March 2011 Tohoku Earthquake

bikkuri bahn

lordwinslow2
US Media on the east coast as of this post seems relative uninterested aside from CNN and FOX. CNN is downplaying it right now and FOX is overly zealous in it's reporting as expected. CN is making it look like a normal day and FOX you'd think the entire country was devastated.

Well we don't have the Asian populations as the West Coast of the US and Canada.  And since it is still early morning for them the news cycles will not ramp up for a few more hours.  Also they are reporting on it, just not details like fox or cnn.  I only have standard and sat radio, and it is all over both.  With Tsunami warnings for Hawaii and the Pacific Northwest this will get a bit more play, since the waves are expected to hit in the next hour in Hawaii and in about 3 for the West Coast. 

Winslow

And the disruption continues. We never think about this but they are part of the process to.

EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN - Tokyo airports have been evacuated in order to proceed to facilities inspections and will remain closed until further notice.

bikkuri bahn

And the disruption continues. We never think about this but they are part of the process to.

EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN - Tokyo airports have been evacuated in order to proceed to facilities inspections and will remain closed until further notice.

Yes, local news here in Sapporo reported that some international flights to Narita were diverted to Chitose Airport up here in Hokkaido.

It seems that one of the central is on fire but everyone on the admnistrative side seems quite optimistic on the nuclear issue.

I'm happy I don't own a TV. Just to read the AFP news makes me feel so sad and uneasy. This is going to be a very long and exhausting day for many Japanese.

I wonder how is the situation in Osaka and Kyushu.

I've only just gotten home from work, didn't know about the earthquake until right now. Very, very sad for every one involved, but my thoughts go out in particular to all our members in Japan. Hoping you're all safe and well, as well as your friends and families. Stay safe.

All the best,

Mark.

Nagoya is carrying on as if nothing happened, so I'm sure anything west of us is fine as well.

qwertyaardvark

I too share my thoughts to members in Japan, I hope all is well. Thankfully, friends of mine in Japan survived just fine (in Sendai no less!); no power, no gas, little water, but fine :) *sigh of relief after seeing flooded Sendai videos at work*

Kyushu is safe, I have lots of friends there.

There is a tsunami alert but nothing else, nothing to worry about (for the moment at least).

I hope all our forum members and everyone's friends and family are safe. I couldn't believe it this morning when I heard how big this quake was.

Some of the pictures from near Sendai are pretty shocking. I can't bring myself to watch the videos--nothing I can do to help the people in them, and too many nightmares if I do watch.

NHK was streaming video of extensive fires someplace, but I couldn't understand where it was.

Darklighter

Shocking pictures. The footage of the unstoppable flood wave looked so unreal.  :sad:

NHK was streaming video of extensive fires someplace, but I couldn't understand where it was.

Maybe the oil refinery in Chiba.

Nick_Burman

My best thoughts to all affected in Japan; to forum members who are there...please stay safe.

The Japanese community here Brazil must be in a high state of anguish. The Prefectural Associations will have their work cut out for them...

Cheers NB

CaptOblivious

Oh. Oh, my. I hope that our other members in Japan that haven't checked in yet and their families are well!

My thoughts are with our Japanese members, friends and family as well. I hope all are well.

Japan has a lot of experience in planning for and dealing with major earthquakes, but a magnitude 8.9 is beyond "major". The aftershocks alone are likely to be major quakes.

Just heard on radio driving to work that a passenger train is unaccounted for in the tsunami affected area, but no details.

From what I've heard, the train is missing somewhere east of Sendai on the Senseki line. In fact, NHK is talking about that now, but all I can understand is the line name and placenames. Can't find a good English-language feed.

My thoughts are certainly with all those affected right now.  Hope all forum members are safe.

I have heard from some of my friends in Tokyo, and other than a good shaking and having to do alot of walking, all appear well. 

Just waiting to find out what the various aid organizations are looking for...

Darklighter

Trains are rolling again but the situation at the nuclear power plant seems to become more and more critical...