Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Densha,

I've done everything I can with my notebook too. My PC is fine so, in my case, I doubt it is the router.  That said, I have a brand new Netgear Prosafe Router/Switch/Wifi sitting in a box ready to instal on the weekend.  I actually need this because my new Samsung TVs need a faster connection than my exsting router.

Help me Obiwan-Kenobi!  You're my only hope!

Cheers

The_Ghan

This discussion probably belongs in off-topic, or at least Suppliers.

As for the problem: Just to confirm, you're using the English-language version of the stock-search page, and you entered the part number in the right-hand box labeled "Item Number Search" and clicked the button to the right, not left, of it? Correct?

And is the PC that works running the same version of IE and Windows as the problematic notebook? 

I suspect a local software issue (or something about the software that confuses their backend).  A consumer-grade firewall/filter isn't going to interfere with the parameters of a simple web POST form, which is what they use. You'd need some kind of intermediate proxy or application-layer gateway/firewall to do that.

Kato's stock search page is a really simple form.  There's a small bit of Javascript on the page (which runs in your browser), but it doesn't appear to affect how the form works.  And all the form does is pass the number given as a parameter to a cgi script along with a couple of hidden fields to indicate that it's a number-based search for an English-language page (the Japanese page is similar, but omits the language keyword).  The same script gets used for both searches and the category displays on both English and Japanese versions of the page, so it's going to have a fair bit of complexity and base its actions on what gets passed to it (both directly as parameters and indirectly as associated information like the kind of browser being used).

The real work is being done by the cgi script (which runs on their server).  Now CGI indicates that it's probably an old design script (or perhaps not and the designer just like the old ways).  And web designers have long had to create special cases to work around problems in IE, so it's possible that some aspect of your environment is new enough that the script is doing the wrong kind of compensation.  But it seems unlikely that such a mainstream combination wouldn't have been tested.

I'm more suspicious that you have some kind of auto-fill plugin that's putting the wrong info in the form when you submit it.  If you do anything that would autofill a parameter named "category" or "keyword" that might confuse the script.

Even if you don't want to use another browser regularly, temporarily installing one to see if the computer still has problems might be interesting.  It doesn't reallly isolate the problem, but if it goes away the cause is definitely either in your laptop or in Kato's server. 

I don't know enough about IE to figure out other ways to debug it, but I'd focus on IE and associated plugins or other software (one way or another) as the likely culprit.

This discussion probably belongs in off-topic, or at least Suppliers.

As for the problem: Just to confirm, you're using the English-language version of the stock-search page, and you entered the part number in the right-hand box labeled "Item Number Search" and clicked the button to the right, not left, of it? Correct?  Yes to all of the above.

And is the PC that works running the same version of IE and Windows as the problematic notebook?  Yes to IE.  No to Windows.  The PC is running XP and the notebook is running Vista.  I'm up to date with Vista updates and asking the question on MS forums didn't give me any decent reply.

I suspect a local software issue (or something about the software that confuses their backend).  A consumer-grade firewall/filter isn't going to interfere with the parameters of a simple web POST form, which is what they use. You'd need some kind of intermediate proxy or application-layer gateway/firewall to do that.  Both machines are behind the same router and firewall.  I'm thinking it has something to do with an IE add-on or browser helper or something like that.

Kato's stock search page is a really simple form.  There's a small bit of Javascript on the page (which runs in your browser), but it doesn't appear to affect how the form works.  And all the form does is pass the number given as a parameter to a cgi script along with a couple of hidden fields to indicate that it's a number-based search for an English-language page (the Japanese page is similar, but omits the language keyword).  The same script gets used for both searches and the category displays on both English and Japanese versions of the page, so it's going to have a fair bit of complexity and base its actions on what gets passed to it (both directly as parameters and indirectly as associated information like the kind of browser being used).

The real work is being done by the cgi script (which runs on their server).  Now CGI indicates that it's probably an old design script (or perhaps not and the designer just like the old ways).  And web designers have long had to create special cases to work around problems in IE, so it's possible that some aspect of your environment is new enough that the script is doing the wrong kind of compensation.  But it seems unlikely that such a mainstream combination wouldn't have been tested.

I'm more suspicious that you have some kind of auto-fill plugin that's putting the wrong info in the form when you submit it.  If you do anything that would autofill a parameter named "category" or "keyword" that might confuse the script.  The notebook is also used for work.  It has anti-virus and clean-up tools installed.  At any rate, I generally avoid allowing software to save passwords, etc. and wouldn't knowingly use autofill features.

Even if you don't want to use another browser regularly, temporarily installing one to see if the computer still has problems might be interesting.  It doesn't reallly isolate the problem, but if it goes away the cause is definitely either in your laptop or in Kato's server.  Agreed.  I shall try when I get a chance. 

I don't know enough about IE to figure out other ways to debug it, but I'd focus on IE and associated plugins or other software (one way or another) as the likely culprit.

Thanks for the advice Ken.  I'll keep hunting this one down.

Cheers

The_Ghan

just on this try the compatability mode on off if not already i couldn't gather the effort to read that last long post if already mentioned  :grin

Anyway back on topic kind of E6 PLEASE KATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E6 would be nice, my E5 is getting lonely =)

Same here and then I can run a E2 Hayate with the E3 Komachi on one section and the E5 Hayabusa with the E6 on the other :) so it would get people going oh my two sets of shinkansens and when they ask about them we can say that they are the units of the North-East (JRE) until the E5 and E6  replaced the E2 and E3.

My E5 is also getting lonely. I would love to add an E6 to it, but till then, I may get another E5.

But then I'd have to get two E6s, wouldn't I?  :cheesy

I'm hoping the E6 will be like the E5, which was released by Kato about the time the prototype went into service, if I remember correctly.

Guest Closed Account 1

E6 will be in service next March.

Wiki has not changed:

Revenue service is scheduled to commence in March 2013, running at a maximum speed of 300 km/h (186 mph) on the Tōhoku Shinkansen.[2] From March 2014, the maximum speed will be raised to 320 km/h (199 mph) on the Tōhoku Shinkansen, with the maximum speed on the Akita Shinkansen tracks remaining at 130 km/h (81 mph), allowing journey times between Tokyo and Akita to be reduced by between 10 and 15 minutes.

My guess is that Kato follows the E5 pattern:

E6 Model will be announced around Oct/Nov 2012

E6 Model will be on the cover of the 2013 catalog

E6 Model will be in stores the same month as revenue service of the real thing starts (March 2013).

Have a great day!

Follow by...

-JNS Members (including myself) getting overly excited for a set.

-A new thread will be created dedicated to the info release to production to running the set

-Someone getting upset that he/she missed the boat for the first round

-Someone taking apart the model and let us admire the new mechanism and designs

-Then Tomix will be releasing its version...

• Like 1

Follow by...

-JNS Members (including myself) getting overly excited for a set.

-A new thread will be created dedicated to the info release to production to running the set

-Someone getting upset that he/she missed the boat for the first round

-Someone taking apart the model and let us admire the new mechanism and designs

-Then Tomix will be releasing its version...

lol

You are getting to know every single member of JNS Forums :P :D

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

on the topic of shinkansen kato just announced a shinkansen station set non elevated

Have a number and picture?

on the topic of shinkansen kato just announced a shinkansen station set non elevated

Have a number and picture?

yeah HS placed is in preorder as "shinkansen station"

Later changed it to "Parts Set for Platform of Shinkansen"  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10179962 love that picture serious what a waste of a pic .....

ok sounds more like a set of platform and surrounding details to make them work for shinkansens tracks not on a viaduct level.

jeff

^^ Still configured for RHD I see.. At least now that it's officially in the US, the prices on them should be even better than Japan and with cheaper shipping costs.

Remember my problem with the Kato website?

For what it's worth, I can now search properly using this page.  I haven't checked the "Stock" page again yet.  Will do so tonight.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Looks like a good month!

Kato releases the Dr. Yellow shinkansen, Tokyo Metro 500-300 series in striking red color some buses etc.

HS has pre-orders ready!

Have a look at the poster:

2012_7.jpg

I might have to have a set of those Marunouchi Line subway cars. I've always liked that paint scheme.