Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Thank you.

In addition, it seems to be possible to control the left and right red tail lights independently. The text of the tweet reads “Equipped with a decoder made by Eikyu System, it is possible to control tail lights and shunting indicator lights.” The first photo shows both headlights on, and the left tail light on. The second photo shows the left tail light on only. Any idea of the meaning? It seems to be used during shunting.

It shouldn't be a big problem to fit tail lights to most of the newer Kato locos because they all have the optical fibers for them (see here). They just need a light source.

Edited by roadstar_na6

One red tail light on the right hand side of vehicle indicates shunting. (Left looking at it in pics.)

Headlights on indicates forward direction of travel.

Tail lights on indicates the back of the consist.

Edited by katoftw

Thank you.

I will try to fit mine with four independent tail lights. it should be possible. I used a Digitrax DN163K0A decoder, which has six function outputs.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
20 hours ago, Yavianice said:

The TOMIX version also has tail lights. According to the TOMIX description, the Hiroshima livery EF210 is also used for extra push operations behind the train.

Here is a youtube video of such an operation (e.g. at 8:18)

The EF210-300'S have a number of modifications that includer hydraulic dampers fitted to the couplings for when they are on banking duties, the skirts on them are more substantial than those on the EF210-0's and EF210-100's and add an extra 400mm to the overall length of the locomotive.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:34 AM, Madsing said:

This DCC EF210 has working tail lights, and allows to selectively switch them on or off on either side.

Does anyone know the use?

What I found interesting about this is the decoder they are using -- one from a Japanese company and not a Digitrax of some sort.

56 minutes ago, chadbag said:

What I found interesting about this is the decoder they are using -- one from a Japanese company and not a Digitrax of some sort.

Might be a sign Kato will be pushing DCC other than the plug and play system...one can dream right? 🤣

Guy

• Like 3

There was a tweet today about a KATO EF64 with in-built DCC being available.  Same general price range as the EF210.

I wonder if this in-built stuff supports RailCom.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The long awaited return of the kato GS4 is near, however this is dependent on if they reach enough pre-orders, so if anyone else is interested get yours in!   This time they are offering the post war big letters scheme, which is something I have been wanting for a while now.

https://www.katousa.com/N/GS-4/index.html

It's a beauty, but I've had more trouble with my GS4 than almost any other loco I own. Not to mention the weird articulations on the triple and double Morning Daylight cars. I almost wish I never set eyes on them. 

Sorry to hear that, I've had good luck with mine, and I've had 4 of them at this point.  The biggest issue (other than the original run's problem with DCC) has been other people's who have had the drawbar get warped.  The dual drawbar is a interesting design but very vulnerable to damage.  When I have done sound installs in them I remove the upper drawbar and replace it with wires and I haven't had any issue since. 

27 minutes ago, Madsing said:

It seems that the decoder is made by 永末システム事務所

https://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/indexj.htm

I have used their decoders in the past for the Kato Toyama trams. 

Ok.  The translation of the tweet showed something else in English and I did not relate it o NGDCC. I have used several of their bi-polar function decoders without issue (but they don't seem to support Railcom, or didn't last time I looked).

TCS does and most of these KATO "normal" locomotives can be adapted to use the TCS equivalents of whatever Digitrax would be appropriate.

Thanks for looking that up.

1 hour ago, Kiha66 said:

Sorry to hear that, I've had good luck with mine, and I've had 4 of them at this point.  The biggest issue (other than the original run's problem with DCC) has been other people's who have had the drawbar get warped.  The dual drawbar is a interesting design but very vulnerable to damage.  When I have done sound installs in them I remove the upper drawbar and replace it with wires and I haven't had any issue since. 

Yes, I've had both problems, and an issue with it shorting kato decoders. Currently mine has an ESU sound decoder installed. But I have to buy a Lok programmer if I want to convert it from the stock diesel sound. (I didn't expect the installed sounds would be diesel - Oops!)

I'm sort of exaggerating. I never give up on a locomotive, no matter how many years it takes. When it all works out it's all the sweeter. 

You never had derailment issues with the triple daylight car?

• Like 2

I haven't had issues with either derailments or uncoupling, although I've heard of it from some other members of the local club.  I did have one car that would get caulght up when articulating, but iirc it turned out that I had put the center truck on backwards, which after flipping around gave no more trouble.  Bummer your set is still giving you issues, hope you can find a solution soon enough.

Also when ordering ESU decoders you usually can have the store install sound files for you, which has been a big help for me.  I also need to get one of those lokprogramers, but have been holding out.   For the GS4 I used ESU's actual GS4 sound project, which has current recordings from 4449 including the famous air horn.  I've also rewired the lighting to allow for more prototypical control and effects.

Martijn Meerts
9 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Yes, I've had both problems, and an issue with it shorting kato decoders. Currently mine has an ESU sound decoder installed. But I have to buy a Lok programmer if I want to convert it from the stock diesel sound. (I didn't expect the installed sounds would be diesel - Oops!)

I'm sort of exaggerating. I never give up on a locomotive, no matter how many years it takes. When it all works out it's all the sweeter. 

You never had derailment issues with the triple daylight car?

I have the first generation GS4 that had the cracking axles issue. Of course, my axles cracked as well, got replacement wheel sets, but some of those were bent, got another replacement set, and again, some of those were bent. I took the best of wheel sets of the 2 sets, and carefully bent another wheel set so it was almost straight. The loco runs well now, still wobbles a bit, but considering where it came from, I'm happy with it. I could've gotten a new one I guess, but they're not the cheapest of locomotives.

As for the coaches, I had issues with both the triple and double articulated ones. They'd derail mostly on S-curves, even very wide S-curves, as well as crossovers and such. What I found out, is that on the under side of the roofs of the articulated cars, there can be a little bit of plastic flash from the production process. It's really a tiny bit, but it's enough to cause binding between the roof and the gangway between the cars. Once I sanded them down, the cars no longer derail.I've had the full train run though my yard and helix without issue several times.

large.plastic_nub.jpg

You can see the little bit of flash in this picture, center of the roof, just before the red 'inner roof'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
On 1/28/2020 at 8:26 AM, Kamome said:

Yes I hope the SL Hitoyoshi and the Kyushu version of the 415 are being considered for this year (featured in last years catalogue)

Yes, I sure hope so as well. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I don't see why wouldn't they, as they now have new tooling for the 8620 (needing some modification for Kyushu type smoke deflectors) and they've licensed many other JR Kyushu locos and trains. Their JR Kyushu DE10 and 8620 have been flying off the shelves for a reason.

12670093330917.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SL58654Gō said:

Yes, I sure hope so as well. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I don't see why wouldn't they, as they now have new tooling for the 8620 (needing some modification for Kyushu type smoke deflectors) and they've licensed many other JR Kyushu locos and trains. Their JR Kyushu DE10 and 8620 have been flying off the shelves for a reason.

Welcome to the forum SL!

Kato has announced that a JR kyushu 415 will be produced, it should be released in the next month or two.  No mention of the Kyushu 8620, I was expecting it to be this year's January special set but it seems that Kato has other plans.  I'd bet money on it being announced sometime in 2021.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 4:33 AM, Kiha66 said:

Welcome to the forum SL!

Kato has announced that a JR kyushu 415 will be produced, it should be released in the next month or two.  No mention of the Kyushu 8620, I was expecting it to be this year's January special set but it seems that Kato has other plans.  I'd bet money on it being announced sometime in 2021.

Yes, yes. I highly anticipate that they won't overlook the popularity of what a set like that would have! I bet it might be sometime next year too. In case you're wondering, I'm from Kyushu and I've been on the real thing so many times.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 4:33 AM, Kiha66 said:

Welcome to the forum SL!

When they do release the SL Hitoyoshi in N gauge, I'll bet it'll look like this! Note the DE10 (7011-4). I've got two of those!

123042840_1245273459173452_2685980287904073544_o.jpg

• Like 2
On 11/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, SL58654Gō said:

If someone makes the SL Hitoyoshi, it will make me go back to japanese models inmediately! I loved when I was able to run that train in one of my trips to Japan, a wonderful experience!

• Like 1