Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

44 minutes ago, Fenway Park said:

According to Hobby Search the D51 has a new power unit for better slow running. The previous D51 models were good.

8 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, I wonder what improvements could have been made as compared to the existing part 2016 model series.  The one I have runs flawlessly as is.

It references the previous 498 which I'm assuming is the 2016-7 D51-498 model.  First Kato D51 with spoked leading and bogie wheels.  So the 2016-8 D51-200 should have the new motor also.

I have the previous/older D51-498 and the newer D51-200.  I might open them up and see what the motor unit differences are.  I'll take photos if I see something of interest.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Nice that KATO is following TOMIX in getting the accurate color between the cars (E6 shinkansen). Still prefer the TOMIX version because it has the Tohoku Treasureland logo.

I like the Tomix one more too, but unfortunately I didn't have the later version with the Tohoku Treasureland logo... The power couplers are great though!  🙂

1 hour ago, Takahama Trainwatcher said:

Ah, oh dear. Another E233 release, subtly different from previous releases. This is not good news for E233 addicts.

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Was that e233 5000 in use on the Keiyo line in 2015?  If so I may have ridden one and might have to pick one up.  

Yap ~ The previous version released by Kato is a 6 + 4 formation, while this release is a full 10-car formation set... Tomix did the 10-car full formation set though... 

Finally redoing 10-1122  JR 321 add on set.  I'll be in Japan this summer ad will have to find it there.  I have the basic set and this is one we ride all the time when there so need the add-on 🙂

I did find a complete, older number but identical, complete set in green case, used, last year so the urgency has gone down a little on 10-1122

13 hours ago, VJM said:

Toyosawa-san goes through the differences between the old  2016-1 D51-498 and the new 2016-7 D51-498 here:

http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/m171008.htm

Metal spoke wheels, change to plastic handrails, and a groove cut out of one of the fly wheels is the only thing he can identify.

Thanks for the link.

Would've been good if that person took off the grey plastic motor clip to see if the motor were different.

On 2/1/2019 at 5:53 PM, Yavianice said:

Nice that KATO is following TOMIX in getting the accurate color between the cars (E6 shinkansen).

Forgive my ignorance. Can you explain more what Kato are changing? I understand there’s a window configuration change for new luggage areas but what’s the issue with the colour?

1 hour ago, Kamome said:

Forgive my ignorance. Can you explain more what Kato are changing? I understand there’s a window configuration change for new luggage areas but what’s the issue with the colour?

The E6 has black gangways. But so far all models did not feature this (tomix and kato). Kato and tomix will now simultaneously release new versions which have black gangways. (Though the tomix Version also has the tohoku treasureland Sticker).

im not sure if this was also the case with the original e6 version on delivery, but this always irritated me with the n scale model.

The photo has been taken from below the train. Which makes the preception of the closest part of the train (front) look larger than it is. Would be good to see other photos.

Indeed. Looks OK to me, and it passd the Squidlet test. Mind you so does the Plarail version, so that might not be saying much 😉

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Picture of the prototype for the kato e353.  Can't say it really captures the sleek feel full size train, so I'll be waiting to see a more finished version before ordering one.

I also think this is a case of a bad photo, rather than a bad model. They should hire JR500 do take their photos. His shoots always look catalog quality.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, chadbag said:

This is released as of Feb 7 and LHS in Japan are posting pics of it on Twitter.  So I would expect your pre-orders to start shipping soon...

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 10:09 PM, gavino200 said:

I also think this is a case of a bad photo, rather than a bad model. They should hire JR500 do take their photos. His shoots always look catalog quality.

Haha thanks i'm really flattered! 🙂

That Y500 video makes me a little regretful for cancelling that pre-order... though the money saved for another train makes me a tad happier ~

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nscaler711 said:

I'm honestly excited for the E353, that thing is angry looking, but also super modern. 

Just hope to get one before the disappear lol. 

If you pre-order one you should be safe. 

I believe I saw something suggesting the E353 was going to become one of the Kato BEST range which should mean the base set, at least, will have good availability. 

I’ve certainly noticed these sets slowly creeping up in price in recent years. Around ¥40,000 for the full 12 car set if you pay RRP or SRP depending on what you call it. Most of the usual discounters have the whole thing for just over ¥30000. Only a few years ago, that would’ve got you a 16 car shinkansen. 

59 minutes ago, Kamome said:

I believe I saw something suggesting the E353 was going to become one of the Kato BEST range which should mean the base set, at least, will have good availability. 

I’ve certainly noticed these sets slowly creeping up in price in recent years. Around ¥40,000 for the full 12 car set if you pay RRP or SRP depending on what you call it. Most of the usual discounters have the whole thing for just over ¥30000. Only a few years ago, that would’ve got you a 16 car shinkansen. 

Yap I agree too, which seems to be credited from inflation... We are also seeing a lot of price increases from the Tomytec series (Tetsudo/ trucks/ buses) or regular Tomix trains even... And let's not go into MA or GM which already has a high price point and now it just seems even higher, like to the point whereby 12k can only get you a 2-car train with motor and 10k for one without...  😞

I have to remember to turn the comma into a decimal and move it -> one number to do a basic ¥ to $ conversion... So it may cost around $400.00... RiP me then. 

I also didn't know it was a 12 car train... probably why it's so expensive I guess... 

I guess it's not much different for NA modelers modeling long distance Amtrak trains, 

$80 per loco, Amtrak generally runs two P42s. Need minimum of two of the A&B sets Superliners also around $80 each.  

Baggage car and the transition sleeper are closer to $30 each.

So $380 for something close to the Empire Builder. Well minus a coach and sleeper anyway... 

1 hour ago, nscaler711 said:

I also didn't know it was a 12 car train... probably why it's so expensive I guess... 

Yes a 4 car basic set, 5 car added coach set and a 3 car set. It does look nice and there must have been a fair amount of additional tooling needed. Roof mounted air con units are not the usual generic shape, for example.

Had it not been HO Kiha month, I’d have probably ordered one of these. I have the E257 and E351 so this would make a nice addition.

image from Kato release notes.

28E9AC31-AFD7-4855-B591-DB0E98E27406.jpeg

Edited by Kamome