an odd building to model

thats awesome love how the green growth is going up the building reminds me of laputa.

does look strange though. maybe it was an observation platform for something ???

translation = Shime former Japan National Railways (tighten) mining sites

scott,

my thought as well, maybe for high rise fire fighting. it does seem to have different structural situations designed into it.

i too like the green growing up it. really ads to the mystique!

cheers

jeff

Steven,

thanks mucho! ok its the elevator tower for the mine shaft. interesting they have what looks like offices and such up in the tower. usually its just a big tower over the mine shaft to run the cables out to the winch. wonder how this setup worked.

cheers

jeff

Wow...that is one creepy looking building!  I like it!  It would be a cool model, but no one would believe it unless you showed them a picture! Thanks for sharing that Jeff.  I'm always up for photos of creepy looking abandoned industrial sites, amusement parks, etc....

I like creepy abonded stuff as well lets the imagination run wild like for example on ghibli's spirited away when they are on the train it make you wonder where all the stations lead or laputa etc

one good example was final fantasy 13 @ the otherside the abandoned town

should start a massive abondoned area thread  :grin

i especially like this shot with the clean playground in the foreground. real children of the corn look!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Winding_tower_of_Shime_1.jpg

i too love abandoned structures. i grew up on an old wharf with a scrap yard next door and later got to play a lot in the old canneries on monterey's cannery row.

cheers

jeff

So yeah as ct just posted this is the description on wiki Description

志免炭鉱竪坑櫓  Winding tower of the Shime coal mine is 47.65 metre (156.3ft) tall, used to access underground mine lying more than 430 metre (1411ft) depth, built of unpainted reinforced concrete. It is located in Shime-town,Kasuya,Fukuoka,Japan, and was built from 1941 to 1943.

Very interesting.

Being Welsh and growing up with mines, the windows are just to let light into the winding room, and they're probably for a bunch of machine rooms for various bits of gear rather than offices.  It is kinda cool that the winding wheels seem to have been internal, it certainly is a great structure!

I'm more used to this look, if you look in the background there is a washer that has some similarity (behind the bus to the left) .. I grew up with this monster!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/657940&usg=__BcUkB--ps3rZQ2fKrLWDh_6-WsQ=&h=423&w=640&sz=77&hl=en&start=0&sig2=VT8nmMwVjFDwuaOxdjES8g&zoom=1&tbnid=QV-c0Y7Os0zhDM:&tbnh=145&tbnw=193&ei=VVZ2TZmlOouw0QHzkvGvBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbedwas%2Bcolliery%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1148%26bih%3D586%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=128&vpy=89&dur=5520&hovh=182&hovw=276&tx=107&ty=67&oei=VVZ2TZmlOouw0QHzkvGvBw&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

Steven,

thanks mucho! ok its the elevator tower for the mine shaft. interesting they have what looks like offices and such up in the tower. usually its just a big tower over the mine shaft to run the cables out to the winch. wonder how this setup worked.

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Gotta love ghost towns. I remember there being one (not sure anymore if it's Japan or not) where it looks like people just left from 1 day to the next. All buildings are still there, some tables are even made ready for dinner and stuff like that. Freaky ;)

I seen that site before very interesting.

I want to walk thought that island thats abandoned that used to be a mining area.Ii forget the name and am a bit to effort less to look it up.

Flatpedal has other photos of interesting buildings. Many that look like they are out of Blade Runner.

Flatpedal? found a guy on flickr, but no interesting odd building picts... link?

jeff

DOH! a homer moment...

yes he seems to like to bike to places with odd stuff!

his photo album also has a lot of nice, interesting building and city detail pictures.

thanks,

jeff

Samurai_Chris

Hi.. I used to work for Shime Town. And that is indeed an old Coal Mine tower.. Shime is a pretty poor rough area, and this relic has been made into the centerpiece of the town.. It has since been re-developed with a sporting precinct and playgrounds surrounding it. It is also lit at night...

thanks chris!

the photos with the modern little playground with the tower behind did look odd!

cheers

jeff

Samurai_Chris

Actually, to the back of that, there is an Olympic sized athletics field with soccer fields as well as an exercise walking track that goes all around the precinct..

I drove past it today. I now work for the next Town over and had to run some errands.. Although strange, it does stand out from a distance and as Shime is a small machi, they need all the notice they can get..