Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Some more delays announced for the August releases which have been pushed back to September.

Tobu 8000. 

E2 

923 Doctor Yellow

HO 20 series coaches

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Some more delays announced for the August releases which have been pushed back to September.

Tobu 8000. 

E2 

923 Doctor Yellow

HO 20 series coaches

Good news for me, gives me more time to save up for the 20 series after I spent more than meant to this month.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeah while i'm most likely will be getting the N700S eventually (since it's going to be a staple set for the Tokaido shinkansen), i'm more inclined towards the Tomix for the power couplers and the twin motor cars.... maybe they'll even have a painted livery one? An olympic livery sounds just right at this juncture of time ~~

• Like 1

I may get a N700S at some point, if I do it'll probably be the kato one due to the DCC ready design.  We'll see how I feel about it in about 6 months!

• Like 2

I’m with you there, Kiha. 

I too am slightly happy about the delay. It may mean an ED76 will join the fleet or perhaps wait. I’m waiting for Kato and Tomix to do more Taki 1000s.

I’m in 2 minds about the N700S. I sort of want one but it will get very limited running time the same as my N700A. 

It’ll be produced a few times so i don’t think i need to rush out and preorder the 16 car west set. 

• Like 1

The thing that puts me off of the Tomix one is the fuzzy N700S logo. All the other printing looks good, but the logo looks like the shell moved when being applied. I saw a base 4 car set today at my local hobby shop and it’s the only thing i don’t like about it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Depressing announcement, 2 new releases and 2 re-releases if you include the Roundhouse ED76

I am happy about this. Especially about the ED76-551. Not 100% happy, because its only an another colour-version of the regular ED76-500...

Sometimes you safe money, sometimes your wallet wanna be a black hole 😅

Das Steinkopf
4 hours ago, Kamome said:

I’m waiting for Kato and Tomix to do more Taki 1000s.

At 21 Tomix and 24 Kato TaKi 1000's I think I have more that enough to really want any more, add to that the 9 Kato TaKi 43000's I have.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Sorry i was talking about HO gauge ones. Kato are rerunning the 43000s again next month but haven’t produced any blue or green 1000s for a while. 

• Like 1

I'd love a taki 3000 or similar in HO, but it seems like the only HO releases in the past few years are just reissues of old molding.

On 7/31/2021 at 11:41 AM, JR 500系 said:

Yeah while i'm most likely will be getting the N700S eventually (since it's going to be a staple set for the Tokaido shinkansen), i'm more inclined towards the Tomix for the power couplers and the twin motor cars.... maybe they'll even have a painted livery one? An olympic livery sounds just right at this juncture of time ~~

I think i just made my decision.... 

On 7/31/2021 at 2:08 PM, cteno4 said:

I’m an all wheel pickup boy myself.

jeff

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?scode=RAIL-28445

Way too attractive to miss....

While we are on this topic... 

A nice review of the differences in N700A and N700S

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 3
On 8/3/2021 at 6:21 AM, JR 500系 said:

I think i just made my decision.... 

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?scode=RAIL-28445

Way too attractive to miss....

While we are on this topic... 

A nice review of the differences in N700A and N700S

Car connection looks way better on the TOMIX then the KATO imo, which is ironic coming from me because I almost always prefer the KATO connection methods over the large painted boxes that TOMIX sticks between cars. In this case I think the TOMIX one looks much more accurate rather then the KATO version which although has a small gap, it does not appear almost seamless like the TOMIX. I am also surprised that KATO decided to do both East and West versions when previously they never had West versions for 700, N700, or N700A. 

Yes saw this in the flesh but forgot to post here.

9A1EE2FD-486C-47D7-B568-2F2E4EB3B113.thumb.jpeg.3e1a5b63f67e2df4a6616eb98b7be33c.jpeg

Google translated text:

A controller that reproduces the cab of a train in recent years is now available!  Reproduce "that shape"!  It is often seen on trains in recent years.  The one-handed one-handle mascon is reproduced not only in shape but also in driving operation.  Fully linked with the sound box!  Depending on the operation of the controller, the sound box makes the acceleration sound of the vehicle and the relaxation sound of the brake, and when the mascon handle is set to the neutral position, it automatically enters the emotional state, and the sound and operation are completely linked. , Realize an unprecedented driving experience!  Furthermore, in order to optimize the interlocking of sound during acceleration and reduction speed, the "SYNC" function has been separated for acceleration and deceleration, and finer adjustment has been achieved.  Realization of a realistic sense of speed!  One-handle controller (tentative name) Part number, price, release date undecided Under development!  Maximum speed and acceleration / deceleration volumes are available.  You can easily enjoy realistic driving at scale speed.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 3
Modellbahn JP
On 7/31/2021 at 11:05 AM, Kiha66 said:

Good news for me, gives me more time to save up for the 20 series after I spent more than meant to this month.

Don't forget Tramway will release Series 20 sleeper "Golden age Asakaze" in (maybe) Octorber!

Edited by Modellbahn JP
  • Like 2

Looks like it’s limited to only HCK and those hobby shops who helped support the diorama competition. My, now not so local, hobby shop, Fukaya in Yahata was pushing entries for the competition so hopefully he will get some in. Possibly Poppondetta may have them too. I wonder if they’re planning to release another item after this weekend’s Tokyo event.

Update 19/08/2021- Some outlets are now listing the JR Kyushu Kiha 58/28 on their websites. Tam Tam are taking pre-orders up to the end of August for the November release.

International suppliers, so far

Hobby Search

Not seen anything on RG Rokko or MTP as yet for buyers wanting them outside of Japan.

Edited by Kamome
Updated product information
  • Thanks 1
On 8/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, Kamome said:

Not seen anything on RG Rokko or MTP as yet for buyers wanting them outside of Japan.

If anyone wants that set, they can probably ask them and they will check with Kato.

• Like 1

I just received the latest Hobby Search News and it appears Kato is releasing some HOe kits - a small diesel and some open wagons.  The wagons look to be brass kits that will fit on a plastic chassis.

Part of their STEAM program (which appears to be a take off on STEM education) but I am not really sure.

Could these be the gateway drug that gets me working in Japanese HO?  I am not going to pre-order but if they are available after release I might just try them.

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 2

They are quite fetching in the flesh. The little diesel is a paper kit and fits onto one of their 4 wheel motor chassis. The wagons are indeed brass and made by KTM (Katsumi) who are a producer of brass HO models. The top needs to be soldered together and then it fits onto a plastic wagon chassis. Certainly a good way to gain different skills for model making.

As for other releases, an ED78 and some 50 series coaches in N would be quite nice.

• Like 2

Given that they're also cooperating with Peco to make 009 models I'm not all that surprised. There seems to be a bit of a mania for narrow gauge on 9mm track amongst Japanese manufacturers at the moment.

I take it Japanese HOe is 1:80 to match their other HO models, as opposed to the 1:87 everyone else uses? That would also mean it was closer to the 1:76 of 009...

When I visited the JAM show in Tokyo a few years ago, there were actually a lot of HO scale, narrow gauge modellers. Some combined it with the 16.5mm track and rolling stock but certainly there were many who had small shelf sized layouts or small modules. 

Generally, it was cottage industry producers with the odd bigger, but still smallish, manufacturers like World Kougei.  I spoke to one chap who actually sold small detail parts for Narrow gauge. Most of his business was selling scale, Forest line type couplers. 

I think it’s good that a larger manufacturer gets in on the action to see if they can attract more into the market. Kato already carry Peco 009 track and rolling stock on their website and it could start more production in the future. The 1:80 Na-Ro Tomytec models were nice but needed quite a lot of detailing to make them look half decent. Could be a new line for Kato and who knows, they may even start producing their own models and 9mm Unitrack with narrow gauge sleeper spacing. 

• Like 1