Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Guest Closed Account 1

It is available for reserve. You just need to know were to look. (1999.co.jp)

Search for Double-Track widening 20-051 and 20-052

No idea on the new straights.

I think TD meant the new straight single-track CT sections.

I'm wondering the same thing myself.  I really want to use concrete ties on my "express" track loop everywhere, and my platform is far too long for the V15 (20-874) set to give me enough to do that.  But since those haven't even shown up for reserve yet, it's going to be no sooner than mid-summer, and who knows when Kato will get to them.

Guest Closed Account 1

Yeah think so too now. Don't even see V15 mentioned in the 2011 catalog. I was hoping it was to get the new straight piece's stock number.

It's in there. Page 23 top (which I think is the new products section). But they only list the parts currently available for preorder, so that could mean there are no plans to see the CT single-track separately this year.

this may sound strange but i wish i could just buy the basic cassiopeia set then 4 double decker cars seperately....

I think TD meant the new straight single-track CT sections.

I'm wondering the same thing myself.  I really want to use concrete ties on my "express" track loop everywhere, and my platform is far too long for the V15 (20-874) set to give me enough to do that.  But since those haven't even shown up for reserve yet, it's going to be no sooner than mid-summer, and who knows when Kato will get to them.

I believe Hobby Search is now listing these 248mm straight track pieces as available to expand the V15:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10136444

Also the track spacing "widening" pieces, left and right-hand, from the V15.

Rich K.

Interesting.  The photo they've been showing for this set looked like double-track, but they've now added a photo of the package that makes it clear it really is the single track.  I just ordered a whole pile of it.  :grin

• Like 1

That didn't take long! I'll need to order some, too. Now I hope that single concrete track curves aren't too far behind.

Release Poster for July 2011

What's new?

* EF510-0 locomotive in the red JRF paint scheme, same tooling as the JR East Cassiopeia (silver) and Hokutosei (blue) versions I think

* Another JR Kyushu 813-200 3-car set to go with last months. This one is in the grey and black Fukuhoku Yutaka line livery

* JR West 225-0 shin-kaisoku 8-car set. I think someone wanted this one (or maybe just wanted to ride it)

* JR West/Central 285-0 and 285-3000 Sunrise Express 7-car sets. A bit weird seeing them as 'new', but these are actually a different number (10-545/10-546 vs 10-386/10-387). The difference seems to be new tightly coupled 'tube' couplers, which I assume means diaphragm couplers like most of Kato's Shinkansen.

* A blue version of the pocket Chibi-Totsu (Steeplecab) train (scheduled for release in May)

* Something a little odd - 2 little baggage trucks. These are under Kato's structure/figure grouping, so no motor just plastic (scheduled for release this month)

* EF63 2nd Type - correction, this is actually marked new. Looking closely at the photos shows some very minor changes (literally single rivets added), though the new version seems to have better shell fit. I think it may be an upgrade/refresh of the shell, with the mechanism and couplers replaced with Kato's current standard.

On the re-release front:

* Individual cars and 8-car set of Kiha80/82

* JNR 189 Asama 12-car set (5+7)

* EF63 2nd Type

* Steam locomotive pocket train set (just the 3-car set, not the sound controller boxed set)

No HO releases for July

post-219-13569927646469_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

What's new?

* EF510-0 locomotive in the red JRF paint scheme, same tooling as the JR East Cassiopeia (silver) and Hokutosei (blue) versions I think

Can you tell if this is road number 1, or one of the later numbers? No. 1 has a different pain scheme from the latter ones. I'm interested in modeling No. 6 or 8, as these were borrowed by JRE for examination; it hauled Hokutosei, Yumekuukan, and a few other PCs on a few occasions (don't know if it was in revenue service or not.)

http://8.pro.tok2.com/~extra-t/pictures/ef510+pc12-s9842_nishibukuro3l.jpg

http://ssrweb.cocolog-nifty.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/23/ef510_24_01.jpg

* Something a little odd - 2 little baggage trucks. These are under Kato's structure/figure grouping, so no motor just plastic (scheduled for release this month)

Those look a lot like the little carts that scurry all around Tsukiji fish market. Cool!

Turret Truck in Tsukiji Fish Market

Included plates seem to be 10, 14, 18 and 20, so it would suggest that this is the full production color. I can't tell if the prototype photo Kato chose is 11 or 31.

* JR West/Central 285-0 and 285-3000 Sunrise Express 7-car sets. A bit weird seeing them as 'new', but these are actually a different number (10-545/10-546 vs 10-386/10-387). The difference seems to be new tightly coupled 'tube' couplers, which I assume means diaphragm couplers like most of Kato's Shinkansen.

On an EMU set? Not likely... Well they got rid of the diaphragm couplers and went the scharfenberg + diaphragm couplers a la E3 and E5. Most like a body mounted scharfenberg coupler like their current EMU sets...

Curious about the EF63 though...

CaptOblivious

Included plates seem to be 10, 14, 18 and 20, so it would suggest that this is the full production color. I can't tell if the prototype photo Kato chose is 11 or 31.

Then they are also providing new road numbers. Which means I can't model specifically 6 or 8 anymore :( Hrm…

Who says you can't file the '1' off 18? If you want the spacing to be just right you might be able to carefully lift the 8 off and shift it with an exacto knife.

Crazy as it sounds that might be workable - I'm sure you've got plenty of spare plates from other Kato locomotives (in theory you've got 3 sets of spares from each), why not test it out sometime before July?

3051-1  is ef510-1 ?

anyway new sunrise just as i was thinking about aquiring this. still not dcc friendly though but couldn't hurt to invest in a newer released version.

also btw the 189 kuroha is dcc friendly which is alos listed for july release for those interested and is made to go well with the ef63-2

I see it now.. It's just the old truck mounted couplers with the same under-body add-ons as the recent Cassiopeia set. Better than nothing I suppose.

Samurai_Chris

When I first came to live in Japan 10 years ago. All of the local trains on my line were nearly brand new JR Kyushu 817's.. Well that was what was written in the little yellow box on the side.. I remember the first time I rode in one it was amazing because the interior was in pristine condition with beautiful modern wooden seats with a charcoal leather (vinyl) padding and head rests that folded to seat in any direction with heating for winter. And the interior was a spacious white with metal accents..

It wasn't until I first rode on the Orio to Kokura line that I saw the 813 with the red doors and really ugly red interior.. I thought. Gee, we are lucky to have our trains on my line..

But over the years (I never catch trains often, as I have always driven) I started to notice that the interiors of my local line were starting to look like the crap red ones.. When getting in, I was sure that the exterior was the same as my usual line with the silver, black and yellow boxes near the doors. And that's when I realized that they were completely different trains..

I was waiting after a day of shopping with family at Hakata station and noticed that our train with the nice interior had 817 written inside the yellow box near the doors. And the trains with the same exterior, but red interior had 813 written in the yellow box. It was then that I realized that they were indeed different.. I am assuming that they were phasing out the ugly red accents and doors, and going with a mainstream silver with black..

So a few months ago I went and bought the Micro Ace JR Kyushu 813 100-500, and was disappointed to see that they had put red seats inside the interior.. But as this is the only thing close to what we have here in Iizuka, I now have two sets, and will have to live with it.. I just hope that they release an 817 with the newer more modern interior that I am used to seeing here some time in the future..

* JNR 189 Asama 12-car set (5+7)

Interesting--I just might go for that one. I've been looking for a JNR 485 or something similar.

Release Poster for August 2011

A little delay for Golden Week and here is August.

New Releases (N)

Kiha 47 'Aqua' 2-car set

Another small Kyushu train. Seems like last summer/fall was small trains from JR East Niigata and surrounding area, spring and summer 2011 is small JR Kyushu stock. This train works with the 813 sets already scheduled for release.

Kiha 40, various cars in Metropolitan color scheme

First is a new release, a single Kiha 47 (almost certainly using the same tooling as the Aqua set above) as both a powered and unpowered car in Metropolitan colors. There is also a release of the 4 similar cars (no idea on tooling) - Kiha 40-2000 powered, 40-2000, 47-1000 and 48-0.

381 Series 'Shinano' 9-car set

This appears to be the original JNR version, not the JR Central version. If I infer correctly this is being released as one of Kato's 'Legend' collection trains (Does anyone know what the text in the red box with a '5' say below it?). Body mounted couplers and flywheel drive suggest this could be another stealth DCC release, I won't know until the parts list is up. This is also a tilting train like the prototype.

ED16

Ok, something interesting. Usually this is Microace stuff, but Kato is running the old ED16, a compact little electric. Comes with number plates and name plates. In addition to flywheel power Kato is emphasizing this can pull the full 17-car formation of the prototype (16 Hoki plus a guard car).

Hoki 2500 - 8-car freight set

And for the ED16 is an 8-car set of Hoki 2500 to carry limestone. I'm once again going way off my prototype but this pair might get me.

Re-releases (N)

681 Series Thunderbird 6-car and 3-car addon

I think KatoUSA still has a pile of these from the last run, so not really special.

Kiha 40

See above, a rerun of the metropolitan cars.

HO Releases

Nothing.

post-219-13569927997753_thumb.jpg

Martijn Meerts

If they tout the ED16 can pull the full prototypical train, they should really make the full prototypical train available :)

Never really been Kato or Tomix's (with that one exception) style to release large freight car sets. If you want more then 8 cars in a non-passenger set you need Kawai or Microace.

Two interesting items I didn't see on the poster but now appearing at HS:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10147386

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10147389

Either they are replacement parts or 'grade up' detail parts. Since HS normally doesn't stock a lot of replacement parts, especially as a preorder for a product that isn't even out I'm inclined to think they are grade up pieces. Little grab handles make sense, and the prototype photo given doesn't look like TR213 bogies (I think TR213 have visible shocks), so maybe the bogies are for better modeling a specific timeframe.

Not really exciting news for me here...

I can't wait for someone to announce the new Skyliner! :-)