Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

It seems rather unnecessary to change many of my motors. I find the majority of my Kato stock runs smoothly and quietly anyway. I have a couple of growly motors that I will test these replacements on, namely a Kiha 82 and 655 series.

This is the great thing about Kato. Using the same motor chassis design or improving an existing model rather than a total overhaul means you can upgrade parts and motors to bring your trains up to date.

• Like 2
On 11/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, maihama eki said:

Is anyone besides me wishing that Kato would do an E235-1000? I really want that beautiful blue livery and the double decker cars.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Series-E235-1000_J10.jpg

I passed on the Tomix version due to my occasional firm stance on new trains equipped with truck mounted Rapido couplers.

Kato heard my request. 

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/e235_1000

I may need a loan to get the full train. Yow. 

Edited by maihama eki
  • Like 4

Careful what you say, they are listening here!

i started to make a food cart from scratch and halfway thru Tomytec announced theirs…

jeff

1 minute ago, disturbman said:

I wonder if the WaMus are getting a new mould, and especially opening doors. Kato’s older mould was really subpar compared to MA.

Per the product page: https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/wamu380000

2軸貨車の主力形式ワム80000系列をフルリニューアルで製品化

so yes, sounds like a complete new mould.

• Thanks 1
On 12/2/2021 at 4:42 AM, roadstar_na6 said:

Pre-ordered a brown EF61, but I still hope for something new in the SL department soon 😄

You and me both, roadstar! I have a profound love of anything steam-powered. Which is why the biggest part of my N and H0 locomotive fleets are, predictably, steam locomotives. I may need to consider renaming my profile now...

Seriously though, it would be nice to see a new Kato SL. So many options to theorize about! In the meantime, it's pleasing to see another ED75 variant on the way. I am hoping that the ED75-0 bodyshell will be suitable for the later-model ED75-1000; if so, then snagging a complete shell will enable me to complete - at long last! - the incomplete 75-1000 I have in my parts box. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ED75-775 said:

I have a profound love of anything steam-powered. Which is why the biggest part of my N and H0 locomotive fleets are, predictably, steam locomotives.

It's the same with me, although only in HO scale. Funny thing is that my favourite JNR electrics are the ED75s. I now have three of them from Tomix, and a single ED79 as well. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Received the 2022 catalogue from Santa this year and pretty much all of the planned products have already been announced. There is a little feature about the Odoriko history so we may get a 14系 and EF58 later this year. There’s also an image of the 157系 Amagi which I really hope they do run again along with the royal train version. 

As for HO looks like they’ll do another run of the 165 at some point.

• Like 2

E235-1000, I've the Tomix, I shouldn't want the Kato but....where to order them from, I might even place an order for the additional 4 car set with the national distributor even if it ends up dearer for me as I'm gonna have an expensive May.... 

At last!

Preordered the loco, the two separate container flats and the packs of containers. Will be back for the eight car set nearer the time.

• Like 2

Which opportunity would that be? 🙂 They already missed the 40 year anniversary of the opening. The next anniversary is next year.

2 hours ago, disturbman said:

Which opportunity would that be? 🙂 They already missed the 40 year anniversary of the opening. The next anniversary is next year.

The opportunity that there’s demand for it. I’d preorder in a heartbeat, I'm sure many others would as well.

Ah... I don't think that I would describe this as a "missed opportunity". The missed opportunity was not to release the set for the 40 year anniversary. Not fulfilling panting demand is a constant missed opportunity. But, whatever, semantics, like many others, I'm also waiting for the release of the original TGV Sud-Est.

On 1/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, disturbman said:

New TGVs announced for 2022.

brake....  😉  

announced from Lemke, until this don't appear on Kato website news is like "wrote on the sand"

the list of TGV's and other models never born or released years after is already enough long, is better to wait..

(also the new OBB Railjet/Nightjet generation is published in the same PDF, but the real train today is still a prototype..... ) 

ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, jappomania said:

announced from Lemke, until this don't appear on Kato website news is like "wrote on the sand"

Considering it also has Kato product codes already I'd say it's a safe bet?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Considering it also has Kato product codes already I'd say it's a safe bet?

Does having product codes tell you anything about the timing? The Kato/Lemke ICE4 was announced by Lemke years before it was released. I have no idea whether product codes were given when Lemke first announced it though.

No release dates were given beyond “New items 2023.” But hasn’t Kato been releasing a couple of TGV sets per year these past few years?