Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

please remember the V15 and the overhead station, every time you use one for a station you create the need for a little space in between tracks.

Guest Closed Account 1

Ya can't tell me that this is not hot.

A 4 rail Catenary structure. Splice it or slice it for more or less tracks.

Kato 23-064

post-436-13569928544583_thumb.jpg

I have got the 4 rail cantenary on order as it looks great and by having the tracks of the V11, V14 and V16 would make a very interesting track layout.

It's only for 4 track, isn't it?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yes it is only a four track span but I noticed that if you know how to cut and glue with another cantenary you would be able to get the 6 length distance. TOMIX was smart by creating the double, triple and Qaudriple Cantenaries and it looks like KATO are now starting to build these with their double tracks. :)

Guest Closed Account 1

would make a very interesting track layout.

It'll look like you are racing slot cars with all rails with bullets.

Hmmm. :grin

I wouldn't just make it all shinkansen running, I would rather have some steamers and freighters running lol

Guest Closed Account 1

Parts Re-Release

Kato 11-604 USRA 2-8-2 Heavy Mikado Traction Tire Driver.

According to Kato USA, this part will be used in Japanese Steamers.

Expected Restock December 2011

post-436-13569928547281_thumb.jpg

Kato's updated their V15 page to show the V16 curved track also. It's also showing up on the Japanese version of their schedule with a "Late August" release, which matches the HS listing.  The translated specs are:

"Set the outer double-track line V16 (R480/447)

Plan • Dimension: 2560mm × 1432mm

248mm WS248PC × 7 linear ·, 124mm WS124PC × 1 linear, 62mm WS62PC × 1 linear, WS62FPC × 1 line feeder, R480/447mm-45 ° WR480/447-45PC × 8 curve, LWR480/447-22.5PCAL × 4 track approach , RWR480/447-22.5PCAR × 4 line approach Accessories: Rirera, and theory and the variation Guide Plan"

I'll guess "Rirera" is "rerailer".

I just pre-ordered the Shonan-livery 143 from the November poster. Looks pretty cool, and it should fit in well with our other stuff from that region.

Here's a picture of one with a Kitaguni 583, a JNR-livery 485, and a Niigata E127. Now the only one of those we'll be missing is the 485 (still!).

Krackel Hopper

Has anyone seen the Kato Twilight Express set yet?

I'm interested to know if it will have the "table lamps" in the dining car like Tomix offers.

Krackel Hopper

Kato V16 set in stock at HS

I'm hoping some American retailers carry this set soon.  The V11 is easily found in the US, but the V14 didn't receive the same welcome.  The V15 is now available in the states.  I think the V16 will make it to the US because a large portion of American N-scale modellers are of the "absolute minimum radius" of 16/18 inch and some even 20/22 inch.

I know my father is interested in a V15 & V16 combo to run his Acela set on.. seeing as how it literally needs the 18" radius curve to run at all.

I know my father is interested in a V15 & V16 combo to run his Acela set on.. seeing as how it literally needs the 18" radius curve to run at all.

Let alone if it even runs at all! Then there's the Bachmann Amtubes which are a whole different story...

Krackel Hopper

Let alone if it even runs at all! Then there's the Bachmann Amtubes which are a whole different story...

Bachmann may still be haunted by a poor quality reputation, but they have produced some really good stuff in recent years.  Peoples complaints with the Acela are primarily that the couplers are extremely difficult and the cars couple so close you need the minimum 18" radius.  Beyond that, the detailing is nice and at least the couple I have seen in person all run extremely smooth.

Their Amfleets look great, but unfortunately have issues with the wheels.  Most people with this complaint are using a Bachmann HHP-8 loco.. which is a great looking loco.. Bachmann even designed it that you can route power from the pantograph for those hardcore enough to do overhead wiring.  Unfortunately the HHP-8 lacks a traction tyre.. very simple fix that allows the HHP-8 to tow a reasonable amount of Amfleets behind it.

Then there's things like their newly tooled 4-6-0 or their GE44 ton that have proven greatly successful.

Bottom line - Bachmann may still be hit-or-miss, but they do have some good things out there.

BUT.. since this is a thread about Kato new releases..

I hope the V16 comes state side so I don't have to pay to ship a giant chunk of Styrofoam from Japan.

Bachmann may still be haunted by a poor quality reputation, but they have produced some really good stuff in recent years.  Peoples complaints with the Acela are primarily that the couplers are extremely difficult and the cars couple so close you need the minimum 18" radius.  Beyond that, the detailing is nice and at least the couple I have seen in person all run extremely smooth.

The coupler design is by far one of the worst I've seen (even worse than the power car coupler on Kato TGV/Eurostar) and the power car/Cafe Car binds on anything less than 19". So I basically can't run my set unless it's in a straight line and on perfectly flat track hahaha.

But yes, maybe when the V16 set arrives, I'll have to immediately get it! Any word on whether they'll offer the increased radius as double track viaduct as well..? (I am struggling to keep this on topic ahahaha)

Their Amfleets look great, but unfortunately have issues with the wheels.  Most people with this complaint are using a Bachmann HHP-8 loco.. which is a great looking loco.. Bachmann even designed it that you can route power from the pantograph for those hardcore enough to do overhead wiring.  Unfortunately the HHP-8 lacks a traction tyre.. very simple fix that allows the HHP-8 to tow a reasonable amount of Amfleets behind it.

Then there's things like their newly tooled 4-6-0 or their GE44 ton that have proven greatly successful.

Bottom line - Bachmann may still be hit-or-miss, but they do have some good things out there.

BUT.. since this is a thread about Kato new releases..

I hope the V16 comes state side so I don't have to pay to ship a giant chunk of Styrofoam from Japan.

Seeing this is a Kato thread, ditch your Bachmann Amleets and get some of the new Kato ones, they don't roll like bricks.

Seeing this is a Kato thread, ditch your Bachmann Amleets and get some of the new Kato ones, they don't roll like bricks.

LOL what makes you think I don't have any.. Already have the Ph IV 5 car set and the Ph IVb 3 car add-on set. Holding off on the Ph IVb loco + 3 car set as I already have 6 or 7 Kato P42s in my fleet.  :grin

Considered getting some Kato Amfleet bogies to replace the Bachmann ones, but on the Kato site, they're half of the price of a single car!! What gives?? Even so, the Kato ones are definitely much more free rolling, but they definitely still don't roll like a normal Kato would...

HS is taking pre-orders on new KATO releases.

They expand the Tokyo Metro offering with the new 10000 Series Fukutoshin Line Type:

Basic: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10160371

Add-on: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10160372

It's great to see Kato doing more Tokyo Metro trains. The Greenmax versions are great but expensive and I like the smooth engines of Kato.

I haven't found the release Poster from Kato yet....

post-206-13569928662249_thumb.jpg

I've ordered one Nozomi.  Like you, I've been eyeing-off the Greenmax one for months.  The Kato version is just over half the price of the Greenmax.

Cheers

The_Ghan