Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

3 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Only new info is the price. Release date still missing.

The month is given as November.  Kato doesn't give a specific release day for their models till much closer to the actual release.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, VJM said:

There we go.  Full price is JPY36,000, without lights.

Hobbysearch: TOMIX 40800 yen, KATO 30600 yen, 10200 yen difference, KATO lights 3600 yen, *2, /12, *10, = 6000 yen, real difference 4200 yen.

AmiAmi: TOMIX 36200 yen, KATO 27580 yen, 8620 yen difference, KATO lights 2740 yen, *2, /12, *10, = 4567 yen, real difference 4053 yen.

So you are paying 4200 / 4053 yen extra for having the electric coupler, fancy engine, and not having to open the train to install the lights and (presumably) less flickering due to loose contacts, when purchasing the TOMIX version.

Edited by Yavianice
rephrased the last sentence for clarity.
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Hobbysearch: TOMIX 40800 yen, KATO 30600 yen, 10200 yen difference, KATO lights 3600 yen, *2, /12, *10, = 6000 yen, real difference 4200 yen.

AmiAmi: TOMIX 36200 yen, KATO 27580 yen, 8620 yen difference, KATO lights 2740 yen, *2, /12, *10, = 4567 yen, real difference 4053 yen.

So you are paying 4200 / 4053 yen extra for having the electric coupler, fancy engine, and not having to open the train to install the lights and (presumably) less flickering due to loose contacts, when purchasing the TOMIX version.

The other difference is the DCC easy of installation on the Kato.  And the electro coupler is not always a positive if you have auto-reversing blocks.

What makes the Tomix engine 'fancy'?

Edited by EdF
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, EdF said:

What makes the Tomix engine 'fancy'?

That's the big question. TOMIX says it's all new and somehow special for slow running. I don't have any further details as I do not own the TOMIX Shiki-Shima which also has this fancy engine.

P.S. Oh yes I forgot DCC compatibility.

So the KATO 10-1570 Twighlight Express Mizukaze is showing up for pre-order now (MTP+, Amazon JP, HS, AmiAmi, etc).

• Like 1

MTP and AmiAmi I thought were very quick to list these when I first noticed them last week. Normally they are 3-5 days slower than HS.  I guess every seller didn't wanna be left behind.

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 1

Aren't we a bit overdue for a JR Hokkaido DD51 (7008-2) rerelease?

I'm looking for some replacement parts but they seem to be out of stock until the loco itself is re-run (already checked with a supplier who has ordered Kato parts for me in the past, no luck this time). 

12 minutes ago, 1954G said:

Aren't we a bit overdue for a JR Hokkaido DD51 (7008-2) rerelease?

I'm looking for some replacement parts but they seem to be out of stock until the loco itself is re-run (already checked with a supplier who has ordered Kato parts for me in the past, no luck this time). 

I suspect we wont get another one until kato goes through a JNR hokkaido phase, they seem to like to release models when they have a few to do at once.  What part were you looking for?  It may be common with other dd51 models and available if you look under a different part name.

Thanks for the reply. For bogies or the motor I bet I could use equivalent parts from any recent Kato dd51, but unfortunately what's missing seems to be cosmetic parts that are specific to the 7008-2. In particular the snowplow and white/blue "railing" (not sure what it's called). 

Anyway, I'll just check the Kato site each month and as soon as this model gets re-run, I'll pre-order the parts ASAP. Thanks. 

dd51_hokkaido.jpg

• Like 1

That part with the handrail and plow is also used in the more recent DD51s it seems, but with red on the railings in place of blue.  You may be able to find one and touch up the paint.  Its also worth watching buyee, as sometimes parts come up for sale secondhand that are long out of production.

I couldn't find the handrails available at the moment, but I found the other parts.

Coupler and plow assembly
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/j569486453?conversionType=search_suggest
Grey front plate
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x624641636?conversionType=search_suggest

• Like 1

701 series! What a better timing than with the recent released of the E721 to couple together! Nice ~ 

That E233 series limited edition is nice too, in direct competition with Tomix ~

Yeah that 787 looks nice.  And the Eiden 900.

I keep repeating.  No new trains allowed.  No new trains allowed.   No new trains allowed...

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I keep repeating.  No new trains allowed.  No new trains allowed.   No new trains allowed...

Yeah good luck with that!

jeff

I've been doing pretty good.  The ICE4 was pre-ordered way before this new edict and the only thing I have ordered since the edit was a pre-order for the Twighlight Express Mizukaze on an exception basis.  I will pick up a 10-1122 in Japan when we are there to complete my JR321 as it is being re-released this month IIRC.  But I am holding tight.  I am actually playing builder/gen contractor on our new house we are building next year and am working out budgets and costs and stuff and that is a great incentive to stick to the edict.  Something I should have been thinking about last summer when the post man, DHL, and UPS were regular visitors here.

Edited by chadbag
  • Like 1