Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

A lot of shops around Kyushu have stock of the Kyoto Hobby Center DE10 1195. 
7011-A. As it’s a Kyushu colour scheme most of the hobby shops have pretty large stock holding. My local independent has a stack of them. Nice to see some of the customised  products are becoming more readily available. 
https://www.katomodels-kyoto.com/de10-1195

• Like 1

@Kamome You mean KATO Kyoto shop models. That's quite interesting. I thought RG-R was an exception. It is nice to see indeed that more Kyoto models are now being shipped to 3rd parties. I hope that will in the end happen with all KATO Kyoto models, also at RG-R.

More from Kato.  Seems the HO backcatalog is getting a lot of reruns this year.  The 813 series is sure to be a hit as well. 

I missed out on the 12 series coaches, not sure if I'll pick up the 14 series or just try to find 12 series second hand.

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1

There also seem to be a different 3+3 special set that has the 813-300 series which is not included in the other 813-200 ~~ interesting.... 

Though i'm quite happy for my wallet now ~  🙂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

More from Kato.  Seems the HO backcatalog is getting a lot of reruns this year.  The 813 series is sure to be a hit as well. 

I missed out on the 12 series coaches, not sure if I'll pick up the 14 series or just try to find 12 series second hand.

Well I’ll be buying all the 813’s. My wallet is going to hate me... 😂

Guy

Those Oha 14 twin sets seem to be available in small numbers around but the Suhafu and Ohafu are difficult to find.

I would like a few more 813s. Nice they’re being added to the Best range so should be produced on a more regular basis. Will that also mean the base set will come in a cardboard sleeve and the add-on in a bookcase, hence the tiny price difference between motorised and non.

Would be nice if they added a few more Kyushu trains to the range but Micro and Green cater very well.

I'm debating whether to get the EF210-300 in JRF markings...need to see how well the Tomix one can double-head with my Kato EF210s. Also from the HS translation it's not too clear if these come with or without traction tires, I know that the Tomix one comes without them. 

My guess would be yes, seeing as its a new molding I would hope they would add DCC compatibility.  Although if a cab car is the motorized one then it probably is not, judging from past kato releses.  I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 1

Yes looks like just the updated shibata style couplers as well as the usual “Best”range trains coming in a hangable card sleeve rather than a bookcase box for the basic set. The 813-300 will have smoked window glass and a silver roof in the 6 car set. 

I doubt very much if the new release will be DCC friendly. I would suggest they have made some minor tweaks to some of the details but the first release of this was only in 2011 (10-813/814) and was a pretty good representation. Hopefully the couplers will be available to update the older model as the new ones without hook look way more prototypical. The coupled distance between cab cars is a little big with these couplers due to the short, ‘stowed’ representation of the diaphragm. would be good if they thought about replacements for coupled units.

I’m considering getting the 6 car as they’re usually in 6 or 9 car formations. 6 cars for local, 9 cars for rapids. The Fukuhokuyutaka line trains run in single sets and I missed out on these last time.

Most of the red 3 car sets I see on the Nippo line tend to be 813-1000s or 813-1100s with the higher cab roof and a single arm pantograph on the middle car. They were designed/converted for driver only operation.

• Like 2

The TOMIX version also has tail lights. According to the TOMIX description, the Hiroshima livery EF210 is also used for extra push operations behind the train.

Here is a youtube video of such an operation (e.g. at 8:18)

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1