Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Interesting and attractive M250! But I will NOT go into freight... no no no...

Embrace the joy of getting excited whenever Hogarakadou releases a new type of container and you have more Kokis than you know what to do with!

• Like 2

The only thing as expensive (density and weight wise) as a little plastic box with 50 tomytec cars is a little box with 50 or so hogarakadou containers! I misplaced 6 little boxes of vehicles and containers I take to shows for the layout last year and in my panic realized it would probably be up to $1000 to try to replace them... luckily found them!

I try not to look at hogarakadou containers anymore... even on sale they seem expensive now, but at times can't resist something new for the stacks.

Cheers

Jeff

I try to avoid them too but they do put a lot of containers that I'd have to otherwise paint and decal myself and the cost far outweighs the time it would take for me to do that. 

The JR East 12 series cars are a no-brainer and I've wanted a new D51 for a while so I'll probably get 498. Leaning toward getting the Iida cargo set and add on Hokis with the ED-62 even though it's JR Central and I really don't focus on that region but one of the numbers for the ED-62 is for a JR East unit. Also with freight cars I find it's pretty easy to ignore regions as unless you look really close you can't tell they're out of area.

yes its very time consuming to do the containers. found that out after making about 100 JRM containers!

I still have about 25 sets of green max liquid and gas containers to paint and decal. i got them dirt cheap when hs, hw, and hlj had them on fire sale! those are super fiddly to deal with...

jeff

The M250 is back! Dang!

Sadly it's not just a re-release. This is a version with new containers and the new headmark, which is just a sticker now, not a plate anymore.

I wish it was a re-release. Oh well, can't have everything, I guess...

• Like 2
Das Steinkopf

Wow, looks like more curved bridges (with outside walkways this time), the round bridge pier height extenders that people have been asking for, and lit bumpers too.  Looks like they're coming out in august? 

http://www.jp-ngauge.info/ngi/2017/05/kato562017-bc51.html

Looks like they must have been reading the forum and saw how Charles was bitching about the height of the pillars in the original set, I will definitely be getting my hands on those extenstion pieces as I lashed out pretty hard on straight sections and extra pillars and catenary masts to use on a model of the Misakubo No 7 bridge.

Das Steinkopf

Interesting and attractive M250! But I will NOT go into freight... no no no...

Oh come on Sammy you know you want too, don't worry it only starts off with getting a couple of Koki's and a locomotive and then the rot really sets in and you find yourself with several dozen Koki's, scores of containers and lets not mention Taki's and whatever other wagons you may want to buy as well as locomotives to haul them.

Embrace the joy of getting excited whenever Hogarakadou releases a new type of container and you have more Kokis than you know what to do with!

I too have an addiction to Hogarakadou containers as well as those made by Platz, Poppondetta and Tomix, I keep it under control to a certain extent by limiting myself to ones that are used around the JR Tokai area and the Chuo Mainline.

I too have an addiction to Hogarakadou containers as well as those made by Platz, Poppondetta and Tomix, I keep it under control to a certain extent by limiting myself to ones that are used around the JR Tokai area and the Chuo Mainline.

The older Platz containers are hit and miss though. I find I have to do some fine filing to get them to sit right on a Koki. Poppondetta are generally the best value for the money. I try to do the same with limiting myself to JR East and Hokkaido but that ends up being a lot of containers....

Edited by nah00

Hasn't 498 already been released?  Whats the difference with this new D51 model, as it seems it has a new product number. 

A bit of sleuthing revealed that the new version has spoked wheels for the front and trailing bogies.

They are available for purchase as parts also.  So guessing you can buy the updated parts and fit to an old version.

The Nagano D51 version you can see through the wheel spokes.  The old D51-498 you cannot, you can see the sspokes but it is a solid wheel.  I'm guessing that is the differences.

Since it will cost under 1100 yen to convert, I might get some.

D51-498 2016-1 old version:- http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10123766/20/1

Nagano version:- http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10394611/20/1

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

I do like that Iida line set. Perfect for smaller layouts, and gives me the excuse for another ED62!

• Like 1

Kato Kokis are out...and still wrong...no step at the railing end.

I never noticed this before, so of course I had the check the Koki 104s I bought over 5 years ago.....yep no steps.  I will just have to tell myself they are there. ;)

What a odd mistake given that the recently released Koki 50000 have steps.  It's almost like Kato couldn't decide if they were making a Koki 100/102 without the steps and end platform or a Koki with the end platform so went halfway between both. :/

Edited by keiichi77
Das Steinkopf

Kato Kokis are out...and still wrong...no step at the railing end.

You would think that they would have fixed it, I find it odd how they did such a great job with their Koki 106's and the new Koki 50000's are a great model as well. Out of the 50 odd Koki's I have in my fleet I only have 1 Koki 104 and it's Tomix, I did own the earlier Koki 104's made by Kato but I got rid of them due to the range inaccuracies they had.

I don't really understand it either, especially given the quality of their other two Koki releases. My only guess is that they decided to correct the main issue people had with them (the lighter blue) and correct that versus making a whole new mold. Funny thing is is that I swear I've seen light blue Kokis on YouTube in videos but it might just be really badly faded paint. 

Das Steinkopf

Oh wow just what I needed another 4 Koki 106's and 8 Koki 107's to add to my already bloated fleet of those types, on the upside the car numbers are all new and don't clash with any of the ones I currently have in my fleet, all of the Koki 107's are from earlier in the production run and will have the JRF logo on them. I am keen to see how the Kato Koki 107's compare to the Tomix version as Kato did a great job with their Koki 106's, pity I couldn't say the same for Kato's Koki 104's. It would have been nice if they had produced more of the earlier 100 Series Koki's in Blue livery but I suppose I can't complain, I will still get them though as just like any other Koki addict you can never have enough Koki's.

Also of note is that Kato is making 19D and UR19A containers in 5 packs, the 19D's that came with the Koki 106 2 car set 10-245 are a beautifully crafted model and feature a detailed underside which many of the other manufacturers neglect, I hope the new models retain this feature.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 1

I'm just a little tempted by that 185 series, but will need to see more pictures of it before deciding....

I am very tempted by the Koki 106/107 pack and of course the JOT UR19 containers.  I could finally retire my fleet of 10 Koki 106 all with the same number or spread them out so they are not as noticeable.  You can never have too many Koki, to bad the longest train I have seen was 26 cars long ;)

• Like 2

I find the pricing of the new kokis weird.  The 107 2 pack is 1800 yen or 900 each.  The 106+107 10 pack is 12000 yen or 1200 each.

The 12 car koki case is 3000 yen???

I find the pricing of the new kokis weird.  The 107 2 pack is 1800 yen or 900 each.  The 106+107 10 pack is 12000 yen or 1200 each.

The 12 car koki case is 3000 yen???

If google translate didn't let me down it seems like the 10 car set comes with an actual tail light equipped car instead of the usual reflectors. Also, sets featuring several cars with different numbers have always been a bit more expensive.