Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

But don't cancel a pre-order on a small shop. They will have a harder time selling off their inventory than Ami or HS. If you reserve the set, you have more than enough time to set the money aside for it.

• Like 2

Yes canceling a Pre-order on a shop can cause them issues, best to commit to it and set the money aside for the order. The small shops give pretty good discounts and a lot of very personal care and flexibility so you are getting a lot of value so best support that as much as you can on your side of the equation.

jeff

• Like 1
11 hours ago, disturbman said:

But don't cancel a pre-order on a small shop. They will have a harder time selling off their inventory than Ami or HS. If you reserve the set, you have more than enough time to set the money aside for it.

2 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Yes canceling a Pre-order on a shop can cause them issues, best to commit to it and set the money aside for the order. The small shops give pretty good discounts and a lot of very personal care and flexibility so you are getting a lot of value so best support that as much as you can on your side of the equation.

jeff

Yes, I agree that once you commit to one retailer, you shouldn't try to cancel it. That is why I am so hesitant on making the reservation, in case that Amazon starts stocking it. This never was a problem of the money set aside, but the hassle of tax imports outside EU. Last time I bought from Amiami I had to fill two complaints and send an official request to get back my money because they didn't allow me to receive the package unless I paid a ramson... big pain in the back, I assure all of you...

Yeah customs issues for your location can also dictate who you buy from. Amazon does seem to be good to make customs hassles a minimum in many places. It’s a complex question.

Shippers used also can make a difference. For a while I tried to avoid DHL (and thus any amazon jp) as much as I could as our local DHL shipping agent was horrible. They would leave packages out in the rain (lots of place here to put packages under cover, including at our front door!) and even left packages right behind the rear wheel of the car (usually I approach the car from the front but both times luckily I had gone to post box and saw it other wise I would have backed over the packages). But with some complaint letters and I think a new shipping agent here for DHL (they now have DHL marked trucks again) it’s fine. So things can change with time.

best to find a couple of sources that you fit well with and get a good relationship with them, it’s helps with both sides. Companies like amazon you dont develop much of a personal relationship with except maybe with your local delivery person! But if amazon can solve your customs issues and save you the ransom to 3rd party customs agents that may be worth dealing with the downsides of amazon.

jeff

11 hours ago, Shinjinkun said:

Last time I bought from Amiami I had to fill two complaints and send an official request to get back my money because they didn't allow me to receive the package unless I paid a ramson...

Without knowing more, this just sounds normal. That's how things are. Everybody in the EU has to pay taxes on imports from outside the bloc, plus some administrative fee to the carrier to get their package. Except if customs mess up and make you pay twice on a package were taxes were already paid.

Edited by disturbman
15 hours ago, disturbman said:

Without knowing more, this just sounds normal. That's how things are. Everybody in the EU has to pay taxes on imports from outside the bloc, plus some administrative fee to the carrier to get their package. Except if customs mess up and make you pay twice on a package were taxes were already paid.

Well, this is a really long story: I paid all taxes myself using the official government website, and got the package customs cleared and ready to deliver to my door. However, Correos (Spain National Shipping Company) forced me to pay an extra fee "just because" I did all the process myself... that is illegal, and I raised a complaint to the consumer arbitration board for them to give my money back, plus damages. I am still waiting for the response to the complaint, and all this was around november...  ☹️

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, that sounds illegal and a case of plain incompetence. If you do the work yourself, they have no ground to ask for a processing fee. Wish you luck with this, I'm sure you'll get compensated 🙂 

On 2/12/2023 at 10:47 AM, disturbman said:

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, that sounds illegal and a case of plain incompetence. If you do the work yourself, they have no ground to ask for a processing fee. Wish you luck with this, I'm sure you'll get compensated 🙂 

Yes, I will keep you posted once I get the official response... but it is taking longer that is should 😞

On 2/12/2023 at 7:11 PM, Dave K said:

I am very happy indeed that Seven Stars has been re-released.

I pre-ordered it yesterday from PJ.

Dave

Yes, that's great! By the way, guys, I saw this morning that they finally put on sale seven stars in Amazon JP, so I ordered it quickly! That was the last one of the three I wanted: shiki-shima, mizukaze, and now nanatsuboshi (even that they are Tomix the first two, and Kato the last one). 🙂 

1 hour ago, Shinjinkun said:

That was the last one of the three I wanted: shiki-shima, mizukaze, and now nanatsuboshi (even that they are Tomix the first two, and Kato the last one). 🙂 

Have no fear. Japanese railways have a way of coming up with trains you just got have. I thought I was safe with three trains years ago. Then I went down the rabbit hole. And I'm a tram guy not a train guy!!!😁

Edited by bill937ca
  • Haha 2
On 2/15/2023 at 1:16 AM, bill937ca said:

Have no fear. Japanese railways have a way of coming up with trains you just got have. I thought I was safe with three trains years ago. Then I went down the rabbit hole. And I'm a tram guy not a train guy!!!😁

Yes, for some reason, I end up buying one thing or another... no matter what...

By the way, seven stars train in the end only lasted for three days in Amazon... I am glad I got it the moment I saw it, cause if I hesitated and waited for the weekend, I would be wasted by now...

On 2/16/2023 at 5:02 PM, Aleks said:

Damn... I was not planning to buy this one... then I looked at it and now I want it....

It is a very nice set and the paint and detail quality is a cut above the usual Kato models IMO. The DF200 alone is exceptionally well done.

On 2/15/2023 at 7:33 AM, Shinjinkun said:

That was the last one of the three I wanted: shiki-shima, mizukaze, and now nanatsuboshi

I missed out on the Kato Shiki shima, although I was less interested in its design at the time of release. Hope they decide to produce it again. The Mizukaze is also produced beautifully, although Tomix decided to pick out more of the underside detail (easily painted if you want to improve the Kato’s look) I felt the colouration and printing quality was generally better on the Kato product at that time.

• Like 2
shadowtiger25

None of the American dealers have it in stock yet? All of them still say preorder.

I pre-ordered it from Tony's trains but I've heard nothing so far

Edited by disturbman
answering previous message, no need for quoting
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, bill937ca said:

It was released in February 2023 after delay.

Yes, February 24th according to the website. Large retailers in Japan may get stock slightly before but most 1 or 2 days after.

UK stock usually is ordered once a month and comes via ship container to arrive with the distributor (Gaugemaster Controls) before it’s shipped out to other stores. Realistic to expect end of March to Mid April.

US probably quicker but I would still allow a few weeks.

shadowtiger25

Well, looks like hobby search just got them in.

If I have to wait a couple more weeks for the US retailers that's fine. Honestly I'll wait and get the free shipping on it at Tonys trains 260 rather than pay international shipping on the thing.

• Like 1

New release info for August is up. 

455, 475 and 115 action and sadly no HO. Nothing that really shouts at me so hopefully these  “meh!” releases for me means something more exciting in Q4?

I like the "new" Series 115-300 😍 Need them for Habuki Line scenery!

Edited by lighthouse
2 hours ago, Kamome said:

Nothing that really shouts at me so hopefully these  “meh!” releases for me means something more exciting in Q4?

The more "Meh..." releases there are, the more we can save for when the real stuff shows up!

• Like 2