March 2011 Tohoku Earthquake

bikkuri bahn

reactors dont sound critical, its more of just releasing the pressure which results in a small radiation release. larger evacuation is probably more to stop panic with the radiation release than as worries that they will be harmed by the low level radiation release. both were expected from the earlier problem.

cheers

jeff

reactors dont sound critical, its more of just releasing the pressure which results in a small radiation release. larger evacuation is probably more to stop panic with the radiation release than as worries that they will be harmed by the low level radiation release. both were expected from the earlier problem.

I don't trust Japan when it comes to being forthright about nuclear accidents.  They have a pretty spotty track record and routinely overestimate their ability to control things, while perhaps putting too much emphasis on avoiding panic among the public (and therefore failing to tell the whole truth).  I'm old enough to remember Three Mile Island, and this accident sounds very similar.  That situation came very close to meltdown, and the public officials were saying similar things.  And this is not something that is necessarily resolved in one day - TMI took something like a week until it was known what the outcome would be, if I remember right.

Has there been any more news about that train?  Was it found or is it assumed now that it was lost in the tsunami?  This whole thing is really horrifying.  Thankfully my wife's family is ok, though she hasn't been able to get hold of many of her friends yet (probably just the phones being down).

• Like 2

Any update on that missing train? I heard commuters on the MARC talking about it for 90m. I had a last minute call to DC for the Day of Rage" which was a dud. Downside of being in the press is that the flow of information within is one way,; out. NHK on right now, doing nothing but the trains, people are wearing suspension hats on the trains.

ShinCanadaSen

Hard to put words to this other that I hope everyone is safe and the recovery is quick. My thoughts are definitely with those affected and I hope everyone's friends and family are safe and well.

There is also a fifth train, a freight train that was running on the Jōban Line near Hamayoshida Station in Watari Town, Miyagi.

If you watch some of the NHK live news footage, you can see at least a few of the derailed cars.

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/knews/20110312/k10014617281000.html

In terms of damage, there's also portions of the Iida Line I believe that are now hanging in mid-air due to avalanche / landslide. I think we can expect Sendai Airport Transit to also be out of commission, at least for a while.

Tōhoku, Akita, Yamagata Shinkansen will be out of service today as well. No word on the Jōetsu, Nagano Shinkansen.

Just looked up the Iida line in the news.

It sounds like a middle section of the line is shut down due to the earthquake, but I can't find anything about avalanches. There was also a railway crossing in the city of Iida that was stuck with the barriers down and the alarm sounding, causing a traffic jam of cars that couldn't cross.

Anyone hear from Gmat?

Doesn't look like he's posted yet, but, since he's in Tokyo iirc, I'm hoping all is OK.

Is anybody able to make a list of all the members (or at least recently-active members) who live in Japan so we can see who has checked in?

There is also a fifth train, a freight train that was running on the Jōban Line near Hamayoshida Station in Watari Town, Miyagi.

If you watch some of the NHK live news footage, you can see at least a few of the derailed cars.

You could also see the wrecked tracks--but the locomotive was still upright on the tracks.

I was just in Sendai last week to see one of my good friends. I can't reach him at all right now, but I've got this really sick feeling in my stomach. He's a pilot, and I'm pretty sure he was working in the office right beside Sendai airport when this happened.

The problem is, there is just so little information coming out of Sendai itself right now...no one knows what is going on, it seems.

bikkuri bahn

I was just in Sendai last week to see one of my good friends. I can't reach him at all right now, but I've got this really sick feeling in my stomach. He's a pilot, and I'm pretty sure he was working in the office right beside Sendai airport when this happened.

The problem is, there is just so little information coming out of Sendai itself right now...no one knows what is going on, it seems.

There are 1300 people taking refuge in Sendai Airport, he hopefully is among them.  In railway related news, all passengers and crews of the four trains in question have been accounted for and are safe.  The Iiyama Line is closed due to a portion of line giving way due to the quake that struck early this morning (it is still not known if this quake is related to the quake off Miyagi, as it was centered in Nagano/Niigata).  

In the news this morning, it was announced USAID is sending staff and equipment to Japan.  In one news clip, I saw rescue personnel with FAIRFAX (County?) work uniforms loading their gear into trucks.  Perhaps Shashinka knows about this effort??

Also, the flattop USS Ronald Reagan left San Diego to take part in rescue/aid operations in the Tohoku region.

Can only hope that friends & family of members are safe. Currently watching the explosion at one of the reactors, scary stuff.

Thoughts of my family and me are with you all, stay safe friends.

Just to add to Bikkuri Bahn's report — the latest Japanese update is here:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20110312/t10014626881000.html

As Bikkuri noted, passengers from all four trains have been rescued, but JR is still trying to confirm how many passengers there were to begin with and account for them all.

There were no injuries aboard the freight train that detailed. The locomotive was not seriously damaged, but much of the cargo (20 cars' worth) is stuck in the mud. It consists mainly of paper and vegetables being delivered from Sapporo to Tokyo. That train was two kilometres from the coast when the tsunami struck it.

There was also a four-carriage passenger train that made an emergency stop at Shinchi Station, Joban Line when the tsunami warning sounded. All passengers and crew got to safety before the tsunami hit and swept the train off the tracks.

Lastly, there was another freight train on the Tohoku line and a test Shinkansen running in Iwate that were derailed. No one was injured.

My heartfelt sympathy goes out to the people in Japan who once again have to fight the challenges of nature. My prayers go out to the families who have loved once.

Anyone else notice there doesn't seem to be as many posts on the forum today? I guess we are all a bit overwhelmed by the earthquake news.

It's good that all on board the missing trains seem safe but the news from the Fukushima nuclear power plant is not so. It looks like the Aizu-Wakamatsu web cam is down, I suppose not surprisingly and the least of the locals' problems.

A plane load of rescue workers from Australia with experience in other regional disasters such as the 2004 Indonesian tsunami, including police sniffer dogs from Queensland to search out those trapped in the rubble is enroute to Japan to aid in the rescue efforts.

And with this being Japan, some railfans were shooting video during the earthquake!!  Watch 7511 bounce around.

"2011 (2011) March 11, Japan's largest earthquake, struck the Tohoku region. Recorded strong intensity 5 in Tokyo, but not severely damaged, an earthquake, because the tram was just 荒川車庫前, shakes and other large vehicles form 7500, you can shoot raw video Now."

bikkuri bahn
It looks like the Aizu-Wakamatsu web cam is down, I suppose not surprisingly and the least of the locals' problems.

Communication networks are experiencing spotty service, though I have had no problems with NTT up here in Hokkaido.

More earthquake video:

March 11, 2011 Great Kanto earthquake struck northern Japan. The state of JR Kannai Station taken by an earthquake, Keihin-Tohoku Negishi Line.

bikkuri bahn

I wouldn't have liked to be at Kannai Station with all that shaking- it's a fairly high elevated station, and there are gaps here and there in the supporting structure where you can see (way) below.

TestudoToTetsudo

I learned my family is ok (thank goodness).  Also thanking my lucky stars my brother wasn't doing his study abroad this year - he was in Tsukuba which got hit pretty badly.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected - especially the people of Sendai, and the Fukushima area.

Two train-related things: from what I've heard down the grapevine from relatives; staff at my cousin's school near Odawara (she's a teacher) spent the night with stranded students who couldn't get home due to JR East and Tokai lines being out of service.  Also, another cousin (who is expecting a baby) had quite a trek getting home from central Tokyo to the Tama area, with everything out of service.  But better safe than sorry when inspecting infrastructure after a quake!

Martijn Meerts

I have no words really.. The devastation on the clips they show on TV here is just unbelievable.

The Netherlands has a good amount of knowledge about water and stopping water (a large part of the Netherlands is below sea level), but if such a tsunami would hit here, the Netherlands would just cease to exist completely.

What amazes me is how calm people remain, or at least, on the clips I've seen so far people are calm and rational. Rather than running an screaming, they just try to find exits and safe spots. Even those stranded for unknown periods of time seem to remain calm. Obviously Japan is well aware that earthquakes are a very realistic risk, but such a big one and combined with a tsunami is hard to be prepared for. Yet, they seem to be prepared for the large part.

As for the nuclear power plant, who knows what the severity really is at this point, but overall I think it's a good choice to maybe not tell the whole truth and cause any more panic than necessary. They might not be certain themselves what's going on at the plant(s) to be able to make a statement. Obviously, a lot of conspiracy theorists are having a field day, and the anti-nuclear power people are popping up everywhere. Let's face it though, for the amount of power required worldwide, there is just no feasible replacement for nuclear power at this point in time...

• Like 3