makeup brushes

cteno4

ok another inexpensive ebay item for your toolbox. small makeup brushes. these are small, dense, soft haired brushes for brushing on powders. they work great for weathering powerds and chalks. in the past ive tried to clean off the brush i used for these after each powder, but with these little guys i can now have one for each color and keep adding different colors one after another!

http://cgi.ebay.com/10X-Cosmetics-Makeup-Eye-Shadow-Brush-Blush-Applicator-/180631563520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0e7aed00#ht_3389wt_976

there are also the big ones that are nice for going over the whole work afterwards to blend it all in, but i have found these at the dollar store for $1 ea...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cosmetics-Makeup-Brush-Blush-Brush-/170567120373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b697b5f5#ht_2950wt_770

i also picked up some of these sponge applicator brushes (5 for $2) to try out with the powders, just got them, but have not yet experimented with them. i think they will work like using your finger to really smoosh in powder harder than with a brush.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200580381996

cheers

jeff

well if you have doc o'brien's weathering powders in them she may think twice. those have something in them that make them stick! doubt she will want the 'weathered' look, thats usually what folks are trying to get rid of with makeup...

just make sure you get a hold of the package before she does!

cheers

jeff

Bump on this as I forgot to mention that the soft make up brushes are great for dusting off structures, the layout and track! I was just cleaning up a bunch of old tomytecs that have been used for 10+ years on the club layout and I noticed were getting fuzzy. Couple of larger soft brushes got most all of it off fast, the used a small one to get into corners and a stiffer flat one to hit some of the roofs with deeper pockets in the tiles. Quick, easy and no busted parts.

If dusting on the layout you can do the same and hold the vacuum hose next to where you are dusting (one of those micro vacuum hose attachments is great for this) all the smutz knocked loose is sucked up nicely. Put a hunk of nylon stocking over one of the vacuum hose fittings to trap any small parts accidentally sucked up before hitting the bag (if you have ever done that you know the yuech of going thru a full vacuum bag!).

You can get various make up brushes for 50 cents or less lurking some China ebay auctions or a small set for $2-4 that will do you. Or check the dollar store or as Bernard suggests raid your wife's makeup table, but do that at your own peril.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Bump on this as I forgot to mention that the soft make up brushes are great for dusting off structures, the layout and track! I was just cleaning up a bunch of old tomytecs that have been used for 10+ years on the club layout and I noticed were getting fuzzy. Couple of larger soft brushes got most all of it off fast, the used a small one to get into corners and a stiffer flat one to hit some of the roofs with deeper pockets in the tiles. Quick, easy and no busted parts.

I found a similar use, dusting 35mm slides.  It seems like they literally attract dust, maybe they really do because of static electricity or something.  And, it takes nearly nothing to scratch them.  A makeup brush worked out great for this purpose.

yep same here! they do attract dust like mad! I use to have to do the big slide collection at the aquarium as we had it in those big pull out frames so you could find stuff and pull fast to put together slide shows (pre powerpoint). even though the cabinet was only open maybe a few hours a week, they needed dusting every month!

Also use to use them on the guts of big betacam decks and cameras that also liked to suck in the dust and cat hairs (the film studio had a cat that loved to sleep around warm equipment!).

btw if you ever want to get cured of smoking, open up a computer that was that of a smoker (that smoked around the computer) the tar coats everything and then the dust sticks to the tar. you end up with a thick layer of sticky brown dust. You can just imagine what their lungs look like then...

jeff