Anyone been to Argentina, Peru and Bolivia?

to2leo

Hi everyone,

This is very off topic but given the international mix of this forum, I am wondering has anyone gone on vacation to Argentina, Peru or Bolivia?  My friends and I will be there for about a month from April to May.

Specifically, is there any train ride, hobby shops that you would recommend?

Given there is a Japanese diaspora in S. America, is there a n-gauge presence?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

I'm aware of a bit about Argentina.  There is a subway in Buenos Aires at least one line has some ex-Tokyo rolling stock if I recall correctly.  There are some Portugese EMUs that have been sold to Argentina. There also is a small tram museum based at one of the subway depots in Buenos Aires.  Subway trains come up an incline and travel along city streets to the depot.

Some info on a 2008 rail oriented tour:

http://www.lcgb.org.uk/html/tours/argentinaf2008.htm

So far I can't find the links I want...

[Edit]

As for train shops, try translating model trains or scale model train into Spanish and Google the new words. Or it might be Portuguese. Brazil uses Portuguese.

Nick_Burman

Concerning Argentina - try the "Trochita" 30" gauge line in Patagonia, from Ingeniero Jacobacci to Esquel. These days the line is split into two (provincial) administrations which means that trains run shorter distances from Esquel and El Maiten (midway point on the line) but rarely go through. Steam, with Baldwin and Henschel 2-8-2s.

Alternatively you can catch one of the several long-distance runs out of Buenos Aires to the provinces - the most regular are to Bahia Blanca and Mar del Plata, others run more infrequently. Expect to rough it, though...

Worth visiting in the Bs.As. area is the Remedios de Escalada restoration base of the Ferroclub Argentino. They have some nice stuff tucked away, waiting for the day when Peron will return and pay for its restoration... :grin

Buenos Aires has a subway system which is interesting, one line uses wooden Belgian-built (Brugeoise & Nivelles) stock from the 1920's and there are subway cars secondhand from Tokyo (ex-Marunouchi line, if I remember well) and Nagoya too.

Hobby shops...not worth visiting, prices are stiff compared to the US or Europe. Unless you want samples of their MDF HO scale Argentine prototype car kits (two or three backyard firms make them) or Frateschi stuff painted in Argentine colours...

The Japanese diaspora went almost entirely in Brazil and out of it there are very few model railroaders; most of them are in HO scale. There is little connection between the diaspora and their descendents...one of the greatest tragedies in the Brazilian Japanese community is the fact that during WWII the speaking of Japanese in public was forbidden. The ban was lifted after the war but the damage was already done, today most third- and fourth-generation Japanese descendents are unable to speak a word of the language. This means that many children are unable to talk to their grandparents, who in many cases never learnt Portuguese...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

One train that I will definitely take so far is the Sacred Valley to Machu Picchu line.

We are spending 5 days in BsAs so I will definitely try taking the subway tour and the suburban train tour too.

Thanks Nick for your insights into the Japanese diaspora.  I wonder if there is a cultural program for Oversea Japanese to visit their ancestral country?

Thanks Bill for your links, I just added to my travel bookmarks.

Wow exciting tour for sure Westfalen!

BTW, does the price include flights?

Unfortunately not but I figure it'll be a once in a lifetime trip and the two tours I've been on with them before have been well run.

Another source, its mainly tram history, but there is information on preserved tram lines.

There's some truly fascinating material on this site Bill, thanks so much for posting it. Gotta love the Haitian enclosed Porter!

Cheers,

Mark.

Concerning Argentina - try the "Trochita" 30" gauge line in Patagonia, from Ingeniero Jacobacci to Esquel...Steam, with Baldwin and Henschel 2-8-2s.

Nick, are any of the Henschels currently running? I get the impression that they are all out of service, which I hope is not the case.

Cheers,

Mark.

...I am wondering has anyone gone on vacation to Argentina, Peru or Bolivia?

I've been to all these places, but it was 25 years ago, so I imagine much has changed since then. As others have mentioned, the Esquel branch - La Trochita - is well worth visiting.

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman
Concerning Argentina - try the "Trochita" 30" gauge line in Patagonia, from Ingeniero Jacobacci to Esquel...Steam, with Baldwin and Henschel 2-8-2s.

Nick, are any of the Henschels currently running? I get the impression that they are all out of service, which I hope is not the case.

Cheers,

Mark.

One is supposed to be in the works for overhaul. The others are scattered around in various states of disrepair.

Cheers NB

Pity - even though I'm a diehard Baldwin fan, I rather prefer the Henschels. If I ever have a big lottery win, I'd buy two!

Cheers,

Mark.

Cheers,

Mark.

I let you know in November.