My Second Tramway

keiman

As I am nearing completion of my other tram layout , the next one is all ready in the planning stages. :cool:

This one will be long and narrow with a tram barn and slightly more rural.Storage for 3 trams - need to workout DCC wiring and fitting decoders. :sad:

Looking at 240mm x 1700mm.  Using up the rest of my Tomix Track but could need loads more tram packs, unless I bite the bullet and get some of the wide tram track but it will make the layout wider.

f12b7104.jpg

299bd49c.jpg

e7486722.jpg

• Like 2

This will be an interesting build.More illumination,single paved road and the rest of the track with normal trackbed between walls in the builtup area. 

Have decided sidings will probably be Peco Flex track,this is to allow alternate spacing in the tramshed.

Started purchasing the build materials for this one.

5mm precoloured (Grey one side/Black the other) Foamboard from the local craft store.

Woodland Scenics Desert Sand ready grass sheet.

Stocked up on PVA,polystyrene and contact adhesives.

Still in stock around 50 street lights, 5 cars with working headlights, Trees, Rolls of stranded copper wire, 22SWG tinned copper wire, Tomix road vehicles, couple of boxes of Tomytec Cantenary poles.

Need more tramway paving packs, people, LEDs or Grain of wheat bulbs for building internal illumination.

Started painting my Greenmax 804 railway facility prior to building it.

342a9ebf.jpg

Lean to/side building will be lit, outside light above main tram entrance, internal lighting in main shed.

Main track will definately be Tomix with the two tracks into the barn being Peco.

Any tips on painting Greenmax kits? From what I've gathered so far you A) wash them thoroughly and B) paint what you can while on the sprue. What I can't get consensus on is whether to prime for acrylics, and utility of brushing vs spray/airbrush.

Kumo, All my trams will run on 103mm curves. Kato Pocketline, Tomytec Portram

rankodd , I paint what I can on the sprue as the picture shows, using Humbrol  Acrylics and did not prime first.  The plastic was not washed before painting.  I only use brushes.

Steady hand and good fine brushes for detailing, cheaper brushes for the larger areas.

rankodd , I paint what I can on the sprue as the picture shows, using Humbrol  Acrylics and did not prime first.  The plastic was not washed before painting.   I only use brushes.

Steady hand and good fine brushes for detailing, cheaper brushes for the larger areas.

Ah, good news, then. Any problems with the durability of the finish?

Ah, good news, then. Any problems with the durability of the finish?

None as yet, When I was making brass models in Z gauge , about 6 years ago I painted them with acrylics and provided they are handled sensibly have lasted well.

Thought I had a length of Peco Flextrack left but can't find it  ???

Need to wait till payday again before I can make the baseboards up.

Have decided I am going to make it in 2 sections with a 3rd one to fit in the middle if I want to.

Spent evening building Tram shed.

Currently waiting for glue to harden off so I can finish routing the wires for the lights down the interior out of the way.

28556814.jpg

d5d3aed5.jpg

This layout I hope will eclipse Keitown.  :cool:

• Like 1

I wasn't sure when I first saw it but after reading the link now I know.....mini florescent lights! Are there replacement bulbs if they go out or do you have to replace the whole unit?

It says "simulated".  At a guess, it's a LED on the end of a plastic rod that acts to diffuse the light (much the way Kato's interior train lights use an acrylic strip to do the same).

Good site, lots of interesting lights there.

Actually its 2 LEDs, one each end of a U shaped plastic channel with copper tape running from one end to the other for the electrical connection to the LED at the far end to the wires.

There is NO diffuser in the unit as such.

Very neatly done and puts out a good light.

A little bit of progress,this weekend I have started cutting the foamboard to bring the ground level up to track top.

I am doing the same idea as I did on the first layout.

Track laid on top of foamboard, draw round the track at the edge of the base and then freehand cutout the area where the track goes.

2f6844a9.jpg

af7f6137.jpg

af748f7e.jpg

I shall be commiting myself to my most hated task on this one. Because this layout will have less street running and some track running between walls/fences, the gaps between track and ground level will have real granite ballast, and some scatter -weeds.:sad:

The roadway section will not be using the tramway side pieces- will just use the track centre inserts- to enable a better choice of road width, with the same filler as i used on the first layout to bring the road to the edge of the rails.

• Like 2

update.

Been painting greenmax cantenary poles today, and looking through my boxes of goodies,

Assmbled the Tomix Motorbike and Cycle packs, found 3 packs of Sankei Bicycles and 2 packs of Rickshaws to make up.

Just got to find suitable people to pull the rickshaws. :laugh:

Timber bought tonight for Base boards.

2 current boards as originally planned plus enough to build 2 more modules 850mm x 250mm.

Ordered some willow trees and ordered the yard lights.

Just got to make the frames for the new modules now. Can Get 6 from the sheets.  4 off 850x250 and 2 off 600x250.

One small module reserved for the Project Party. :cheesy

Looks like I definately will need to order some more Tomix track after Golden week. :sad:

Right guys, no photos but am keeping peeps updated.

Track ready to secure to baseboards - Excluding shorter module(not enough track).

Wire droppers soldered to track and fed through board.on 1st two main boards- these will be the end modules.

Copper tape (for the DCC bus under the boards) should arrive in the next couple of days-Fingers crossed.

I can't wait to see the photos of the new layout, it seems to be moving along at a quick pace!