Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

15 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Argh. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10559058

They’re selling it as a limited edition pair. This is a shame. There aren’t many engines I really like, and this one really calls to me. But there’s no way I can add two freight locomotives on my layout. 

You can ever have too many locomotives.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, chadbag said:

You can ever have too many locomotives.

My wife begs to differ.

So now I just don't tell her when I buy them.

Win...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They appear to be in separate kato jewel cases inside the box, so you could possibly get the pack and then sell off the second locomotive.  I'm sure someone else out there feels similar.

• Like 2

I have two locomotives now, and a two-berth engine shed in the mail, and an EMU also in the mail. Now I can park the entire Ban’etsu Monogatari on my scenic siding designed for the purpose, but that only leaves one berth in the shed for another freight locomotive. That’d put me at four trains (when my original plan was two) which I’m okay with because I always wanted a Koki container train but there’s really no way to go to five. I just don’t have the space for it

Edited by Sheffie
9 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

That’d put me at four trains (when my original plan was two) which I’m okay with because I always wanted a Koki container train but there’s really no way to go to five. I just don’t have the space for it

Never ever have I heard such disappointing words from a fellow model railroader.

I pretty sure you will be ex communicated on JNS.

😅

• Haha 5

Staying limited to what you can fit of your layout is a noble goal!  Most of us (myself included) have moved past that long before even starting a layout. 😁

20180429_181714_1525051139543.thumb.jpg.03bf704c05d1acb430daddcad7327ecd.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
50 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I have two locomotives now, and a two-berth engine shed in the mail, and an EMU also in the mail. Now I can park the entire Ban’etsu Monogatari on my scenic siding designed for the purpose, but that only leaves one berth in the shed for another freight locomotive. That’d put me at four trains (when my original plan was two) which I’m okay with because I always wanted a Koki container train but there’s really no way to go to five. I just don’t have the space for it

That is what shelving is for.  Trains that don't fit on the layout fit on the shelves.   Eventually, they fit on the layout while other trains fit on the shelves.

Today I feel like driving freight trains, so I get out my locomotives, KoKis, etc.  Tomorrow I want to drive Shinkansen.  They swap.   The next day I am doing Osaka commuter rail.  The next day Era IV German DB.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

My wife begs to differ.

So now I just don't tell her when I buy them.

Win...

And when she finds out about one a few weeks later, you can truthfully say that you've "had that one for a while."

• Like 1

I’m already two orders “ahead” of the deliveries my wife is expecting. Honestly I think this one might have to wait. It looks like Hobby Search is sold out already, so this discussion may be academic. 

I remember a younger, sleeker and handsomer railsquid who declared, about 4.5 years ago, that he would never buy more stock than could be stored on the layout.

How young (well less old) and naive I was.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Having trouble getting in and out of the hobby room these days squid? Can’t lift your feet higher than the stacks of trains to get around in there? 

Jeff

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I’m already two orders “ahead” of the deliveries my wife is expecting. Honestly I think this one might have to wait. It looks like Hobby Search is sold out already, so this discussion may be academic. 

One important trick to getting these things is to use the Notify when Available feature. Many times items sell out right after release, then there is another shipment a 7-10 days later.

With the Notify when Available it just notifies you it is there in stock. You do not have to buy unless you want to.  

Resistance is futile. We all learned that. Once you have gone this far (on JNS) you are hooked.   :grin   :grin  

• Like 1

New announcements from KATO for July:

Re-release:

- 10-1123 E655 imperial train, 17600 yen (probably because of the emperor abdication)

- 4935-1 imperial car for 10-1123, 4000 yen

- 3036-1 EF200 JRF livery, 6700 yen

- 3036-2 EF200 "Hi Tech Loco" livery, 6900 yen

- 10-1421 KoKi 104 2 car set, 1800 yen

- 10-039/10-038/10-037/10-036/10-035 Kokuden rerelease, 4500 yen each

New release:

-  Shikoku 2000 series in 3+4 and 7 part set series, 10-1503 4 part series (16400 yen), 10-1504 3 part series (14700 yen), 10-1505 7 part set (25800 yen)

Fun stuff: they display a 3 part set for 10-1503 even though it should have been a 4 part set?

Also what's the difference between the 7 part and 3-4 part set besides the train name and the front "logo" display? some kind of limited edition or livery change?

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 2

Wow this is the third run of E655 Nagomi and Imperial Car. I already have this so really nothing exciting for me for July as JR Shikoku is not a massive interest, but a nice offering all the same. The added parts you get with the imperial coach do add a lot to the standard E655 model. A little nerve racking drilling through that metallic paintwork though.

I’m hoping this means there’ll be some more interesting announcements for the latter part of the year. 

What I find odd is for barely the price of the very basic kokuden 3 car set you could pick up the 10 car full 103 series train on YA.  Doesnt really seem like it will be a huge seller at that price, but still should be a good train for the kiddies to learn on.

39 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

What I find odd is for barely the price of the very basic kokuden 3 car set you could pick up the 10 car full 103 series train on YA.  Doesnt really seem like it will be a huge seller at that price, but still should be a good train for the kiddies to learn on.

Ah, but you see, if you are a total n00b and wander into a shop looking for a train to see what this whole thing N gauge thing is about, at that point you won't be aware of the possibilities of Yahoo Auctions etc. and will be happy to find something cheap (probably closer to 3,000 yen by the time discounts are applied) and cheerful you can write off if it doesn't work out.

From such sets addictions are born.

(And yes I do have a full 10 car set off Yahoo Auctions :P )

29279016978_3585bc62d0.jpg

kato-kokuden-103-orange_02 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Koki 104 by the poor google translation have had the paint colour reviewed and now a darker blue is being used.

edit/ Nevermind. Just relized it is a re-release. Not new.

Edited by katoftw

Hmm. I see the Koki 104 is slightly cheaper than the Koki 107 on hobby search. I know the blue isn’t the right shade, but I’d rather have blue with grey bogeys than all grey. 

DanielMackay
18 hours ago, Kamome said:

Wow this is the third run of E655 Nagomi and Imperial Car. I already have this so really nothing exciting for me for July as JR Shikoku is not a massive interest, but a nice offering all the same. The added parts you get with the imperial coach do add a lot to the standard E655 model. A little nerve racking drilling through that metallic paintwork though.

I’m hoping this means there’ll be some more interesting announcements for the latter part of the year. 

Just ordered this beauty and the Imperial car. Love at first sight: http://www.katomodels.com/product/n/e655kei

Edited by DanielMackay
Added link.