First Names

Hobby Dreamer

A lot of us have user names and that makes sense, but I was wondering if we could sign our messages with our first names to better get to know each other?

It just seems more personal and easier to remember...

What do you think?

Rick

Well, in my case I think it's redundant.  :grin

But it's not a bad idea. I know I've called a few people by the wrong name.

On the other hand, if someone wants to be known by their nickname (and is willing to live with whatever people abbreviate it to) I don't see anything wrong with that.

Perhaps people who want to be addressed by their first name or a specific short-form of their nickname could put that in their signature in a specifc form?

I don't sign my messages as I have a nickname.

On the contrary, I find a lot easier if we stick to our username (if it's your own name it's fine then).

I dont find names easier to remember on a forum.

If I read a message saying "Go see Mike's pictures" without a link or anything, I'm pretty much fucked... If I'm told to go see "SuperDensha"s layout, at least I can search this name on the forum.

It's either you have a nickname and you use it, or you use your real name. Otherwise it's no use having a nickname, it's just confusing for newbies and people coming to the forum not often.

This is only my own opinion.

On the other hand, if someone wants to be known by their nickname (and is willing to live with whatever people abbreviate it to) I don't see anything wrong with that.

Not sure anyone should (or would want to) abbreviate 神谷町 and address me as 神様.  :grin

My nickname is partially part of my first name (Toni), so I couldn't care less. :grin

If people just refer to the nicknames all is fine, right? If not, change your nickname to your real name.

CaptOblivious

Hi, I'm Don. I answer to either my nickname or my real name, but I try very hard to stick to nicknames here to avoid confusion (including my own!)

CaptOblivious

Ok

---

Renaldo, announce the Rrrrrr, makes it sound more sexy.

Or like a pirate ;)

But you can call me Edwardo!

A lot of us have user names and that makes sense, but I was wondering if we could sign our messages with our first names...

I always have.  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.