Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Huh, the 0 says new, so I wonder if it'll actually be a modern product or just slight differences using older molds.  If its actually a modern release I might get it and sell my older set.  Fingers crossed for full new molding with DCC compatibility and body mount couplers. 

The azuma news is really disappointing for me, I was looking forward to it but for $250 I'd hope for at least the ability to get the full 9 car set.

Update on the 0:
"We will improve and commercialize some specifications of 0 series 2000 series that was active in KATO's long-selling product, Tokaido Sanyo Shinkansen. The head / tail lights of both leading cars are changed to LEDs, and the lighting state inside the lights of the actual car is reproduced, making it more attractive."

So sadly sounds like its just the 15+ year old model, just with LED lights.  Disappointing.  

Edited by Kiha66

So Kato have finally released pricing on the UK Class 800/0 GWR and 800/2 LNER. 5 car powered sets seem reasonably priced considering what Dapol and Graham Farish pricing is in the UK.

HobbySearch

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10741649

Ill be buying at least x2 of the 800/0 GWR.

Guy

Edited by GCS
  • Like 1

another fake 0-2000? bah... probably nobody has advised Mr.Kato that the first 0 series in 16 correct cars formation has been released 20 years ago....

it's really hard to find another reason to buy this one over than collecting all the Shinkansen release, probably after 20 years it's time for me to end

just a little tip for Kato's sales managers, today your 0 is the worst model on market, at this price you can't think just only  a couple of led's is enough to renovate a 40 years old mold , what you tell me about rooftops? again a 16 cars formation whit only 2000 subseries? if for you is Ok I buy another .... Tomix/MA (competition with MA is not scary, but Tomix has learned his lesson)

Yep, the 0系2000 seems quite a lazy addition. I may purchase the update parts for my existing set but there really is nothing exciting for the majority of their customers who, I’m sure, already own a “Zero”.

I would suggest it’s been missing from Kato stock for too long but Tomix and Microace have had the shinkansen fans covered pretty well during its absence. 

It’s nice to have an update on the 800 but not sure i’ll be that interested in acquiring one. I do like the GWR livery but my interest in modern British railways is very limited. While I’m sure it will be a nice model, I think for me, it’s running opportunities will be short lived. Looking forward to more news about the Ffestiniog narrow gauge engines with Peco though. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Yep, the 0系2000 seems quite a lazy addition. I may purchase the update parts for my existing set but there really is nothing exciting for the majority of their customers who, I’m sure, already own a “Zero”.

I would suggest it’s been missing from Kato stock for too long but Tomix and Microace have had the shinkansen fans covered pretty well during its absence. 

It’s nice to have an update on the 800 but not sure i’ll be that interested in acquiring one. I do like the GWR livery but my interest in modern British railways is very limited. While I’m sure it will be a nice model, I think for me, it’s running opportunities will be short lived. Looking forward to more news about the Ffestiniog narrow gauge engines with Peco though. 

What are the update parts for the zero? Are they selling an LED conversion set.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

So sadly sounds like its just the 15+ year old model, just with LED lights.  Disappointing.  

Honestly, that fifteen year old model isn't so bad. I bought one from some dude on the internet and I've been very happy with it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hadn't thought about just getting the parts to upgrade my set, that's a good idea!  Beware the cab cars are a bit tricky to disassemble, I had some issues getting them off the first time putting DCC in!

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I hadn't thought about just getting the parts to upgrade my set, that's a good idea!  Beware the cab cars are a bit tricky to disassemble, I had some issues getting them off the first time putting DCC in!

Yes, you have to take the nose caps off first before doing anything else. I assume the included ones are to ensure you have some spares, should you fudge the removal.

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

Any word on where to get it? I don't see it for order on Hobbysearch.

Generally these things are only sold through the Kato Hobby shop but Hobbysearch will probably list it soon enough. These things tend to be released shortly after in case of any QC issues with the model.

• Thanks 2

Hobbysearch always does the Hobbycentre upgrade kits.  Just gotta wait a few days later than the incoming model pre-order start date.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
On 11/27/2020 at 4:55 AM, Kiha66 said:

Considering the update parts even fit the models that were sold individually (Art.-No. 409x), I‘d reckon that mold is over 30 years old now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, roadstar_na6 said:

Considering the update parts even fit the models that were sold individually (Art.-No. 409x), I‘d reckon that mold is over 30 years old now.

yep! 1983/84.....😉   and 2800JPY for a couple of pcb with 4 led and 4 resistors? not bad... 🤑

17 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Honestly, that fifteen year old model isn't so bad. I bought one from some dude on the internet and I've been very happy with it! 

of course, the mold and run quality is not bad, but what I really dislike is the same rooftop of cars type 25-2000/26-2200 on cars type 15-1000, 16-2000, 36-1000, 27-1000, 37-2500....

BTW contemporary Tomix 0-2000, but also the oldest Endo 0 and Gakken 0-1000 have the same cars formations inconsistency, but the roof was correctly riproduced for every single car

and,  (that's for Kato again) 26-2000 and 26-2200 aren't the same cars, you can't just change the sticker/decals number, for 35.000JPY in 2021.....🙈  

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that Kato hasn't invested in more accurate 0 series tooling. Their existing 0 series is a superb runner with stellar build quality; I don't regret buying it as my first n gauge shinkansen years ago.

But Tomix and MicroAce can charge higher prices for their more modern, more detailed versions. I would think that there is a business case to be made for Kato to invest more and command higher prices. Baffling.

HOT7000, N700S, E235 (blue version), 223 series appear as “planned products” with product numbers in the latest KATO catalogue

• Like 2

Adding the new Odoriko E257-2000 to the list, though that's not really a surprise.

I'm curious about the E129. The Niigata area 115-1000 have been quite in the spotlights between Tomix and Kato, but the E129 has been clearly MIA from any announcements. I look forward its possible productin.

On 1/27/2020 at 4:54 PM, drt7uk said:

Thanks for sharing this. What does the 'column' section mean? Does it mean they are going to bring out a model but haven't got a release date yet?

I'm definitely getting the ALFA-X if they release a model of it...

Best,

David

Hi folks - what do we think the reason is that neither Kato nor Tomix seem to be producing a model of the Alfa-X? Do you think licensing issues might be the problem? 

Given the popularity of Doctor Yellow models, and that we are a few years at least from this prototype being developed into the final train, I can't see why else a model hasn't been scheduled for production. I mean just look at it!!

2 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hi folks - what do we think the reason is that neither Kato nor Tomix seem to be producing a model of the Alfa-X? Do you think licensing issues might be the problem? 

Given the popularity of Doctor Yellow models, and that we are a few years at least from this prototype being developed into the final train, I can't see why else a model hasn't been scheduled for production. I mean just look at it!!

Licensing cost, new molds, niche market, short lived train (not a permanent one)... need I go on? Dr Yellow is far more popular, is based on the 700 and has run for a much longer time. And not even all Dr. Yellow variants have been produced.