Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I’ve always liked the Microace idea of a small front view of the train on the spine of the case. The special addition trains with the heavier weight card sleeves look very nice too, Mizukaze, Nanatsuboshi etc..

It would be nice for Kato to do some more interesting card sleeves even if the internal case is the usual green. The artwork on the Tomix JNR expresses was particularly appealing.

• Like 4

I remember kato in the very early days included stickers to add a front view to the case should you desire.  I agree the Tomix HG box art is very nice, but I find their boxes more troublesome to open and close.  I kinda like how clean both kato and tomix boxes look on a shelf, my american stuff by comparison is very hard to search and inconvenient to store.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I agree the Tomix HG box art is very nice, but I find their boxes more troublesome to open and close.

Yup, the Tomix (and MicroAce) plastic tabs which hold the case close can be fiddly and sometimes degrade with time. The Kato/Casco-style stud is much more durable.

What I'd like to have as a standard case style is:

- Kato/Casco style stud button fastener

- Tomix/Casco style outer plastic pocket for inserting product label

- MicroAce-style model identifier picture

- Casco-style outer plastic sleeve

Also I really wish Tomix would use Kato-sized cases for their individual stock.

13 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I kinda like how clean both kato and tomix boxes look on a shelf, my american stuff by comparison is very hard to search and inconvenient to store.

I'm gradually transferring my British outline locos to Kato boxes, which are much more compact and make it easier to get the loco out and put it back. Coaches get stored in Japanese bookcases.

• Like 4

I've no idea why it's still possible to reserve the Saphir on Hobbysearch. I should have been completely safe by now. It's an outrage! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to make the most of it and enjoy my new toy in it's fancy blue box. 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
5 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Huh!  Seems kato has skipped august and just gone straight to sep/oct releases!  

Maybe it's just a one off release poster for the E257-2000 series... there were news of this guy's release for quite some time (same time as the Saphir Odoriko) and was actually slated for Spring 2021... Sept aint spring ~  😛

I expect there should be more release posters for other models in August... I just hope maybe they pick up the 215s! (wishful thinking though) 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

I just hope maybe they pick up the 215s! (wishful thinking though) 

We can only hope!

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Sept aint spring ~

Unless you live in the southern hemisphere. 

The new livery looks very nice. I have the Azusa/Kaiji and Boso Express so by default, i must have this!

• Like 1
roadstar_na6
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Huh!  Seems kato has skipped august and just gone straight to sep/oct releases!  

There was a second tweet right after it saying the regular announcement poster will be posted next week.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, EdF said:

2 shipping costs probably.

Most shops allows you to combine shipments if items you reserved are released in the same month. Except if you order from different shops or forgot to select the possibility to combine shipments when ordering, that shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Most shops allows you to combine shipments if items you reserved are released in the same month. Except if you order from different shops or forgot to select the possibility to combine shipments when ordering, that shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, hence why 2 different release months is an issue.

roadstar_na6

Considering Tokonami-San held onto something for like 3 months before shipping it to me you should be fine 😄

Not sure if this is a good news or bad news, it seems the E261 Saphir Odoriko comes with pre-installed interior lighting boards and is only compatible with the original Kato lights.... hhhhmmm.... A bonus? Or a marketing gimmick against 3rd party lights like TORM or Popondetta?