Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

The accessory parts form for the September releases is available. It looks like the Tokyo Metro 01 is DCC ready based on the 4 contact pin DCC lightboard. Still not liking the fact that most new Kato toolings are DCC ready but are not listed as such. Especially when some 'new' releases are really modified old releases and so not DCC ready.

I don't see it listed on Kato's production schedule yet, but on Friday HS listed an October pre-order for a the Keiyo line E233-5000 and expansion.

It's interesting that they're selling this as a 6-car basic set with one expansion rather than their recent practice of three-car basic sets and two expansions.

The notes say it has a flywheel, which means it must be one of their "DCC Friendly" designs, but as usual there's no mention of DCC.

Several other trains that are listed on their schedule are also up for pre-order, including the Series 883 Sonic, E4 Max, Series 185 Odoriko, Seibu Series New 101, Twilight Express EF81 and cars, YO 5000 caboose, and some other loco-hauled passenger cars.

Twilight Express EF81 and cars

Can't wait to see what these look like, seeing as the Tomix models are quite old. Anyone seen pics?

Martijn Meerts

I might be mistaken here, but doesn't the Tomix set have more than 10 cars? (I really should know, considering I have the whole set :))

I'm fairly tempted to pre-order Kato's version as well though, give the loco a different number then my Tomix version has, and ran both of them. I do wonder though, if the loco will be re-released as a Kato train, since they've released it before as Roundhouse.

No, the Tomx version is 10 cars too...however if I read the formation on Kato's site correctly it looks like Kato is modeling the 6+4 formation (with the 4 car having working lights but no motor car like they did with the E233-0 set; you could buy the motorized chasis as a seperate part to make both parts motorized). The Tomix version is the 10 car formation, packaged in a 4 car starter and 4 and 2 car addon sets.

Martijn Meerts

The Twilight Express is a loco hauled train, so it wouldn't really make sense to have motorized cars :)  (wasn't really clear I was talking about the Twilight Express though ;))

The Tomix version I have comes in 3 sets, with an additional lit dinner car as a single add-on/replacement. The base set is loco + 2 cars, then there's a 5 car and 3 car add-on I believe, plus the optional dinner car. I have one of the old ones though, before the re-release.

Twilight Express EF81 and cars

Can't wait to see what these look like, seeing as the Tomix models are quite old. Anyone seen pics?

Gah, I JUST BOUGHT the full Tomix set.  The Kato version had better not be noticeably better :)

This just came out of the blue: HS has Kato's new V16 set up for pre-order, which is described as an R480/447 curve for making a four-track curve when used with the V11 set.

There are also separate banked curves, "approach track", and catenary poles.

$#@!.  I don't know if it will even fit on the layout, but I want this!

I too quiet like this but I have to sadly wait and see what happens in the near future as I have already spent too much for the month of July-August :(

lordwinslow2

This just came out of the blue: HS has Kato's new V16 set up for pre-order, which is described as an R480/447 curve for making a four-track curve when used with the V11 set.

There are also separate banked curves, "approach track", and catenary poles.

$#@!.  I don't know if it will even fit on the layout, but I want this!

Those size curves will make the newer E5 look sharp going around them.

Winslow

R480/447 curve for making a four-track curve when used with the V11 set.

Why stop there? Get the V14 set to make a 6 track curve!!!

Guest Closed Account 1

YA beat me to the punch.

OMG these curves may just satisfy the Ntrak requirements so long freight train don't derail.

I love my 12 foot plan but who doesn't love curves?

What is Kato Unitrack Signal Viaduct w/o Track 124mm (4 7/8``) (1pc.) < S124SGLV > 20-421?

Exactly as it sounds.. It's a viaduct piece with a cutout in it so you can put the signal on there.

I don't know if it will even fit on the layout, but I want this!

I don't know how could I fit into our living room, but I want this!  :grin

(And I should buy a V14 as well.)

So happy to see bigger curves with that V16 set. I'll wait till it's availible here in the States, save money on shipping.

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

I hate to burst everyones bubble, but the V14 does not exactly fit a 6 track curve..

The V16 is 447/480, V11 is 381/414 and the V14 282/315

Basically, there is a missing radii between the V14 and V11.. the 348mm curve..

The V11 & V16 will make a sweet 4-track, but there will be a track gap between the V14 & V11..

Interestingly enough, the gap between the V14 & V11 is 66mm.. or the width of an island platform..

Just some food for thought..

I hate to burst everyones bubble, but the V14 does not exactly fit a 6 track curve..

Hehe well then hate to burst your bubble but the V14 still "fits". There will just be a hole for you to fill in - with the appropriate curve so that it can be made into a 7 track curve! HA!