Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Kato did do the Chuo like 130th anniversary train, I take it that must have sold well enough to justify some more exclusive releases. 

Was there any significant difference of this special set from the usual E231-500 Yamanote line sets, apart from the different car numbers and a headmark? 

On 1/4/2020 at 6:19 AM, gavino200 said:

Also a couple of notable features in the "column" sections

E956 ALFA-X

New red mananouchi subway

Tokyo metro 1000 series

Tokyo metro 50050

Hitachi class 800 GWR and LNER trains

Thanks for sharing this. What does the 'column' section mean? Does it mean they are going to bring out a model but haven't got a release date yet?

I'm definitely getting the ALFA-X if they release a model of it...

Best,

David

5 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Thanks for sharing this. What does the 'column' section mean? Does it mean they are going to bring out a model but haven't got a release date yet?

I'm definitely getting the ALFA-X if they release a model of it...

Best,

David

It doesn't really mean a whole lot. But in the past some of the trains featured in the "column" section have been announced as upcoming models the following year. For example the Shikishima was feature in a column the year before it was announced as a project. But it's mainly just speculation. 

HO gauge EF81 is officially released today. Hoping to get my Ami Ami notification soon. Interestingly the promotional image shows the general rose coloured model with some JNR 24 series coaches, most of which have been out of stock in all stockists (including Kato directly) for some time. The only exceptions being the KANI 24-0 and the OHANEFU 25-0 which Kato and Tam Tam still carry.

Fingers crossed a JNR production run is imminent after the Hokutosei coaches.

Yeah and  the official poster: 

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/202001291615085e3130fc68ed1/2020_6a.pdf

I am very excited with the E233-7000 Saikyo line... Yes it is just 'another' E233, but the Kato E233-7000 Saikyo line has been out of stock for sometime and is pretty expensive on the 2nd hand market, so having this release makes me happy!

The 381 series Super Kuroshio is like the Yakumo repainted in green so I guess i'm gonna pass on that ~ 

And of course the return of the Hino Poncho buses in different liveries excite the bus lover like me!  🙂

Yes!!

I can finally get another HO Kiha 80 motor unit for my formations and I’ve been after that Akebono and EF64 for a long time. For those without who model JNR, my Aodaisho  is a real head turner so another opportunity to grab one. I seem to remember they too disappeared quickly last time.

Martijn Meerts

Hmm, that EF58 with the green cars is definitely interesting. As is the freight car set.. And of course, I could use the extension to the overhead station (at least, I don't think I ever bought the extension ....)

Might actually have to order some N-scale stuff again. I'd better hurry and get a loop set up though so I can run the things 😄

Nice that they are re-releasing the overhead station also, this time made from a different material to avoid light bleeding through. But KATO at the Nuremberg fair told me just now that it won’t have out of the box capability for light installation, which is a missed opportunity in my opinion.

• Like 1

I have a couple of the small green overhead but not this regular one, so I am glad they are re-releasing.  I'll have to see about an exemption to the moratorium 🙂

Last I looked on the aftermarket, a while ago, this one was very expensive.

Wonder if they'll re-do the packaging on the station to make it less...gigantic. Anyway looks like mine will be getting an upgrade, to be honest always like this one better. Except now I need new platforms...

>Also, the package size is smaller than existing products.

Well looks like my wish was granted.

Edited by nah00

I'm not usually keen on modern liveries, but I rather like the 381s in that scheme!

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 1

I just found out about the DD54 diesel engine and saw that Kato is releasing one in march. Since I‘m on a smaller budget atm I cannot afford to get the corresponding Blue Train, as well but I have some Series 14 passenger cars that usually run with my EF65-1000. So my question would be if I could run those between the DD54 as well in terms of being something that was possible irl.

Also if anyone knows where I can get the best deal incl. shipping for that engine I‘d be happy for a message 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Edited by roadstar_na6
16 minutes ago, roadstar_na6 said:

I just found out about the DD54 diesel engine and saw that Kato is releasing one in march. Since I‘m on a smaller budget atm I cannot afford to get the corresponding Blue Train, as well but I have some Series 14 passenger cars that usually run with my EF65-1000. So my question would be if I could run those between the DD54 as well in terms of being something that was possible irl.

A quick scan of the internet doesn't bring up any indication this combination ever occurred, but if you search long enough something will usually come up.

(Anyway I saw on this very forum recently pictures of someone running a brown ED61 with 50 series coaches, it's not like there's a law against unreal combinations 😉 )

• Thanks 1

There were a number of variations to the DD54. The early versions had headlights on the roof and then mid versions had them below the cab.  The upcoming re-release is for the DD54 blue train variant which was a later design with slightly different window arrangement. This pulled the Izumo blue train (20 series coaches) The early and mid locos were used for mixed traffic so some 12 series coaches or older Oha 35s. 
0D0DB798-7499-4CA8-9D74-A113F22732A9.thumb.jpeg.c174cd7141bcd366e048df64d0fb1c9b.jpegFB2BD35C-0A7E-4918-8DF4-B6A084000F4B.thumb.jpeg.a4f8758094ba60ca19122e3410c8b5c8.jpeg

There’s a photo of a mid version pulling some 12 series coaches here.
http://kumanotaira-mura.travel.coocan.jp/tetsudou-sanin.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Fenway Park

Kato are issuing the 8620 in August!! 

It will be in Tohoku specification plus a Hanawa Line freight set with two different types of chimney, an additional headlight and one new number set.

Great news, have ordered the loco all ready. 

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1