Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Back from the dead (so to speak) and in terms of time saved spent looking for missing parts or crushing delicate parts I'd say the Kato tweezers are worth it. I do 1/700 ships too (well I should say I have boxes of 1/4 started 1/700 ships...) and these will help with those. Might even be useful on photoetch. 

• Like 1

I ordered the Yellow band E4, which is a bit excessive as I have the pink band already.

I don't think I'll be able to resist those tweezers. Though really, I should search first and see if I can get the same thing for less.

I'm really puzzled why no one has produced a Series 400 or an E1 in Donkey's years. These are my only two Shinkansens left to collect. Any reason why no one is releasing them?

Edited by gavino200
  • Like 3

You can never have to many E4s! Dems da beasts!

I’ve seen a few specialty tweezers in jewelers supply sites. Other place to look is watch repair tools.

jeff

• Thanks 1
On 10/29/2021 at 9:13 PM, gavino200 said:

I ordered the Yellow band E4, which is a bit excessive as I have the pink band already.

I'm really puzzled why no one has produced a Series 400 or an E1 in Donkey's years. These are my only two Shinkansens left to collect. Any reason why no one is releasing them?

I have 3,5 E4s and will be buying 2 more soon 😉

Tomix released the E1 I think 2-3 years ago? in 2018 (item number 98982) In old color and anniversary packaging. It was super popular and sold out almost instantly. Tomix also makes the 400 cabin car for their museum line, making me hopeful they will soon re-release it. 

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really hope Kato will produce the E4 Max last run though.... It seems everyone cant get enough of these double decker beasts!!! The Kato one is great, with the motor that doesnt block out the lower deck, and is definately a great visual upgrade from the Tomix!

• Like 2
On 10/30/2021 at 1:38 AM, Yavianice said:

I have 3,5 E4s and will be buying 2 more soon 😉

Tomix released the E1 I think 2-3 years ago? in 2018 (item number 98982) In old color and anniversary packaging. It was super popular and sold out almost instantly. Tomix also makes the 400 cabin car for their museum line, making me hopeful they will soon re-release it. 

wow, you count also the fraction of Shinkansen formations?

so I think I have 6,75 E4 till now....😋

good news the E4 "re-release", bad news for those that waited the original release for the orphan couple of head cars with Toki mark (the cars number match the original 10-292/93 and not the new one..)
maybe will be less hard to find one used at decent price..  hunting will start! 🎯

ciao!

Massimo

6 hours ago, jappomania said:

wow, you count also the fraction of Shinkansen formations?

so I think I have 6,75 E4 till now....😋

good news the E4 "re-release", bad news for those that waited the original release for the orphan couple of head cars with Toki mark (the cars number match the original 10-292/93 and not the new one..)
maybe will be less hard to find one used at decent price..  hunting will start! 🎯

ciao!

Massimo

Heh, I actually have the 10-292/93 for the TOKI mark cars (hence also the 3,5). But I was thinking to get the newest KATO E4 anyway to couple with my pink KATO E4.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:26 PM, cteno4 said:

Wow $100 tweezers, havnt had ones that expensive since grad school for cell dissection. Looks like the have a T slot cut into them to hold parts in like antennas. You can make your own, but they won’t have Kato laser engraved and a beautiful wooden storage box to keep them in! But good tweezers are worth their weight in gold!

cheers

jeff

For some poison, Shigemon san made a video to show the pincers in action:

• Like 3

You beat me to the punch @JR 500系

That EF61 looks a bit tasty too. Might consider a double header with a long parcel train. 

Also interesting KTM we’re at the event. I know they produced the brass wagon kits that came with the STEAM paper kit diesel. Seems unique to have the producer of some of the lowest priced n scale product with the maker of some the most expensive brass HO. I mean that Hinotori is around ¥750,000.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

For some poison, Shigemon san made a video to show the pincers in action:

Wow. Super unnecessary! So why am I still so tempted? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Alternatives that may be much less expensive. Not as nice but may do the job…

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003220815470.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.52ee4c4dtByfNJ

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/tools/hg-tweezers-grip-type-tip/ (Can be found many places)

https://www.jewelrymonktools.com/product-page/notched-tweezers

i have a pair of the first ones on the list somewhere (too many tools!) and I use it for starting small screws. Probably would work well on small parts, need to keep rummaging around, I have way too many tweezers. Not as nicely machined as the Kato ones, but significantly cheaper. I think they are on Amazon for like $8. 

i liked the look of the tamiya so ordered a pair off ebay.

may try to make my own with some that have an offset in the pressure points and clamp close and drill into the interface to make the + groove in the jaw faces.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ha tool sucker! I guess If the price is spread over all the trains you may add details to it may get down to a dollar a train!

i just got the tamiya today. They are kind of pincers at the tip with a slot down the middle. Will be useful in some cases.

jeff

43 minutes ago, maihama eki said:

Is anyone besides me wishing that Kato would do an E235-1000? I really want that beautiful blue livery and the double decker cars.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Series-E235-1000_J10.jpg

I passed on the Tomix version due to my occasional firm stance on new trains equipped with truck mounted Rapido couplers.

I'll second this and have been hoping for it for sometime now ~ REally hope Kato takes this up, since they already have the E235 mould from the Yamanote Line and the mould from E233-3000 for the double decker cars... And yes the Rapido couplers are getting to me too  X_X

• Like 1

Seems as if there’s more information to come. EF61 in brown after the blue one in March and an EF60 500. Another 20 series formation is always welcome but not hugely exciting. 

• Like 1
On 11/8/2021 at 10:57 PM, cteno4 said:

Ha tool sucker! I guess If the price is spread over all the trains you may add details to it may get down to a dollar a train!

That was my thought. I have a bunch of, ahem, early efforts that could definitely benefit from a better job. And you amass a pile of spare whistles/flares/ handles quite fast. Also I look at how much time they'll save looking tiny parts that pop into the abyss, 3-4 of those and they pay for themselves.

They also look to be good for adding details on North American locomotives and armor and ship models. So yes they're a novelty but a useful one. 

Still oddly awaiting Kato to pick up the Kiha-261 or the E235-1000 series.... or even the E231-0 series (Narita Line 120th Anniversary Wrapping) 5 Cars Set, of which the last 2 Kato already has moulding for..... X_X

KATO 11-503-A new motor can be reserved from KATO directly.

Note that it will take a while until your regular supplier (e.g. RG-R/MTP) can stock it themselves (maybe in a month or so).

See here for a comparison of this motor vs the previous version

https://www.orientalexpress.jp/11-503-a_motor/

Compatibility list here:

https://www.e-katomodels2.com/slotlessmotor.pdf

In it there are 3 categories:

White: Can be exchanged without issue

Yellow: Can be exchanged, but the train runs faster with the original motor (relevant for shinkansens etc.). The second group in this category can be exchanged but isn't easy/fiddly/requires some kitbashing

Red: Cannot be used, not compatible

Lots of trains are not listed, for these trains it is officially not compatible yet. KATO is exploring whether to make it compatible with other trains that are not on these lists. 

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There has been a lot of interest and speculation in the U.S. about this new slotless motor design. Apparently it runs slower (generally a good thing for railway models) with more torque (the wires are closer to the magnets in the case) and less cogging at slow speeds (since there are no commutator poles). It's an innovative design.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=52888.0

It has the same form factor as the Kato GM3 motor.

Rich K.

• Like 2

Interesting, all my Kato loco's are out of the running for slotless. My Kiha110s, E217 & E257 are supposedly direct replacements and the KRT 6000s aren't even listed.