Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I wasn’t aware it had a motor in the 3 car, and only one end has directional lighting from what I’ve seen. This is the same setup as the Kato E351 and 651 where the short unit is usually non- powered. You could purchase another motor unit, and light unit to make the separate part independently runable.

B8765A8B-0C93-43BA-89B2-48C160A8740A.jpeg

Edited by Kamome

Sorry I hadn’t seen the pack with all the extra bits bundled together, I thought you were referring to the 3 car set. An extra ¥4000 is reasonable as the motor units usually cost that alone but still adds to the increasing costs overall.

Edited by Kamome

Motorised 4 car basic set: ¥14200

3 car unpowered addon set plus motor and lighting pack: ¥15000

Maybe worth it if you are buying the whole 12 car train

1 hour ago, Space Beaver said:

Motorised 4 car basic set: ¥14200

3 car unpowered addon set plus motor and lighting pack: ¥15000

Maybe worth it if you are buying the whole 12 car train

I assume they’ve factored in the foam bookcase compared to the cardboard “disposable” packaging that the BEST range basic sets come in.

11 hours ago, Kamome said:

Yes a 4 car basic set, 5 car added coach set and a 3 car set. It does look nice and there must have been a fair amount of additional tooling needed. Roof mounted air con units are not the usual generic shape, for example.

Had it not been HO Kiha month, I’d have probably ordered one of these. I have the E257 and E351 so this would make a nice addition.

image from Kato release notes.

28E9AC31-AFD7-4855-B591-DB0E98E27406.jpeg

Is there a reason behind why they release sets like that? 

Would make more sense to release two 6 car sets and have less packaging, material and maybe even cheaper that way... 

Standard Kato box holds about 6 cars anyway... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

19 minutes ago, nscaler711 said:

Is there a reason behind why they release sets like that? 

Would make more sense to release two 6 car sets and have less packaging, material and maybe even cheaper that way... 

Standard Kato box holds about 6 cars anyway... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's because it's being marketed as a 4-car "starter pack" aimed at the mass market.

I think I'll buy the 4 car pack and wait for individual cars (and hopefully a case) to pop up in the junk corners of Akihabara, as I only need 6 total anyway. It'll take a year or two (I've only just been starting to find "junk" E235 cars) but I'm not in a hurry ;).

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

It's because it's being marketed as a 4-car "starter pack" aimed at the mass market.

I think I'll buy the 4 car pack and wait for individual cars (and hopefully a case) to pop up in the junk corners of Akihabara, as I only need 6 total anyway. It'll take a year or two (I've only just been starting to find "junk" E235 cars) but I'm not in a hurry ;).

Yap, it coincides with the 4-car starter packs that Kato has always been producing... Perhaps even in a 4-car plastic box like before? but that would mean the 5-car add-on set will need to be in a bookcase capable of holding 9 cars in total to accommodate the 4-car basic set...

That's just unfair... I wish I have a Akihabara here too...   😞

5 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Yap, it coincides with the 4-car starter packs that Kato has always been producing... Perhaps even in a 4-car plastic box like before? but that would mean the 5-car add-on set will need to be in a bookcase capable of holding 9 cars in total to accommodate the 4-car basic set...

9 cars is certainly doable in a single book case (though then you'd have a very sparse 2nd case with the 3-car add-on set). Anyway, #firstworldproblems 😉

That's just unfair... I wish I have a Akihabara here too...  

At least you have the internet, imagine what it would have been like 25+ years ago obtaining stuff!

• Like 1
scotspensioner
20 hours ago, railsquid said:

9 cars is certainly doable in a single book case (though then you'd have a very sparse 2nd case with the 3-car add-on set). Anyway, #firstworldproblems 😉

At least you have the internet, imagine what it would have been like 25+ years ago obtaining stuff!

I would never have had my collection if I hadn't had the internet .Before that I knew nothing.!!

• Like 1

Well, it's made by Kato even if it's sold by Noch. New liveries for the RhB Ge 4/4 II:

https://www.noch.de/de/katalog/2019/neuheiten-2/42/index.html

Prices for their Ge 4/4 IIIs were roughly twice that of the Kato branded versions, so expect these to follow suit. The collage at the bottom is interesting though - a hint of what Kato might offer next in this range? I see earlier versions of the Glacier Express panoramic coaches and two or three items of freight stock, the latter would be extremely popular IMO.

Das Steinkopf
9 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Well, it's made by Kato even if it's sold by Noch. New liveries for the RhB Ge 4/4 II:

https://www.noch.de/de/katalog/2019/neuheiten-2/42/index.html

Prices for their Ge 4/4 IIIs were roughly twice that of the Kato branded versions, so expect these to follow suit. The collage at the bottom is interesting though - a hint of what Kato might offer next in this range? I see earlier versions of the Glacier Express panoramic coaches and two or three items of freight stock, the latter would be extremely popular IMO.

I have always been a sucker for the RhB and would have modelled it if not for the exhorbitant prices of Bemo models, I will admit though the level of detail on their models is superb, if Kato does bring out freight stock to run with their other models I could be well and truly enticed to model it.

I'm just hoping Kato don't agree to any exclusive contracts with Noch over tooling. It would be very annoying if they were to bring those four wheelers with the refrigerated containers out but only as a Noch model costing staggering sums, for example .

Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, Welshbloke said:

I'm just hoping Kato don't agree to any exclusive contracts with Noch over tooling. It would be very annoying if they were to bring those four wheelers with the refrigerated containers out but only as a Noch model costing staggering sums, for example .

If that were the case I wouldn't bother buying RhB stock until I won the lottery so I could afford to get proper narrow gauge models by Bemo and Ferro Suisse.

Das Steinkopf
40 minutes ago, Waisneed said:

Hmmm, why does it say "with permission from Bemo Modeltrains" at the bottom?

Doesn't the wording imply what's in the planning and is more about speculation if anything else, I think they might have used pictures of the Bemo models as a reference to the prototypes, also I noticed some MOB trains in there which is something that Kato has never done, that said the MOB Ge 4/4 is the same class of locomotive as the Ge 4/4 III of the RhB albeit running on 900v DC instead of 11kv AC.

It says "photos with permission from Bemo Modeltrains", which IMO referres to the collage at the bottom of the page. This uses many pictures of models that, to my best knowledge, aren't (yet) produced by Kato (the Ge 6/6, for instance). These are probably Bemo ones.

4 hours ago, MichiK said:

It says "photos with permission from Bemo Modeltrains", which IMO referres to the collage at the bottom of the page. This uses many pictures of models that, to my best knowledge, aren't (yet) produced by Kato (the Ge 6/6, for instance). These are probably Bemo ones.

^Yes, those are pictures of Bemo models

I guess Bemo didn't have any problem with those pictures being used, as there's no competition here since N gauge isn't their market. Also yay, free advertising!

1 hour ago, katoftw said:

New pics of the JRK DE10s.

That's a distinguished looking engine. I imagine the driver being a rather grizzled fellow with salt and pepper moustache