Any advice for shipping trains to Italy?

Morian Miner

Morian Miner

Long story, but sold an N-scale engine on eBay.  Ebay forcing me to sell the item even though I said I don't ship internationally.  Knowing all the nightmares people have shipping to Italy, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to list on the customs form for model trains.  I've already seen "toy" won't work because you'll only allowed to ship wooden toys.  How about "plastic models" or "model trains"? Any other suggestion?

Italy is a member state of the European Union, so the same set of rules are applicable there as in Germany.

The appropriate declaration for model railroad equipment is "toys", the stat code being 9503 00 30.

Morian Miner

Italy is a member state of the European Union, so the same set of rules are applicable there as in Germany.

The appropriate declaration for model railroad equipment is "toys", the stat code being 9503 00 30.

Unfortunately, if you go to the USPS site for Italian customs, only wooden toys are allowed to be imported. 

I just received in jan./feb. used trains from USA and Canada from "qwertyaardvark" and "clem24", I don't remeber what's declared on shipping docs, maybe you can ask him in PM.

ciao

Massimo

Unfortunately, if you go to the USPS site for Italian customs, only wooden toys are allowed to be imported. 

I have imported locos from the US without any problems. Again Italy has no other set of customs rules than Germany. USPS info does not need to be correct. If you ship via EMS and the value stays, say, below $ 200, there is no duty to be paid.