Q re: iPad 2

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Guys, a bit off topic but many of you may already have an iPad or Apple product.

I'm thinking about getting an iPad mostly for the reasons below. I've read the reviews, shortcomings and comparison to other products but the iPad seems to do a lot in a very small size, yet large enough to read! I don't see carrying this around all the time but may get the 3G version because I may use it for traveling (directions, GPS etc) on rare occasion.

Main Planned Uses:

1) guitar lessons:

- ability to view YouTube lessons with the iPad on the music stand

- ability to store/view music (can the iPad handle PDFs?)

- some of the music apps such as metronome or GarageBand (that lets one record/mix) as well as emulate instruments and even a guitar amp! http://www.apple.com/ca/ipad/from-the-app-store/garageband.html

2) Maps/GPS

OK my eyes are going so I thought that the iPad could help as a map as one can zoom in as needed or even get directions from Google Maps etc. Its not as good as the latest offerings from Garmin but a lot better than a paper map!

3) Books/Journals/Magazines

- might be handy as you can access a lot without carrying a lot

4) Notes/Reminders

5) Budgeting etc

6) Save photos

7) Store music

8) Movies (that one can rent to project on HDTV)

Common Uses I won't do:

- email/general browsing

- photos with the iPad

Although one might do these things occasionally, I don't see taking an iPad with me where I go etc and have a PC at home for this. I'm not the kind to want to impress and would worry about having it stolen etc.

Questions:

1) How does one obtain or locate apps? I know there are thousands out there but do you log onto the Apple store or what? (Sorry I'm an Apple newbie).

2) Do I need a Wi-Fi router or can I just plug the iPad into the PC?

3) Except for email, do I need an internet account should I ever use a Wi-Fi hot-spot. I guess I don't understand who pays for the bandwidth, because with my limited understanding these hot-spots seem like a good deal!

4) I'm unclear about whether there is a USB port but can this be used for flash drives etc?

5) Can the iPad save/read PDFs? Can one save YouTubes?

6) Can the iPad be used as a phone? (it has the FaceTime software)

The bottom line for me is that I started to play guitar and find it awkward to play to YouTubes in front of my PC and even more so printing out songs. The iPad seems ideal for this as it fits right on a music stand and one can toggle between a YT and the sheet music. There are added bonuses of recording etc and also making notes etc.

6) Wi-Fi vs 3G

Does the iPad detect the Wi-Fi hotspots? How does one know when they are in one. Does the 3G kick in when the Wi-Fi fails?

I know these are newbie questions so thanks in advance

Rick

For starters, I'd note that the maps and GPS features are extremely useful. However, I think you have to get the 3G model to get GPS. It's assisted GPS, so it gets fast and fairly accurate fixes.

In answer to your questions:

1. You have to create an iTunes Store account, which is easy if you don't have one. Then you can download apps anywhere, any time. There's a special app on the iPad for browsing and downloading apps, and you can also use iTunes on your primary computer.

2. Internet access is only via wi-fi or cell network. Wifi routers are cheap — the place I got my iPad was actually giving them for free with iPads.

3. If it's a free wi-fi hotspot, you don't need any account. The iPad will just automatically connect to it. In my very limited American experience (a brief visit to Hawaii), it's pretty easy to find free wi-fi.

4. It only has the dock connector port, but Apple sells a small USB adapter which can be used with a camera or flash drive to download images and movies.

5. Yes, Safari reads PDFs fine and there are many apps for reading and saving PDFs. Goodreader is a popular one. There might be apps for saving Youtube videos, but I haven't checked. There is a dedicated Youtube app built in, which is quite handy.

6. You can use it for Skype or Facetime calls.

7. Yes, it automatically prompts you to join wi-fi hotspots if there are any in range, and remembers any you've previously joined. 3G kicks in when wi-fi isn't available, so it's seamless.

Martijn Meerts

For your planned uses, an iPad 1 would suffice really (apart from the facetime thing), and it might be cheap now with the new one just out. The new one also seems to be in short supply, although I expect it to be readily available in not all that long.

GarageBand is an amazing app btw. I'm no musician, but I bought it to check how Apple goes about making a complicated app like GarageBand. It works absolutely great, and it's extremely advanced (especially considering it doesn't cost much at all). You can compose, edit and mix a complete song right on the iPad it seems :)

As for your questions:

1. You need an iTunes account to be able to buy/download apps, and to activate the iPad in the first place. An iTunes account is free and easy enough to set up, you might need a credit card though (not sure how it works in your part of the world, there might be alternatives.) Once you have an account, you can use either the device itself, or iTunes to search for apps, and than install them buy hitting the buy/download button.

You can also jailbreak the device, which would allow you to install apps without using the app store, but if you don't know what you're doing, there's a (small) chance of messing up the device, and you loose the convenience of the app store. Some dislike the app store concept, but I have to say, I quite like how easy everything is.

2. You'll need a Wi-fi network to connect to, likely that'll be a personal network, unless you have neighbors who don't mind you grabbing their bandwidth :) The only use of plugging the iPad into the PC is to sync music/video/apps/etc.

3. There are public hotspots which give you free access, some you have to pay for. I believe quite a few restaurants and bars are offering free hotspots these days. These hotspots are likely limited with regards to speed, so you might not want to be downloading large apps through those hotspots.

4. There isn't.

5. iBooks can read PDF's, as can Safari (the browser). In Safari you have the option to open PDF's in iBooks (it'll then also store the PDF on the iPad itself.) There are also other programs, like GoodReader which have a lot more features than iBooks. GoodReader is well worth buying, especially since it's not expensive.

6. Only if you use facetime, and there are many limitations to that (only works on wifi, not on 3g. Other end needs facetime as well, etc.) I'm not sure if programs like Skype are available from the app store, but I doubt it. I know there is a skype app for jailbroken iPads though.

7. It detects wifi networks, and auto-connects to those when you're in range. You only need to register with them once to get them to work. If you have a 3g version, it'll automatically switch to 3g when there's no known wi-fi network in range. Make sure you read all the fine print when getting an iPad 3g subscription btw. Some close of 3g if you've hit the limit, but many will just continue to give you access, but you start paying extra per MB on top of your monthly subscription. There are also a few who continue to give you access but at lower speeds once you hit your monthly limit.

Of course, using 3G abroad will cost a TON per MB ;)

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Tenorikuma  and Martijn!

I appreciate your detailed responses.!!!

I'm thinking about the largest memory with 3G for the following reasons. Its only a few hundred more and if one uses the iPad for several years then it might be worth it. In Canada, we can pre-buy the 3G service which I would use only when traveling. I know its "cool" to browse your iPad at some coffee shop but that's not me. (But I will use the hot spots for downloads.)

I figure the iPad3 etc will be out soon and have better screen resolution etc so its either get a cheap one now and hope to upgrade or get a better one and hope it lasts. I figure there are tons of uses for the iPad - even when it gets old. (It will always work as a reader).

I did some reading and I am beginning to understand how apps work - there is an "app" button on the device.

I like the new version and would pay more for the smaller size, better processor and that cool cover!

Mostly I want one for playing guitar and the calender/schedule and notes features.

One great thing about the apps is the great low price!

I played with the map feature the store (original iPad) and really loved the touch screen!

I figure one can store a ton of info on the iPad and that is pretty cool for reading in bed or watching a movie while camping etc.  You can even buy a small keyboard for the device so you can type as usual but view the screen upright.

Thanks again...  It should come to Canada in a few weeks..

Rick

Martijn Meerts

There are a lot of rumors of an iPad 3 coming out later this year already, but I highly doubt it. With Apple, there's always a bit of a "should I buy it now or wait for the next revision", which can be annoying :)

Personally, I have the 64gb 3G version of the original. Since I travel a lot to and from work each day, the iPad is really nice. I sometimes whip out my MacBook Pro in the train as well, but since it's a 17" variant, it's just too big when it's crowded in the train :)

Right now the iPad is filled with mostly video's about iOS and OS X development, as well as several books and some other stuff. Of course, I also have a few games on it, but not that many really. The iPad 2 is definitely a lot faster compared to the original one, and I've been tempted to get an iPad 2 as well. But, I know I wouldn't use the extra power most of the time, so for me it's not worth upgrading until they come up with something new (like a higher resolution screen.)

Martijn Meerts

Talking about learning to play the guitar btw, I've been thinking of getting this once it becomes available in Europe: http://www.fender.com/promos/2010/rockband3

I know it's not the best quality, and I know guitar purist look down on it, but something like guitar hero and rock due stimulate you to pick up an instrument and play it. Combining a real guitar with rock band seems like an interesting combination to me ;)

Too bad it's not Gibson/Epiphone who made the guitar, would've preferred a Les Paul ;)

ShinCanadaSen

Hi Rick,

One note about the iTunes app store in Canada. You need a credit card to create an account, pre paid credit cards will work, however iTunes gift cards are not useable for app store purchases, only music movies etc...

Hi Rick,

One note about the iTunes app store in Canada. You need a credit card to create an account, pre paid credit cards will work, however iTunes gift cards are not useable for app store purchases, only music movies etc...

Are you serious? That's a strange oversight.

Because I used my address in Japan, I don't even have a credit card attached to my account. I buy apps using iTunes gift cards I get at Seven-Eleven.

Martijn Meerts

iTunes gift cards don't work in various countries around the world.. Heck, even promotional codes that developers get for their own apps used to only work in the US up until not long ago ;)

The iTunes store is also very limited in Europe. In the Netherlands for example, you still can't really buy or rent movies, and the iBookStore over here is just pathetic. It's not because Apple doesn't want to offer this functionality, but there's just too many companies involved who all have a say in whether something is allowed to be sold or not. And obviously, they all feel that Apple doesn't pay enough ..

ShinCanadaSen

Yeah the situation in Canada has something to do with intellectual software rights and third party billing. I never did find out exactly what the issue was.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Guys!

Its amazing how much the iPad can do.. And its about as small as you would want, yet the screen and zoom make it readable.

And those apps!!!

Its hard to think what improvements are possible: better resolution, faster chip, better cameras, maybe more memory or portable memory.

It seems as though you can rent a movie and then have it play on an HDTV so once the iPad3 or iPad4 come out the 2 will still have uses. Heck a small monitor for exercising to!

Thanks, a cool game Martijn!  I'm trying to learn guitar for real and that is the main use for me. You can store songs, chord charts, and Youtube lessons (I don't know if these can be saved directly but there must a way). Its a hassle to print songs and then try to find them. I place them in a binder and that takes more space than an iPad...

Martijn, you have a good reason for 3G. I don't commute but if I did we only have buses and who wants to do that.

I'm trying to find a guitar teacher (I had one who really stunk!) and the iPad would be ideal to demonstrate songs or record lessons etc..

It also seems possible to take photos with a camera and then port these to the iPad so you can view them on the spot at a nice screen size. That's kind of cool...

Thanks again!

Rick

Hi,

I´m a proud owner of an ipad. I use it for fun, gaming, browsing and for business-

For my work I use the ipad,too. I bought a special pen that I can write on the ipad. With the TV adapter I can show what I have written with a beamer for my students.

Apps:

You have an incredible amount of apps in the appstore. I think too many ;-) Take a look on iphone / ipad website to inform about good apps. I subscribed to www.ifun.de where I can get news about the ipad and apps. It is a german site but you can find an english version.

Rick,

go for it, i think for the things you are looking at using the ipad for you will love it.

ive had mine since last sept and its fantastic. even though i dont do music, i still have great fun with it playing games now and then and mainly using it for reading the news paper, at times while watching tv or out and a bout to the post office and waiting in line! the video on it is superb and great when you are traveling (you can easily rip your dvds with handbrake to mp4 to play on it).

pdfs do wonderfully on the ipad. its a gem for those on the road with a lot of pdfs to read or reference! maintenance guys must just love it! ive slowly been trying to collect the pdf instruction sheets i can for my tools and electronics and put on the ipad. fantastic to have the full camera instructions with me while traveling. even a big master plan we just did in 11x17 format with large illustrations looks fantastic on the ipad and readable even at 1:1, but its so easy to zoom in and pan around when needed.

the new one is really a nice improvement, the cover especially nice design.

in talking with you in the past about computers and your needs i think you will really groove on the ipad, especially with the guitar stuff you can now do with garage band.

as always the next one will be better, cheaper, and faster, but i always live by the rule if i can afford the current one, really need or want it (and can potentially make money with it) and it will do most of what i need right now, then jump. later if you find you really really need the newer features of future version you can always upgrade and will probably be cheaper with better features. playing the waiting game too long gets circular and you end up w/o anything! apple usually waits a good year or so in most of their product revs. they plan out ahead pretty far (i have worked on apple projects in the past) and try not to rush things or react too quickly to the market. currently apple is continuing to trounce the other tablets, and the ipad2 just one upped them all pretty well with reviewers, so i think it will be a while before they go for another rev. at this point the next big jump will need to be in weight and battery power, thats going to take some work...

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Thanks, a cool game Martijn!  I'm trying to learn guitar for real and that is the main use for me. You can store songs, chord charts, and Youtube lessons (I don't know if these can be saved directly but there must a way). Its a hassle to print songs and then try to find them. I place them in a binder and that takes more space than an iPad...

Martijn, you have a good reason for 3G. I don't commute but if I did we only have buses and who wants to do that.

I'm trying to find a guitar teacher (I had one who really stunk!) and the iPad would be ideal to demonstrate songs or record lessons etc..

It also seems possible to take photos with a camera and then port these to the iPad so you can view them on the spot at a nice screen size. That's kind of cool...

Thanks again!

Rick

The Fender Squier guitar I linked is actually a combination of game controller and real guitar, as in, you can hook it up to an amp and use it as a regular electric guitar. However, hooking it up to (in my case) a PS3 using a midi box, you can use the guitar to play the game. Rock Band 3 has "pro mode", which basically teaches you how to play a real guitar (minus a few things which they can't simulate well, like sliding) You can actually hook it up to the PS3 and an amp at the same time, which is interesting (and probably painful on the ears :))

I've always loved guitars, but I just don't have the time to take any lessons from a teacher. GarageBand on the Mac actually also has a Learn to Play feature, which is just video's of people teaching you how to play basics, but also songs. For most songs, the actual composer/artist does the explaining, which is pretty cool.

There is a camera kit for the iPad, which is just a little dongle that you plug into the iPad, which gives you (I believe) a usb connector and SD card reader. I haven't tried it myself though, considering I always have my Macbook Pro with me when I also have my DSLRs with me.

I have the photo kit. problem is photo album would lock up randomly when loading lots of pictures off a large card.

i have not played with it since the last few os upgrades though, hope its gotten stabler. was nice to try to backup pictures on the last trip as i did not have the laptop, just the ipad. worked great on vacation, enough functionality to do basics of web surfing and email, while having entertainment, news, and some photo backup. folks loved seeing pictures on it.

cheers

jeff

not sure if the iphone dcc apps have been supersized to the ipad yet, but you can run most all iphone apps on the ipad and even double it in size to fill the screen (albeit big...)

cheers

jeff

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Tosaden  & Jeff & Martijn...

That the iPad handles PDFs and video is great!  Whatever improvements come down the road, the current spec is pretty decent. I'm buying as soon as it arrives here in Canada - which might be soon..

I tried an iPad at the store a few weeks ago and really loved the touch screen. It kind of makes you smile because it does exactly what you could only dream of a few years ago..

They've got this really cool cover for the iPad2 which is exactly perfect.. There is even a small Blue-tooth keyboard one can get if needed.

iPad2 has only a few new features but it looks like some of the kinks are removed - the new version is smaller and lighter and the faster processor and better graphics cannot hurt.

Now where are those WiFi hotspots....

Rick

Martijn Meerts

Isn't there an app for the iPad that will help you control your DCC layout? There is one for the iPhone.

Yes and no.. There is at least 1 iPad native app, but that can't control your layout directly. It's an add-on to Rocrail, which is a free layout control program. So basically, you need to have your layout hooked up to a computer running Rocrail before you can use the iPad to control the layout.

Same goes for the iPhone apps btw, you either need a computer to interface between the app and the layout, or you need something like an ECoS or Marklin Central Station, which have an ethernet connection which the iPhone/iPad can connect to directly.