Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

2 hours ago, Kamome said:

I think it’s good that a larger manufacturer gets in on the action to see if they can attract more into the market. Kato already carry Peco 009 track and rolling stock on their website and it could start more production in the future. The 1:80 Na-Ro Tomytec models were nice but needed quite a lot of detailing to make them look half decent. Could be a new line for Kato and who knows, they may even start producing their own models and 9mm Unitrack with narrow gauge sleeper spacing. 

I wouldn't get your hopes up regarding Kato doing narrow gauge track given they have barely introduced any new track for N Scale for years other than the much welcomed open pit track and curved bridge sections, I wish they would lift their game and produce more concrete sleepered track in single track format, especially curves which they are totally lacking, changing the colours of the wooden sleepered tracks from brown to grey just doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud @Das Steinkopf and having been building up a collection over the last 12 years, I know how slow Kato’s pace is, especially when it comes to track work.

The focus of these kits is to establish skills for further modelling with a box shaped card diesel and square box brass hoppers. It’ll be interesting to see what happens though once they release their 2 Welsh narrow gauge steam locomotives in relation with Peco. If there’s a lot of interest, who knows what else they’ll produce. The Glacier Express certainly spurned a range of additional releases over the years, granted non of these were track other than some tight radius stuff, for this and their pocket line. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Just thinking out loud @Das Steinkopf and having been building up a collection over the last 12 years, I know how slow Kato’s pace is, especially when it comes to track work.

The focus of these kits is to establish skills for further modelling with a box shaped card diesel and square box brass hoppers. It’ll be interesting to see what happens though once they release their 2 Welsh narrow gauge steam locomotives in relation with Peco. If there’s a lot of interest, who knows what else they’ll produce. The Glacier Express certainly spurned a range of additional releases over the years, granted non of these were track other than some tight radius stuff, for this and their pocket line. 

If anything I think Kato will just market the Peco 009 track given they are already in partnership with a whole host of other things aside from the aformentioned 009 Scale Locomotives, I am curious how it all works out as my other model railway interest is late 1930's in Mid Wales and I could be tempted to dabble in a bit of 009, especially with Bachmann coming out with the Quarry Hunslets next year.

Pretty interesting stuff, esp the Hamakaze ~~  A good and economical option of the 4-car 103 series with working head/ tail lights!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10819196/30/1

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10819269/30/1

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10819220/30/1

I actually thought they released the 36+3 and got all so excited until i read carefully again ....  😅

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nothing hugely exciting. The price of the Ffestiniog engine has gone up a fair bit. Unless there have been some increased details compared to the samples I saw, I’d say it’s about ¥5000 more than it should be. Despite the price, they have included proper 009 couplers from Peco and it’s supposedly DCC ready. Still might look into one if i can find a decent price. 

Also, sounds boring, but the wide curve HO unitrack. Most clubs hire a big room, put up tables and tend to have a temporary set up so so think these will be popular with those kinds of groups. Their layout plan in a space of 1800cm x 900cm would give some nice photos if the curve had added scenery.

D51 498 seems to be a minor update with an added headlight. The spoke wheels were not added to my earlier released 498 or OE version but we’re easily changed. I do hope they have updated the light units and reflectors on the new JR East Takasaki centre 12 series coaches. These were pretty bad on the old version so might look at a few update parts. 

I'm a little disappointed that kato seems to be putting "new" on almost everything these days, despite many of them just being extremely minor number or lettering changes.  Also the oo9 locomotive seems to be massively overpriced.  From past releases foreign sales items seem to not get very large discounts and it's not a particularly detailed model, so having it almost double the cost of a more detailed N steamer seems excessive. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

A good and economical option of the 4-car 101 series with working head/ tail lights!

They definitely want to get their money's worth out of that old tooling... Still, way less than half the price of the modern Tomix HG 4-car sets.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Also the oo9 locomotive seems to be massively overpriced.

I think this is Kato thinking they can price it for the British market. Bachmann options start at around this price and then Heljan way more. It also mean that if they do produce the double fairlie, it’s going to be a lot more expensive. 

• Sad 1

Not sure if this was announced earlier and I just missed it, but HobbySearch is taking reservations for a re-release of the Diotown Office Building and Boutique buildings.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10819591

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10819588

I have the Boutique building and it's one of my faves, and so I'll probably have to try to pick up the Office Building this time around.

Edit: And the Broadcast building and 5th Avenue building are also getting another run:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10646054

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10646056

What a time to be alive!

Edited by James-SNMB
  • Like 3

NOCH announced the 103 Sets for distribution in Germany. I can't believe they sell a 4-Part EMU for only 89.99€...

My local Store will sell it for much lesser..

Edited by Steve
  • Like 2

With Noch it’s easy, just wait a couple years until they give up selling them for their asking price and pick a couple up at trade fairs when Noch has a stand. That’s how I got my Toreiyu and Komachi for almost the same price you would pay for them on Hobbysearch 😉

• Haha 1

I get the distinct impression that Noch are charging what the European market expects to pay (following Minitrix/Fleischmann/etc), and pocketing the difference.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:49 AM, JR 500系 said:

Pretty interesting stuff, esp the Hamakaze ~~  A good and economical option of the 4-car 103 series with working head/ tail lights.

Excited with the Hamakaze 6 car-set for 130 EUR. Love colors with that design. Also the 103 is a good present for next Valentine's Day!

A thought regarding 009 track as mentioned earlier, Peco do 009 flexi and sectional track along with pointwork. Chances are that Kato will import it along with the rolling stock to sell alongside the new locos.

Wow $100 tweezers, havnt had ones that expensive since grad school for cell dissection. Looks like the have a T slot cut into them to hold parts in like antennas. You can make your own, but they won’t have Kato laser engraved and a beautiful wooden storage box to keep them in! But good tweezers are worth their weight in gold!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

The tweezers will go nicely with my €25 Apple Cloth, €849 Apple Wheels, and €1099 Apple Stand

(I am too poor for those things) 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

New releases from kato out.  EF61 will be nice, and I may pick up an extra EF30 so I can double head with it.

I was thinking exactly the same about the EF30 although I don't have a proper mail train either. 

If those tweezers guarantee no more small parts pinging off, never to be seen again, I'd say I'd be sold even despite their price.

I am also quite pleased that the E4 will have another run in the original livery with different running numbers. Good for a double heading, double decker.

• Like 2

Those tweezers do look surprisingly tempting, and unlike Apple products there's a much better chance of getting a lifetime's use out of them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
7 hours ago, disturbman said:

Some have tried, they ran into issues.

863978752_Laspals.thumb.jpg.3638ce55744ce398308a2c7ca95a09df.jpg

Source - Wikipedia 

Edited by JR East
  • Haha 1