March 2011 Tohoku Earthquake

bikkuri bahn

Yes of course , I was never intending that most of the oppponents of nuclear power know what they are talking  about, I was just complaining that the "experts" in the German Tv dont know...

One of them even said" the fukushima reactor is the oldest in china"

:grin

One of them even said" the fukushima reactor is the oldest in china" :grin

They appear to be inflating the effects of plate tectonics as well. :-/

Confusing china for Japan is like confusing India for Mexico.

Before our first tripe in Japan, my aunt asked us if we planned to go see the great wall...

And lots of people told us that we will eat cats, dogs and insects...

Confusing china for Japan is like confusing India for Mexico.

Before our first tripe in Japan, my aunt asked us if we planned to go see the great wall...

I still have people tell me that after three trips to Japan. I had one person on another occasion try to argue with me that Singapore is the capital of Hong Kong, despite the fact I was in the middle of a seven year relationship with a Singaporean.

I have had people ask me if I needed to learn to speak Chinese to go on my first trip to Japan.  That one makes *no* sense - you could even guess at the language they speak in Japan and 99% of people would get it right, or so you'd think.

In watching the coverage of this earthquake/tsunami on American TV, I have heard more than my fair share of traditional Chinese music as well.  I know traditional Chinese and Japanese music can sound sort of similar, but there are some obvious differences.  Anyway, in either case, it's not anything that modern Japanese can relate to, yet American news uses it constantly to represent Japan.

Well, fools never die ...

We once had a chancellor who supposedly said "This year I will be learning Esperanto, and next year I will go to visit the country."

Continuing prayers for the people of Japan!

We once had a chancellor who supposedly said "This year I will be learning Esperanto, and next year I will go to visit the country."

Hahaha! Cute! I guess he/she never come back from this Neverland.

I just gotta say, trying to figure out what is going with this disaster (especially with the nuclear reactors) is beyond frustrating. I know it's a complex situation, but the skimpy, unclear, and sometimes contradictory information is really hard to deal with. (Nothing compared with being there, I realize.)

I just gotta say, trying to figure out what is going with this disaster (especially with the nuclear reactors) is beyond frustrating. I know it's a complex situation, but the skimpy, unclear, and sometimes contradictory information is really hard to deal with. (Nothing compared with being there, I realize.)

Some of the technical terms are difficult until you learn them, but actually following what's happening is not so difficult if you know what to look at.

This is an excellent source for at-a-glance status of the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant:  http://www.jaif.or.jp/english/

Kyodo news provides good interim updates:  http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/japan_nuclear_crisis/

I have been following Reuters' live blog as the only real western source of any repute, mostly because the user commenters post some really good links sometimes:  http://live.reuters.com/Event/Japan_earthquake2

Though the Reuters liveblog has really fallen off since the Libya story broke.

You really just have to learn to ignore the drama that western news outlets have been trying to inject into this story - that's been the main problem lately IMO.  Initially I was annoyed that they were completely unquestioning of TEPCO's official line, which was severely underestimating the scale of the crisis, but then for a while they went completely off the deep end in the other direction.  Now it seems like they're playing catchup with the progress that's being made.  But if you follow the Japanese sources and the Reuters blog (where others often post other Japanese sources), you can get ahead of the western press.

The bottom line at this point is that reactors 5 and 6 have reached cold shutdown, reactor 2 has been re-connected to external power (systems check is in progress) and reactors 1, 3 and 4 power connection is also in progress.  If power can be restored, then the situation can be brought under control, but there is no guarantee of that yet.

The spent fuel pools, which are the main worry right now, are being controlled by spraying water from the ground, which has been effective so far.

Thanks--yeah, it's not so much that it's too technical, but that the information isn't well organized (and seems pretty sketchy from the source). I've been sticking with Kyodo most of the time, with occasional checks on NHK and the Washington Post. I'm allergic to most US commercial new sources. Reuters is a good suggestion.

Thanks for the links...

I'd note that we're past the 10-day mark, so the hot isotopes left over from the emergency shutdown have significantly decayed, should be producing less heat, and are (in my limited understanding) not the same danger they were immediately following the earthquake.

• Like 1

Yeah Scott...I saw the report on CBS' 60 Minutes last night, whereas it did explain certain parts of the situation it didn't give an update on what was going on at the moment. One problem they discussed is that it's hard to look inside the reactors to see what is going on because of the smoke and steam. They are using remote control vehicles and flying drones to see what is happening inside.

I'd note that we're past the 10-day mark, so the hot isotopes left over from the emergency shutdown have significantly decayed, should be producing less heat, and are (in my limited understanding) not the same danger they were immediately following the earthquake.

Right now, things seem to be turning for the worse. More smoke, and radiation in the water. Of course in the US media it has taken a back seat to lybia.

Martijn Meerts

Right now, things seem to be turning for the worse. More smoke, and radiation in the water. Of course in the US media it has taken a back seat to lybia.

Over here they seem to be advising you to not eat Japanese food, because the fish around the plant are affected by the radiation...

So they say you shouldn't eat sushi, because that is of course they only thing they eat in Japan. They also seem to think that sushi sold in the Netherlands is prepared with fish from Japan, and more specifically with fish caught in the waters around the power plant .......

Over here they seem to be advising you to not eat Japanese food, because the fish around the plant are affected by the radiation...

So they say you shouldn't eat sushi, because that is of course they only thing they eat in Japan. They also seem to think that sushi sold in the Netherlands is prepared with fish from Japan, and more specifically with fish caught in the waters around the power plant .......

I thoguht sushi fish were typically farm raised and tagged for health inspection requirements.

I thoguht sushi fish were typically farm raised and tagged for health inspection requirements.

I dont think any sushi fish in japan would be farm raised. tuna cant really be farmed. they do catch tuna then put them live in large sea pens to fatten up some, but i think its the euro fish market that does this not the japanese market. salmon is pretty horrible farm raised for flesh texture/color/consistency which when cooked not as evident it would be pretty awful as sushi where texture is everything. have not hear of other typical sushi fish like rockfish etc being extensively farm raised. mackerel is caught and partially pen raised to keep 'fresh' as well.

cheers

jeff

Not a SME on sushi, but I had recalled seeing a bit on NHK on farm raised fish for Tokyo sushi shops had come in to question as several had failed their annual inspection.

We just got a very nice note from Mr Kodama, the executive director of our sister club in Iwate. All but two of the club members have checked in now and the last two lived inland so its hoped they are ok. Its nice to hear they are in a spirit to perceiver.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/news/032211kodama.html

JRM has offered our sister club in Iwate to help out with the recovery efforts however we can. We are in discussions to see how this may take shape. Ill keep you posted on what comes together. things are just starting to get moving for them now.

cheers

jeff

• Like 3
SubwayHypes

most of the sushi in american resturants isnt even from japan, its tuna from mexico, mediterranean, fish from alaska and eastern seaboard.....the salmon is most 4.99 philly rolls (which are F-ing awesome BTW and frowned upon in japan) is farm raised locally and dyed pink...

one of the funniest moments in japan was when i asked if the sushi chef had a roll with cream cheese and tuna...  he got angry and said something to the effect of..."cream cheese and tuna??  tastes like GARRRRRBAGE" in the stereotypical angry world war II japanese samurai accent...priceless.

but it really is pretty good...i dont know.  in japan i usually go for the handrolls or just hit Mos Burger or any department store 8th floor,. where you can see plastic food versions of every menu in the window displays...

Good to see you Subway....how are your relatives doing in Japan?

most of the sushi in american resturants isnt even from japan, its tuna from mexico, mediterranean, fish from alaska and eastern seaboard.....the salmon is most 4.99 philly rolls (which are F-ing awesome BTW and frowned upon in japan) is farm raised locally and dyed pink...

one of the funniest moments in japan was when i asked if the sushi chef had a roll with cream cheese and tuna...  he got angry and said something to the effect of..."cream cheese and tuna??   tastes like GARRRRRBAGE" in the stereotypical angry world war II japanese samurai accent...priceless.

but it really is pretty good...i dont know.  in japan i usually go for the handrolls or just hit Mos Burger or any department store 8th floor,. where you can see plastic food versions of every menu in the window displays...

From HS re radiation:

http://www.1999.co.jp/NuclearPowerPlant.html

Regarding the accident at the Nuclear Power Plant

As we are located in Taitoku of Tokyo, which is 220km away from the nuclear power plant of Fukushima,

there has not been radioactivity that would harm the human body. So please do not worry.

The evacuation order has only been enforced within the 20km radius and order to remain within buildings

for the 30km area surrounding the power plant.

The direction of wind is also towards the Pacific Ocean, and so Tokyo is not in the path of the wind.

We have noted the readings information of the radioactivity below.

Now, the model type items has not been object of the shipping limitation inside and outside Japan.

Many of the production factories are overseas, and as we stock our products from suppliers in Tokyo,

there are no products being shipped from Fukushima.

Since the products we deal are not food related, they are less likely to be contaminated by radiation

to begin with, so please do not worry.

If the government or custom decides to place a limitation against shipment of products, we will announce

this on our website.

[Resource Material]

http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/emergency/monitoring.tokyo-eiken.go.jp/monitoring/index-e.html

At the point of measurement in the Shinjuku district of Tokyo (Institute of Public Health, Tokyo:

Shinjuku Hyakunincho), the amount of radiation in the air are being measured, and has detected a reading

of 0.809μSv(Micro Sievert)/h on the 15th of March, which has been the highest reading so far.

(The level has decreased to approximately 0.1μSv at present on 31st March.)

Even if we assume this highest reading from the 15th is to continue for a year (24hours 365days peryear),

the amount of radiation will be 7078μSv over the year.

According to the website of National Institute of Radiological Sciences, if the amount of radiation

exposure is below 100mSv (=100,000μSv), it will not cause immediate harm to the health.

*note 1) The unit of radiation portion: 1mSv(Mili Sievert) = 1000μSv

*note 2) Reference for comparison: Chest radiography/X-ray = 60μSv per scan

close