Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, Kato has announced a few weeks ago that there will be delays in production due to scarcity of raw materials (which come from China or other countries outside Japan).

Today KATO has published the revised upcoming release schedule, you can find it here (use google translate)

https://www.katomodels.com/schedule

• Thanks 1
On 4/3/2020 at 8:15 AM, Yavianice said:

Of note, the 700 series will include stickers for "Ambitious Japan" and the "Arigatou 700" marks, and will be of higher detail than the previous release with roof decorations.

I just put a pre-order for this and the Tomix 700 "Arigatou" , I'm happy to finally see the improved decoration (printed roof, side cars numbers and small 700 logo, correct?) , but I still hate the old Kato stickers (too thick, dry decals would be better, not better like water decals but much simple to apply)
I don't know why the "Ambitious Japan" printed version has been never re-released and available only with old 10-001 basic set, but applying "Ambitious" stickers is like the lesson "how to ruin a train model", I'm curious to see if something has changed...

(and maybe I try "cut & paste" to demote the old one to C0)

ciao

Massimo

• Like 1

Kato has launched a new website about Unitrack, with much information about which track is available, some more layout plans etc.

Available in Japanese, English, German (which seems funny because kato-unitrack.de is also a thing, though it's hosted by Noch. I guess it's another sign of KATO wanting to be more independent in the european market).

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Where are the track plans hiding? I found the chart of how to build various junctions and change track spacing (very useful and I don't think I've seen one that comprehensive for Unitrack before) but can't see any layout plans.

Yep, I knew about those but thought there were some new ones on the new site.

I didn't realise tatami came in standard sizes, that explains the rectangles in the plans!

Oh ok. It was featured in the announcements of the new website, didn’t know it was an old one, as I did not know about it.

It was only on the Japanese version of their site for some reason, I had it memorised by which menu and how far down to click. While the text is Japanese track plans and part numbers are universal, so adding the link to all languages would have been fine.

The ones for the CV series packs are particularly neat, although their idea of using 124mm straights and the 90 degree crossing with R150 curves doesn't really work. Substitute a pair of S64s for each S124 and everything lines up better. I've also adapted one of the ones for double viaduct track to produce a narrower layout which left more floor space to walk around it, by tucking it in closer to a connecting door frame.

JR 500系

Original poster here: https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202004301737555eaa8e633db18/2020-9.pdf 

I am actually VERY excited on the 701 series! Good to see them make the one in Morioka colour! That Hiroshima tram is mighty interesting too ~~ 

And I just realised there are so many variants of the 701 series.....   😬

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202004301741045eaa8f201b42c/2020-10a.pdf

And the New York Central E7A set for the worldwide collectors ~

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The long awaited small rural station is here! 

Interesting that they’ve added a lighting kit for the main building too. I do like the option of platform level or low level base.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
brill27mcb

I see in my Hobby Search email that Kato will be updating its 2-axle tram chassis (with a Hanover style tram re-offering) to the new design with the coreless motor and chain of gears between axles.

Rich K.

marknewton

I have a couple of their Hannover/Hiroshima trams in HO. One is rather noisy but runs well, the others are very quiet and smooth.

Mark.

The old kato rural station also had that option, although you had to decide while building it.  Having the new station RTR and at a similar price is going to be much appreciated. 

Nothing for me this time, as I've already got a set of suha 43 coaches thanks to yahoo auctions.  Sadly the 8000 boxcars are still using the older oversized moldings it looks like. 

It feels like just recently when kato reached the 10-1000s product numbers, and here were are over halfway to the 10-2000s.