Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Another thought, do Kato usually rerun spares at the same time as they rerun a model? I missed my chance to build a silver "Glacier on Tour" Ge 4/4 III last time. Don't really want the whole set as the coaches would be duplicate numbers of the ones I already have. Also thinking it could make a fun YouTube video of opening the packets and building a loco.

8 hours ago, Kamome said:

Happy about the JRF DE10 as my Tomix one has horrible silver wheels and has never been a great runner.

I was happy about this one too because I have the same problem with mine. It runs fine short-hood forward but if I go the opposite direction it stutters and stops every so often. Checked for broken gear teeth but nothing. 

I didn’t pick up on the operative tail lights and shunting lights on the HO EF81. 

That’s even better news. I’ve preordered the regular colour and upgrade parts set but I’m tempted by the Hokutosei version now too.

Thanks Kato, I didn't my money anyway....at least I don't have to figure out how to fit Tomix track in container yards now. Though this looks like it uses Unitram spacing instead of standard spacing for Kato track which would require more reworking than might be worthwhile. 

Also knew it was worth it to wait on the JP-8 labelled Taki-1000s, glad to see Kato released a set of 12 that I don't have to renumber. 

Edited by nah00
  • Like 2

Looks like each plate is 186mm, not very ttrak friendly.  I do look forward to the takis.

And is that a auto carrier loader?  That will be popular in the US.

It is but I don't know if it will look right with US autoracks. It seems too short and not long enough for triple deckers. Though if you just have it as a scenic piece it wouldn't bee too bad. I'm torn on whether I want to get the set or not, it would certainly improve the look of my one yard but it would involve ripping up track and some scenery. Being able to fit 2 10 car trains in the yard would be nice though and simplify a complex plan I liked at first but now is just pain...

Edited by nah00

Interesting on the container yard. Not cheap, but easy.

making track level surface is pretty easy with Unitrak. Jus put down a layer of standard 3/16” / 5mm foam core up against the edge of the roadbed as a base. Then top with 040 styrene or photo board (it’s a 1mm very dense chipboard used to mount photos to, very stiff and hard stuff) up to the side of the rail. The topping piece rests in top of the outer spikes and is just below the rail heads. between the rails just use a strip of 1/4” x 080 styrene. Again just below the rail heads and rests just inside the spikes with enough room for a good flangeway. Uber simple on straights, much harder on curves...

jeff

The one nice thing about the container yard set is if you do put markings on it and you decide to change up your layout you can salvage them whereas foam board and styrene can't always be recovered and reused. 

Is it possible to get Unitram spacing using a #6 or #4 switch? Trying to think of how to use this without having to use the adapter piece. 

yes but easy and inexpensive to redo. some pin tape and you have markings quickly

we did one on our first JRM layout that used a piece of 3/16' plex (stays flat and has some weight) instead of the foam core and in 2 pieces and we just plunked it down as we built that layout each time on the fly.

you can use a #4 point and a 249-15 to bring it to damn close to 25mm spacing. you would need to hack up some of the roadbed for the Y.

jeff

Does anyone else suspect that the container yard product isn't actually complete. All the photos have the uni tram track centers hidden, what about the usual catenary pole holes? Also, doesn't the usual unitram tack finish look a bit overdone for a freight yard? The yard plate plain grey shiny material also doesn't seem very realistic? I really like the concept but for the price, the finer details should probably be more container yard like and specific. Does Kato usually make changes before a release but show images like they have?

Just looks cheap and poorly designed. It is half done with so many ommissions from real life. I know in modelling you have to compermize. But look like almost zero effort went into the design.

Kato will often share pics of unfinished and prototype models, this could very well be one of those times.  I wouldn't be so quick to judge till the production images come out.

Months in advance though. Not 4 weeks in advance for developement photos. But I guess comments can be made in November as to the look of these freight yards sets.

I agree, I’d imagine they will use available tooling to manufacture this but will change the pattern on the Unitram plates to closer resemble a container yard.

Remember also that the majority of Kato product is designed with non-permanent set up in mind so this may not look as good as something fashioned on a layout. You will still have join lines between plates and perhaps a plasticky finish designed to endure a lot of set up and break down.

Nice idea though and the car loading ramps look nice.

Das Steinkopf

I'm not a big fan of the freight yard modules either as Kato has taken a real lazy approach with them, I don't like the idea of using Unitram straights as you have to use the transition tracks that goes from 33mm to 25mm track centres. This spoils the run of the tracks leading into the yard as you are not getting a straight run into the sidings that you normally would with points laid in a convential manner, it could lead to derailments with long trains reversing into the sidings.Also I have to agree with Ryan in that there is a lot of details missing such as catenary masts, light towers, buffer stops and a whole host of other items that you would typically find in container yards. The car loading ramp is a nice addition for some people but is totally out of era for anyone modelling from 1996 onwards as all KU 5000's were removed from service that year.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
Das Steinkopf
1 hour ago, EdF said:

Aren't a lot/most container yards in Japan not under cantenery?   

If you go to Hokkaido yes, the rest of the country is a mixed bag but the vast bulk have at least a few sidings that are under the wire where electric locomotives pull them into the yard, 

I was disappointed not to see the grid of  white lines marking out the areas where containers should sit in storage. From my limited experience building a container yard (two times, but both small), that was one of the more difficult aspects to implement  - so that’s a big missed opportunity as far as I’m concerned. 

And that chicane from 33mm to 25mm is unsightly and unnecessary in my opinion. 

The vehicle stuff has no appeal to me... so all in all, I think that there’s a gap in the market for someone to sell properly marked deck plates (and spacers to go between the tracks). That would be simpler (and therefore cheaper) while adding more value. 

Edited by Sheffie