoy concepts and design more than detail. I don't remember the details in any case. I also never compare my models to the prototypes, looking for differences. I do want my models to look detailed and as convincingly "real" as possible, but only as a convincing illusion, rather than an exact replica. 

So it wouldn't bother me to have a train with numbers that make no sense. I'd like to have a representative ICE collection. ICE 1, 2, 3, and 4. But I don't need to have one of every variation that ever ran. I'll simply pick my favorite from each general style. I've decided not to buy an ICE 3 based on Ya's advice as he says it's a disappointing model in terms of performance. 

What I'm going to do instead is buy the upcoming Fleischmann ökostrom ICE-T as a representative of the Velaro "ICE 3" look. That also means that I don't need these Kato ökostrom ICE4 variations, so I won't be buying them. By "need" I mean that I think the slight variation in livery in my lineup is something I like the look of. Same same but different. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1
Yavianice

@GCSif you want to have the green ribbon cabin cars so badly, but not buy a whole new set, you can always just buy assy parts and interchange them.

• Like 2
Yavianice

@GCS these are the item numbers of the bodies for the cabin cars of the ICE with green stripe.

- 74181-2A

- 74186-2A

both will retail for 3100 yen before tax.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

@GCS these are the item numbers of the bodies for the cabin cars of the ICE with green stripe.

- 74181-2A

- 74186-2A

Thanks man, I’ll have to drop Masaharu an email then! 🤫

Guy

57 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

- 74181-2A

- 74186-2A

I’ve just been looking at the ICE 4 online and am I right in saying the only unique part from the new ICE 4 is the two ends? Do the 10 cars in the middle have any unique printing/numbers. Just want to make sure...

Guy

Yavianice

numbers yes, printing no. In reality there is no difference in liveries apart from cabin cars. But don’t feel bad; formations are not rigid in real life either and tend to change over time (e.g. due to accidents, replacements, maintenance, etc.)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

numbers yes, printing no. In reality there is no difference in liveries apart from cabin cars. But don’t feel bad; formations are not rigid in real life either and tend to change over time (e.g. due to accidents, replacements, maintenance, etc.)

Perfect, thank you! 🙂

Guy

roadstar_na6
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

formations are not rigid in real life either and tend to change over time (e.g. due to accidents, replacements, maintenance, etc.)

And because that happens quite a lot at DB it's probably also the reason why ICE's don't have Jacobs bogies 😄

• Like 1
jappomania
On 4/30/2021 at 12:28 PM, Yavianice said:

I hope the 7 car ICE-4 formation is just a mock-up on the poster. If they can be connected to another ICE-4 I would be quite interested. Unfortunately that would require a new mold and new undercar so, probably not gonna happen.

it's just a re-release of the original set 10-1512+10-1513, but only the base set is scheduled and not the add-on, or maybe they think that the new add-on B at 99% can do the same (3+4+6+7+11, but different cars number/formation, it's not a question of counting the rivets, if the price is the same I prefer the correct model and not the almost one)

I don't think my ICE roster will change...... (I bought more AVE than ICE..)

• Like 1
disturbman
On 5/8/2021 at 1:02 PM, Kamome said:

Do we think this months Class 800 release will have cracks in the suspension like the prototype?

High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in trains https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247

2 hours ago, railsquid said:

The sets will apparently now include a small hammer so you can optionally modify the models to the current condition of the prototype: High-speed rail services cancelled after cracks found in trains 😉

You are three days too late.

Edited by disturbman
maths