Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Kato 2019 Catalog "Planned Products".

I can only comment on entries that have been labeled as such in English. 

There are also entries labeled as "New Products". These are 2019 products that have already been announced for pre-order. 

I'll only list those if I can't find a release announcement.

Planned products

N scale

As above page61 787 - no mention of how many cars in the set. The picture is a prototype picture with at least 6 units including the cab. It's not possible to see whether the last visible car is a second cab.

Page 72 a three car tram. Number 1000and four Kanji characters. White with a green stripe at the base. Has the words "Greenmover LEX" on the side. Prototype photo. Definitely Japan.

Page 85 EF65 1000. The picture shows the loco with nine beautiful blue coaches.

Page 96 The blue carriages that go with the EF65 above. The number 12 is part of the title. 

Page 114 Full page special discussing the Twolight Express. Prototype photo, and two interior photos.

Page 170 "Mini column" features a white train with a blue stripe. Number 415. The shikishima first appeared in the "Mini column" two years ago,

HO scale

Page 202 This is the "left page" next to a "right page" that is the start of the HO section. I

Second "mini column" features a C57, a steam train that I can't identify. a 789 1000, and a commuter train - silver with orange and blue band. Number 2000 in the title.

Page 210 planned product  HO - EF81

• Thanks 1

Thanks gavin!  Looking forward to the  Twilight Express if it does materialize,  guess I better start saving up now!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Interesting, looks like the C50 chassis is very similar to the 8620 chassis so I wonder if kato saw an opportunity to reuse parts from their recent c50 release.

C50s were a development of the 8620 class, the main difference being bar frames instead of plate frames, and overhung springs on the coupled wheels. Leading truck and coupled wheels were the same diameter, and the wheelbase dimensions were identical. So in model form the mechanisms should be interchangeable.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Is the white train with blue stripe a revisiting of the 415 Series maybe? Looks like a 115 Series but with more rooftop plumbing as it's dual voltage.

18 hours ago, katoftw said:

I'm hoping the C57 is the C57-1.  The Yamaguchi set came with 2 slots for 2 engines.  D51-200 has already been done.

That's exactly what it is. C571 on the front number plate as well as a yellow badge with a small blue figure of some sore. This is in the "mini column" though. Not a "planned product". So it's significance is uncertain.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Is the white train with blue stripe a revisiting of the 415 Series maybe? Looks like a 115 Series but with more rooftop plumbing as it's dual voltage.

Yes. That's it. But again it's featured in a "mini colum" rather than as a "planned product" so it's significance is uncertain.

Given Kato retooled assorted 115 Series variants over the past few years, what's the betting that a 415 would be next on the list? Depending on the tooling design it might be a case of a few extra moulds rather than a complete set of new tools. Their previous 415-100 used the old tooling without body mount couplers or gangway bellows, so it's probably due an update.

Given they also now have the tools from the KuMoYuNi 147, I would wonder if the similar Minobu Line red units and matching 115-2000 Series might also be in the offing at some point.

12 hours ago, gavino200 said:

That's exactly what it is. C571 on the front number plate as well as a yellow badge with a small blue figure of some sort.

That's the SL Yamaguchi headmark.

• Like 1

I've no idea if there is any significance at all to this, but I just noticed that the C-571 Yamaguchi is also shown in the picture on the back cover of the '19 Catalog.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 12:54 PM, Kiha66 said:

Thanks gavin!  Looking forward to the  Twilight Express if it does materialize,  guess I better start saving up now!

I think you meant the Twilight Mizukaze, Sam~  The Twilight Express has just been re-released last month (which is really bad news for my wallet... 😞

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10585772

A really interesting 'display' type transparent rail from Kato! I would need a ton of these for my display cabinet... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like the catalog cover was showing planned releases after all.  Sunrise Express announced, with new molding this time too!

Edited by Kiha66
  • Thanks 1
On 1/10/2019 at 12:29 PM, JR 500系 said:

I think you meant the Twilight Mizukaze, Sam~  The Twilight Express has just been re-released last month (which is really bad news for my wallet... 😞

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10585772

A really interesting 'display' type transparent rail from Kato! I would need a ton of these for my display cabinet... 

I wondered if they'd release those after seeing them in MTP's blog images of Kato dealer meetings. Marklin did the same in HO a few years ago, along with end caps to cover the track joiners. If I wasn't concentrating on getting my N fleet into book cases I'd be after a couple of packs.

Does anyone understand the difference between the two Kato Sunrise Express sets 10-1564 and 10-1565?

Are they two, otherwise identical trains with different numbers, so you can make the full double train consist that is in service. Are there qualitative differences/ design differences between the two sets?

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/pre-order/products/pre-order-kato-10-1564-series-285-0-sunrise-express-additional-pantograph-7-car-set

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/pre-order/products/pre-order-kato-10-1565-series-285-3000-sunrise-express-additional-pantograph-7-car-set

On 1/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Kiha66 said:

Looks like the catalog cover was showing planned releases after all.  Sunrise Express announced, with new molding this time too!

I hope so. I think it's quite possible. Going through the old posters it looks like may of these models are due a release.

Nagomi last release April 2016

Sunrise 2019 realease - previous release July 2016

Kiha 85 - April 2019 release - previous release April 2017

Series 683 "Thunderbird" - last release Jan 2017 (or is it the series 289 - last release Aug 2016)

Series 787 - listed as "planned product" in the 2019 catalog - last release  April 2017

Kiha 283 Super Ozora - There was a Micro Ace release in  February 2018. Last Kato release 2004.

Edited to include the April 2017 release of the 787

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 1