Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Guest Closed Account 1

Reading this via the KATO Japanese website in regards to the Limited Edition E2 Hayate:

株式会社関水金属は、被災された皆さまへの支援および被災地の復興にお役立ていただくため、売り上げの一部から日本赤十字社を通じて義援金を寄付させていただいております。

(Google translation)

Sluice Metal Inc., in order to help us support and rehabilitation of affected areas were affected to our proud to bring donations will be donated through the Red Cross from a portion of sales.

I have already placed my pre-order for this and anything that helps rebuild Japan, I will be happy to help out in anyway.

You can buy a Toyota/Lexus.  Toyota got hit hard during the disaster while Nissan, located on the other side of Japan, was untouched.

Reading this via the KATO Japanese website in regards to the Limited Edition E2 Hayate:

株式会社関水金属は、被災された皆さまへの支援および被災地の復興にお役立ていただくため、売り上げの一部から日本赤十字社を通じて義援金を寄付させていただいております。

(Google translation)

Sluice Metal Inc., in order to help us support and rehabilitation of affected areas were affected to our proud to bring donations will be donated through the Red Cross from a portion of sales.

I have already placed my pre-order for this and anything that helps rebuild Japan, I will be happy to help out in anyway.

You can buy a Toyota/Lexus.  Toyota got hit hard during the disaster while Nissan, located on the other side of Japan, was untouched.

wouldn't make a difference since a number of toyota's are no longer made in japan even manufacture cars in australia now (camry) besides toyota have plenty of money.

It's the small businesses that need the help.

My 2012 Kato catalog arrived today. The most interesting things as usual were not the currently available items but the 'coming soon' pages. There was some stuff I already knew about like the new D51 and 16000 series subway train but for your perusal here is a scan of page 21 which shows new track pieces. From top to bottom it appears we can expect No.4 crossovers, several unitram items (check out the prototype junction with a 3 way point in the photo, is that really what they are doing?), 150mm radius turnouts and last but certainly not least an electric turntable. It seems my wish for 2012 that Kato continues to expand the Unitrack range may come true.

post-218-13569930037453_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Westfalen for the Kato pics!

That seems to be a bit strange for a tram turnout; it looks 3-way on one track and 2-way on the other but... what the heck I'm loving it!!

Its enough for a tram barn or an interesting intersection.. 

And it means we can all have unique layouts!!

Best of all, it means Kato is still developing!!!

* Anybody read Japanese to translate what else is coming?

Thanks

Rick

Guest Closed Account 1

Kato re-released their Traction Tire 11-604.

Fits the Mikado and maybe others. Probably the same as the D51 parts but, with spoked wheels.

post-436-13569930039032_thumb.jpg

Hobby Dreamer
it's a single turnout doubled up.

1) My monitor or my eyes (yipes!) cannot really see this... there looks to be at least an angled crossover so unless Kato cut the track, or the track plate, for this photo it does not seem that the 2 turnouts are the same (but mirrored). It does look like a 3-way turnout.. on the bottom side.

The road plate looks 3 traffic lanes on one side!  I'm guessing this is going to allow us to make a 6/8 grand union.. as per another thread..

2) IST raises a good concern about the road plates.. but there would be no reason to go wider unless what Kato plans does not fit the 4-lanes of  previous releases..

3) Kato usually displays and discusses one part of their release (with trams) but if you look at images there is enough there to deduce a future release. For example, they first showed their PortTram in red but the box was in the image in the background and that had the blue and green trams..

There is definitely a cross over in the photo (on the RHS 1/4 from the bottom)

4) In the text box they mention 62mm; anybody know Japanese?

I'm grateful to Kato for developing new tram track! The best Unitram layout I've seen was by a member here (FF..IV, can never remember handles!). But this new track allows us to build unique layouts!

Cheers

Rick

Hobby Dreamer

Hope this helps.. re:Kato Unitram future release...

Multi-line branch intersection L 40-210

40-211 R branches double track crossing

Straight line trajectory Yunitoramu 40-031 62mm plate

40-101 Yunitoramu left curved trajectory crossing the plate

40-102 curved track crossing the plate right Yunitoramu

62mm orbit crossing the plate 90 ° 40-300 Yunitoramu

Highway 41-100 intersection Yunitoramu inner plate

Guest Closed Account 1

My 2012 Kato catalog arrived today. The most interesting things as usual were not the currently available items but the 'coming soon' pages. There was some stuff I already knew about like the new D51 and 16000 series subway train but for your perusal here is a scan of page 21 which shows new track pieces. From top to bottom it appears we can expect No.4 crossovers, several unitram items (check out the prototype junction with a 3 way point in the photo, is that really what they are doing?), 150mm radius turnouts and last but certainly not least an electric turntable. It seems my wish for 2012 that Kato continues to expand the Unitrack range may come true.

A tram double crossover with switches? That's really neat.

I'm never going to glue down my Tram tracks now. It's going to evolve again in a few months.

Hi guys,

As many of us are awaiting for the release of the newer KATO crossing, I got an e-mail from the retailer (HS) that the crossing has been delayed by a month. Which isn't a big issue as they are have brought out the release date for the kiha 30,35 and 36 (24/1/12) and the re-release of the C62-2 and 3 (27/1/12)

Still can't wait for the crossings to come out to add it to my layout.

Hi guys,

As many of us are awaiting for the release of the newer KATO crossing, I got an e-mail from the retailer (HS) that the crossing has been delayed by a month. Which isn't a big issue as they are have brought out the release date for the kiha 30,35 and 36 (24/1/12) and the re-release of the C62-2 and 3 (27/1/12)

Still can't wait for the crossings to come out to add it to my layout.

I bet you're not the only one, this might be one of those things that you are lucky you pre-ordered.

I like the way the Japanese and HS keep their customers informed about delays to release dates, I've lost track of how much American stuff I've almost forgotten I've ordered. I've never had a US manufacturer or dealer send me an apologising email because a release date was postpone by only a month.

I like the way the Japanese and HS keep their customers informed about delays to release dates, I've lost track of how much American stuff I've almost forgotten I've ordered. I've never had a US manufacturer or dealer send me an apologising email because a release date was postpone by only a month.

As you are likely well aware, in Japan apologies are offered when a train is merely 2 or 3 minutes late.  With Amtrak, a train 10~30 minutes late is still considered OT...

With Amtrak, a train 10~30 minutes late is still considered OT...

Same in the UK.

I remember a couple of years back, one service was routinely so late, they changed the timetable to make the journey longer, as it was easier/cheaper than making the train more punctual. Ask anyone on the train about the delays and it was obviously due to overcrowding and not enough space and doors for everyone to get on & off.

Some services which were 12 coaches long 10 years ago and now often run with 8 coach trains and sometimes only 5 coaches. I also recall a timetable from 1950's quoting a faster journey time to London with a steam engine than todays electric trains!!  ???

Krackel Hopper

HobbySearch pre-order page today lists a Kato Track Cleaning Pad (3pc)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10173202

Translation is pretty messy, but it mentions attaching pads to the axle.  I get the impression that you somehow hook this pad to the axle of any car and essentially drag the pad under the rolling stock?  Or maybe drag the pad behind the train?  It does not say you need a special track cleaning car to use this with.  It does mention Uni-Cleaner (24-020) which is a Kato liquid rail cleaner, probably equivalent to the Tomix rail cleaner.

HobbySearch pre-order page today lists a Kato Track Cleaning Pad (3pc)

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10173202

Translation is pretty messy, but it mentions attaching pads to the axle.  I get the impression that you somehow hook this pad to the axle of any car and essentially drag the pad under the rolling stock?  Or maybe drag the pad behind the train?  It does not say you need a special track cleaning car to use this with.  It does mention Uni-Cleaner (24-020) which is a Kato liquid rail cleaner, probably equivalent to the Tomix rail cleaner.

When we get to see a picture of these pads then we can fully work out where it would be placed and how it cleans the track. As stated the translation is very messy.

sounds like an invitation for stuff to get caught on track joints, points, etc... my little heki tank car fluid spreader drags a little pad very lightly on top of the rails just to put down fluid and it can get hung up on stuff once and a while.

i love the centerline roller cleaners. they never stick to anything as the cleaning head is rolling on the rail. much bigger surface area to do the cleaning also.

jeff

Krackel Hopper

Doing a little more digging and it sounds like the Kato cleaners are similar to these from Noch.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGnt8hDg5cj0v3kBEg2_r7OI2cgqEd8hAFpixGc212aT4SXf7z-g

It does seem like there would be a chance of these catching on rail joints.

I suppose it's another "get what you pay for" situation.  For $5 they would be helpful to clean, but you have to deal with possible snags and such.  Whereas using something like an Aztec would probably clean better with less effort, but comes with the $100 price tag.

Guest Closed Account 1

Doing a little more digging and it sounds like the Kato cleaners are similar to these from Noch.

You'll see the Kato brand name in the Noch catalog.

I believe we concluded that no one track cleaner is supreme by itself.  Using the Tomix/Atlas vacuum/rotating brush followed by the CMX rail cleaner is the best scenario. The CMX allows for washing the rail heads and webbing, or emery cloth or fine sandpaper to polish the rail heads.