March 2011 Tohoku Earthquake

bikkuri bahn

Speaking of the media, a question...does anyone know if civil society (individuals and organizations) in the unaffected areas of Japan are mobilizing themselves to help, or are they just standing and waiting for the government to act? One commentator yesterday hinted that the Japanese government was being incompetent in its handling of the emergency as a whole and that the rest of the country was oblivious to what is happening in the north because they expect the government to handle everything. True, false or plain "telephone" (or simply plain media BS)?

Cheers NB

Sounds similar to the 1995 Kobe quake.  Don't forget Japanese culture requires a complete consensus--which takes time.  It was said in 1995 that the Yakuza was more effective than the local or national governments and merchants would not dare refuse a Yakuza request for supplies.

Hobby Dreamer

I hate the MSM, it only peddles fear...

Almost every day one hears about the nuclear threat Iran poses, yet they pass every inspection by the international nuclear inspection agency. But, when there is a genuine nuclear threat in Japan, where are those nuclear guys? Funny that!

As for helping via charities, so little money ever gets to those who need it. There was an expose some years ago on one Canadian charity that used something like 99% for admin and only earmarked the 1% to any cause.

Did the 9/11 monies ever get to the victims?  (I wonder how much "get rich Larry" gave)..

But it does not mean that I don't want to help. There is probably a tangible way we can help substantially rather than pennies on the dollar that never get to the victims. A lot of people lost their houses and possessions. And a lot of these people are children who may live in shelters or gymnasiums for some time. There is no place to play and a bleak future.

Maybe a bunch of guys here can contribute to buy some modest toys for these kids. Maybe we can get a store in Japan to make that possible and even sell items at cost. Maybe there is a member in Japan who can deliver these (we pay the transport) to make sure they get there. A toy can mean a lot. Its a small bit of fun in a world that went upside down. And it will show them that people care.

Maybe that will cause a ripple effect..

If that is do-able then I'm in but I won't text money to OURCHARITYNEEDSACONFERENCEINFLORIDA

Anybody has thoughts on this?

Rick

Martijn Meerts

I hate the MSM, it only peddles fear...

Almost every day one hears about the nuclear threat Iran poses, yet they pass every inspection by the international nuclear inspection agency. But, when there is a genuine nuclear threat in Japan, where are those nuclear guys? Funny that!

As for helping via charities, so little money ever gets to those who need it. There was an expose some years ago on one Canadian charity that used something like 99% for admin and only earmarked the 1% to any cause.

Did the 9/11 monies ever get to the victims?  (I wonder how much "get rich Larry" gave)..

But it does not mean that I don't want to help. There is probably a tangible way we can help substantially rather than pennies on the dollar that never get to the victims. A lot of people lost their houses and possessions. And a lot of these people are children who may live in shelters or gymnasiums for some time. There is no place to play and a bleak future.

Maybe a bunch of guys here can contribute to buy some modest toys for these kids. Maybe we can get a store in Japan to make that possible and even sell items at cost. Maybe there is a member in Japan who can deliver these (we pay the transport) to make sure they get there. A toy can mean a lot. Its a small bit of fun in a world that went upside down. And it will show them that people care.

Maybe that will cause a ripple effect..

If that is do-able then I'm in but I won't text money to OURCHARITYNEEDSACONFERENCEINFLORIDA

Anybody has thoughts on this?

Rick

I also tend to support very few "good" causes, because quite frankly it's a waste of money. Of course, it can be said that even if they spend 90% in administrative cost, there's still 10% going to the actual people that need it, which is 10% more than when people wouldn't donate at all.

When I do support something, it's usually either a small organization that runs mainly on volunteers, or to something where I KNOW my money is going directly to those in need. Right now, I support 2 small organizations in the Netherlands for about 10 dollars each. They aim to help children worldwide. And I've supported the Gorilla Foundation for many years (I need to pick this up again, I had to cut it for a while after the move back to the Netherlands, didn't have the money, I was donation 50 dollars a month.. I love gorilla's, what can I say :))

I would be more than willing to donate to what you suggest, I'm not sure if it's doable though. I think maybe Grant would be our best bet on getting this done considering he already works with kids over in Tokyo. Maybe we could do something like we provide some cash, give it to Grant, and he can for example decide what to buy/build/whatever together with his students. Whatever items come out of that can then be donated to at least some of the children that have lost everything.

Again though, not sure how doable it is, or whether or not people would be willing to go through the effort. Most of us just need to donate some cash, but the person(s) in Japan would need to take care of many things.

Hobby Dreamer
If you want to contribute, contribute to your local Red Cross.  Red Cross has people in Japan already.

Really Bill? The Red Cross? How many people died of tainted blood by these goons here in Canada because the RC did not secure their blood products? And if you received these tainted goods before an arbitrary date the RC did zip to help you in your dying days...

That's a good charity! Murder Incorporated....

I'm going to pass on the RC...  Its an optics thing for me... Maybe we should give to BP because they had all that bad press last year...

You know a lot of money went to Katrina but where exactly? Cause New Orleans is still pretty vacant..

There is a huge difference between giving and victims getting. Giving makes you feel good. Getting helps victims. It would be great if they were one in the same.

===

I know my idea is off the wall but there are many communities that vanished in Japan in the N.E. last week. People lost their homes and possessions and have little hope. They will clear the bodies soon. Water is next, then roads and other infrastructure. But its not like these people have anywhere to stay or do. And that won't change for a long time..

A small gift to a child is hope and care.. Parents, relatives and others in a shelter can share in the hope by hearing a child laugh once more..

Its just that simple...

CaptOblivious

Re: giving. Hold that thought for a moment. Creating our own charitable infrastructure from the other side of the would sounds nice, but is highly impractical, esp if it involves I'm,posing on members who likely already have too much to deal withm. The problem of finding effective charities is a long-standing one for philosophers (esp those who do ethics and political philosophy), and I can likely find a list of potential organizations. I would like to coordinate a forumwide- effort if possible, but this requires a bit of an admin powwow first. Stay tuned...

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Martijn,

I just don't trust any charities these days.... I only give to seeing-eye dogs because they make a huge difference for blind people. Almost all the monies go to feed and train dogs.. No fancy buildings or corporate junkets...

No matter how much I could give to Japan my government will promise more on my behalf. (And then never deliver).

All the disasters of the past few decades seem never to be remotely rectified. The charity money never gets to the victims.

Its sad... there are promises, photo-ops, and people feel good that they gave but that's really it! Unless you are a banker...

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Shin and Capt...

I just don't want to feel good knowing I gave but that it made no difference... It probably makes more sense to just order from HS. It keeps delivery jobs (because I doubt the Japanese are going to be buying stuff) and moving inventory helps.

I don't want to pretend I feel good because I gave to a charity. A $10 toy to one child in need is probably worth $10,000 to a charity that does nothing with it.. 

I don't know the names of the small communities but the ones in the N.E. are demolished. Tokyo could probably absorb a million people who lost their home but in the remote regions there may be a school gym at best.

Its just a thought...

CaptOblivious

Thanks Shin and Capt...

I just don't want to feel good knowing I gave but that it made no difference... It probably makes more sense to just order from HS. It keeps delivery jobs (because I doubt the Japanese are going to be buying stuff) and moving inventory helps.

The good news is that this is a false dilemma. There are many good organizations that work hard to ensure their funds are effectively utilized. UNICEF, OxFam, and the Heifer Project come immediately to mind (although not necessarily concerned with disaster relief, this is just an example list): Giving to these organizations is a very effective use of your money, because these organizations are primarily concerned with maximizing the potential of the moneys collected. It's not just pretending to feel good, these organizations are renowned for making real differences.

Watching BBC World News tonight, they showed a report on people leaving Tokyo by train heading to points South to get as far away from the Nuclear reactors up North.  

They are dropping salt water by helicopters onto the Reactors.

ShinCanadaSen

Perhaps someone has contacts in Japan who could recommend a reputable agency on the ground there now that could use some support? Not necessarily for a jnsforum initiative but I'll leave to pow wowing to the admins. I just liked Rick' idea of something for the displaced kids.  

so they reactors are shut down right? so how long does it take for them to completely cool down? please explain i am dumb when it comes to this

Darklighter

so they reactors are shut down right? so how long does it take for them to completely cool down?

A few years. However, right now the main problem is cooling spent nuclear fuel rods which are kept in a pool of water.

Completely cooling down is a rather looong process ()the ooos are intentionally)

They are furthermostly tring to get the temperatures down to a manageable range of ~100'c

if thats achieved -> the rest(of the temperature!) is a piece of cake...

About the donation, maybe we could look together for something, maybe organise some event or charity sale, presentation ,  ???

This is just an idea don't beat me and kick me out of this board for it ...

I made a similar suggestion in a german board(for a diffentent hobby) and got nothing but insults and racial stereotypes...(I nearly got/get kicked out for it)

Don't worry, we are not like that. Those guys were obviously stupid.

But to organize an event might be quite difficult since we are scatered all other the world.

Thanks, I hope so.

I must admit it was my second strike there (the first one , saying that the nazis we the bad ones in ww2)

Yea , finding something could be hard, maybe some online thing , time is unfornuatly *tear* not of the essence.

(meaning we dont have to hurry to help at all)

The Board here is looking into options as to how the forum can help the Japanese during this crisis.

Be patient...it's going to take a long time for them to recover from this... and I think we all want to choose either an organization, charity, etc. that we all feel will be most beneficial to the people of Japan.

Suggestions are welcome!

I got together with a few Japanese this evening in our bi-weekly boozing in one of the local bars. One of 'em just came out of the Northern area via Osaka and Seoul and didn't really wanted to talk about it. I guess they've seen it all too often on television and say that the international media are hyping upthe situation surrounding the nuclear plants. I remain sympathised.

I don't think the Western media accurately gauges the situation. The Japanese are strongly community-conscious, and I expect the region to be a major focus of privately sponsored volunteer initiatives for quite some time.

On the other hand, there is a feeling of helplessness at the moment, because it is very difficult to get access to the stricken areas unless you happen to have a helicopter. Most train lines in the region are being repaired, and the expressway network is closed for repairs as well, with about a thousand or so damaged locations.

so they reactors are shut down right? so how long does it take for them to completely cool down? please explain i am dumb when it comes to this

The problem is that there are hot short-lived isotopes that take about ten days to decay after a plant shut down. During that time, the reactor core must be actively cooled, otherwise the core temperature will reach thousands of degrees and start burning the fuel rods. Most of the efforts at Fukushima have gone toward keeping the core cooled without any of the normal backup systems (external power, on-site diesel generators, batteries etc.) working and with parts of the facility flooded by the tsunami.

Fortunately, we're mostly through those ten days, meaning the end of the crisis is in sight. I also just heard some good news — it sounds like they're about to restore external power to the facility.

One of the side effects of the recent floods and cyclones here in Queensland has been the drastic drop in the numbers of tourists hurting the economies of many areas, affected by the disasters or not. I'm still considering a short trip later in the year if I can fit in some time off. Japan is going to suffer because businesses and travelers go elsewhere.

Many people here are wary of who they make donations to after only about $20 million of the over $240 million given to the Premier's relief fund has so far made its way through the mess of red tape to those who need it while the rest sits in the government coffers earning 6% interest, some people are asking for the money back so they can give it to those who need it themselves. Governments are good at taking money but it flows like treacle going out.