Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202007311018115f23715369c80/2020-12b.pdf

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202007281855135f1ff601e9911/2020-12a.pdf

A few bits to get excited about. I am happy to finally be able to have a Yo5000 to throw behind my HO wagons.

That Kyushu 415 is a must for me. My local hobby shops have been talking about it since the Joban Line one was released.

I’m also taken with that Tobu 8000 as I used to live in Kanto, along the Tobu line.Ota.thumb.JPG.62762b16f4705f874121970e42761b61.JPG

Here's a 5000 series heading towards Ota in Gunma Prefecture.

One small hobby shop owner also talked about the possibility of another D51 run in HO sometime early next year. I hope he’s right.

Edited by Kamome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting!  I'm certainly glad now I didn't pick up a Joban 415 and pretend it was Kyushu, that'll be a nice addition to my collection.  Now we just need an JNR paint release too.

Don't get my hopes up of an HO D51 run, I want one so badly and they seem to not even be on buyee anymore.  I already waited too long on the HO C59 from Tramway and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up before they sold out everywhere.

Edited by Kiha66
4 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Don't get my hopes up of an HO D51 run, I want one so badly and they seem to not even be on buyee anymore.

There's actually 2 in my larger local branch of Book Off. One with DCC and one without. They want around 30,000 yen for them, possibly a bit more for the DCC one. I've considered it  but they also have some Tenshodo Kyushu 9600s for a similar price which I think would be nicer models. Tenshodo 51020-51023 from about 2008. I've always liked the ones with the Kadetsu deflectors like Model 51022.

The stock has been there a while so I am glad no one else has decided on them. The n gauge stock seems to turn over reasonably quickly.

I've not asked to look at them as I've never been serious about purchasing it as yet so not sure what state they'd be in.

I do hope they do another run. The way the Kato HO stock disappears (due to quality and price point) they really should produce the stuff more regularly.

• Like 1

Nice to be able to shop locally, although that sounds dangerously tempting!  If I came across a Tenshodo 51020 for 30,000 yen I'm not sure I could contain myself.  😁

Finally, the Hokutosei DD51 get new numbers (1137, 1138, 1140 & 1142) and a second power unit without traction-tyres for double headed trains (Kato Hobby Center!)

Interestingly, Kato are releasing the 415 100 basic and add on set to form an 8 car twin set. The picture used has it coupled to a 415-1500 which look more like the 211 series. I wonder if this is a hint of another upcoming release.

Edited by Kamome

I am kind of expecting another run of Hokutosei DD51s in HO too. They've released the EF81 and re-released the coaches, and it has been some time since the DD51 was available.

The 415s got me interested too... Does anyone know if the 415s are still running now in Kyushu? Cant seem to find more recent videos of them... 

According to Japanese wikipedia (which is usually pretty good about these things).

"As of April 1st, 2020 (2nd year of Reiwa), there are 12 1500-series 48 cars in Minami-Fukuoka vehicle ward, 19 100s-200s, 2 1500s, 2 500s-600s 1 in Oita Vehicle Center. this 88 both, placing the six 24-car 500 - 600s Kagoshima vehicle center [34] .

Cars belonging to the Kagoshima Rolling Stock Center cannot run in the Kanmon tunnel because the AC/DC switch is fixed on the AC side"

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/国鉄415系電車#JR九州

• Thanks 1

It’s unclear whether the new release will be  a DCC friendly model or a rehash of the older model with updated LED head/taillight. My older version head and taillights blink a lot when the thing runs on very clean track. Here’s the bullet points translated. Looks like the side details are now printed which were once stickers. The only other addition seems to be the “Arigato” final run detail stickers. 

Modeled the specifications of the 700 series C8 train belonging to JR EastSea into a prototype.
●The formation number on the front glass is newly printed and reproduced.Car body number, 700 series logo mark,
●Beautiful printing of body markings such as non-smoking car markings.
● A fully reproduced body shape characterized by aerostream head and square cross section.
● A beautiful reproduction of the refreshing color of the body with blue lines on the white body.
● Accurately reproduces the shape of the roof, including the vehicle end insulator for extra high pressure.
● Headlight/taillight is on. (The headlight uses light bulb color LED.)
● Adopted a power unit that has a reputation for stable driving.
●The intermediate connection is equipped with a KATO diaphragm coupler standard.
●In addition to the side display of each nickname, reserved seat/free seat display, the AMBITIOUS JAPAN! logo and the "thank you" decorative logo are included on the attached sticker.
●In addition to Nozomi, Hikari and Kodama, which are not included in existing products, groups and school trips are also included on the side display.

19 minutes ago, Kamome said:

It’s unclear whether the new release will be  a DCC friendly model or a rehash of the older model with updated LED head/taillight. My older version head and taillights blink a lot when the thing runs on very clean track. Here’s the bullet points translated. Looks like the side details are now printed which were once stickers. The only other addition seems to be the “Arigato” final run detail stickers. 

Modeled the specifications of the 700 series C8 train belonging to JR EastSea into a prototype.
●The formation number on the front glass is newly printed and reproduced.Car body number, 700 series logo mark,
●Beautiful printing of body markings such as non-smoking car markings.
● A fully reproduced body shape characterized by aerostream head and square cross section.
● A beautiful reproduction of the refreshing color of the body with blue lines on the white body.
● Accurately reproduces the shape of the roof, including the vehicle end insulator for extra high pressure.
● Headlight/taillight is on. (The headlight uses light bulb color LED.)
● Adopted a power unit that has a reputation for stable driving.
●The intermediate connection is equipped with a KATO diaphragm coupler standard.
●In addition to the side display of each nickname, reserved seat/free seat display, the AMBITIOUS JAPAN! logo and the "thank you" decorative logo are included on the attached sticker.
●In addition to Nozomi, Hikari and Kodama, which are not included in existing products, groups and school trips are also included on the side display.

Hmmm interesting. I’m trying not to buy everything I love the look of, but I have a 16 car 500 series by Kato which would look amazing with a 16 car 700 series running alongside.

While they are not DCC ready, they are actually fairly easy to install a wired decoder inside.  If you can install a decoder in a kato F unit you can do a kato shinkansen motor car.  The cab cars are trickier to do but also are not too difficult to install.  If you don't feel comfortable doing such an instillation either your local shop or many DCC installation places should be able to do it for you.  I've done quite a few sets for people on the forum in the past and the hardest part is usually hiding the decoder inside the train. 

• Like 3
On 8/1/2020 at 3:18 PM, JR 500系 said:

The 415s got me interested too... Does anyone know if the 415s are still running now in Kyushu? Cant seem to find more recent videos of them... 

Yes, they’re still running. They are generally used for the local services on the Kagoshima and Nippo Line around Kokura. The Nippo Line trains run between Yukuhashi and Shimonoseki and the Kagoshima line trains run between Kokura and Orio. They are sometimes used on longer routes, weekends etc, usually coupled with a  415-1500 between Mojiko and somewhere south of Hakata like Futsukaichi. I’ve only seem them in single sets but perhaps further south between Oita, Miyazaki and Kagoshima you can see  2x 415-100s together.

They have an unusual door mechanism whereby the door opens 3/4s of the way and pauses before opening the rest of the way. Many times have I clipped my shoulders on these doors. They have the bench seating along the whole carriage unlike the 813s. They often make a loud clicking noise (possibly the auto drain valve) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 7/31/2020 at 3:38 PM, Kiha66 said:

Don't get my hopes up of an HO D51 run, I want one so badly and they seem to not even be on buyee anymore.  I already waited too long on the HO C59 from Tramway and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up before they sold out everywhere.

I still see second-hand/pre-owned D51s from time to time on JAUCE. There's two on there now. That's where I got most of mine. 

https://www.jauce.com/search/Kato+1-202

But if Kato were to produce another run, I'd like to get at least another two. Fingers crossed! 

As for the Tramway C59s, if you get one you won't be disappointed. My pair are sweet runners and very nicely finished. They're also very simple to fit decoders to, there's an 8-pin receptacle in the tender.

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/31/2020 at 4:00 PM, Kamome said:

they also have some Tenshodo Kyushu 9600s for a similar price which I think would be nicer models.

The Tenshodo 9600s are very nice models, I've got a pair that I'm very happy with. But why not get one of each? Even on DC the 9600s doublehead happily with the Kato D51s, if that appeals to you.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Kato just dropped this news off and needless to say i am VERY hyped!!!

Surprised Tomix haven’t announced the E261 as they’ve done a pura-rail version already. These both look very nice. Certainly some nice modern dancing girl additions for 2021. 

Edited by Kamome
6 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Kato just dropped this news off and needless to say i am VERY hyped!!!

Wow! the exact two trains I need to finish my line up. I'm happy, my wallet not so much.

• Haha 1

Why the same month!?  My poor bank account!

OH, just same season.  Maybe a little better, very excited.

Edited by EdF
  • Haha 1