Rulers

cteno4

ok the number three thing i can never grab when i need around the work area or shop (behind xacto knives and pencils!) is rulers! they tend to go poof easily, so i have slowly applied the xacto logic of having lots of them to hopefully saturate all the micro black holes around the house... small shop rulers (even office rulers) can pretty expensive.

found these nice little ones at dealexreme.com.

6" ruler

this one has metric on one side and english on the other. its handy when doing all of one kind of measurements with the same markings on both edges of the ruler on a side. markings are 1mm and 1/16" there are detail sections at 0.5mm markings and 1/32" and 1/64" markings. they are etched markings painted black, and pretty easy to read. also ends flush on one end which is a must and usually not on regular non shop rulers. great at $1.28 each!

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-0-5mm-resolution-stainless-steel-ruler-15-0cm-6-inch-21416

8" ruler

this one has english on one edge and metric on the other of each side, so you can compare english to metric measurements quickly. markings are 1mm and 1/16" there are detail sections at 0.5mm markings and 1/32" and 1/64" markings. they are etched markings painted black, and pretty easy to read. also ends flush on one end which is a must and usually not on regular non shop rulers. great at $2.35 each!

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-0-5mm-resolution-precision-stainless-steel-ruler-20cm-8-inch-22258

some of the few i got have a few surface scratches in them, but purely cosmetic. perhaps these are cosmetic seconds, but hey at these prices its worth it to have a few laying around now!

cheers

jeff

I have a couple of similar size English/Metric steel rulers, which I picked up from the local Arts & Crafts store (A.C. Moore).

One (two?) of my "essential tools".