East Penn Traction Club National Meet

Guest JRF-1935

Anyone attending the East Penn Traction Club meet?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone attending the East Penn Traction Club meet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Guest JRF-1935

The East Penn Traction Club

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2011 East Penn 20th National Model Trolley Meet

www.eastpenn.org

May 12 (setup only), 13 & 14, 2011

The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center At Oaks

1601 Egypt Road

Phoenixville, PA 19460

In the spring of odd numbered years, the East Penn Traction Club sponsors the largest trolley-only model meet in the country. The next meet, Spring 2011, will be held at The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center At Oaks. (directions below.)

The meet draws the premier modelers and manufacturers from all over the country for a weekend of viewing models, layouts, films, photos, slides, model contests, and how-to clinics on subjects ranging from hanging trolley wire to modeling subway cars. The theme for the meet will be Nearside Trolleys. There will be several judged model contests including one for the meet theme, best operating module, etc. In addition, the latest in trolley kits, parts, bodies, etc. are offered for sale as is prototype data such as photos and books.

Check out photos from the 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007 and 2009 meets in our photo gallery!.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registration Information

Meet registration is $18 per person ($20 after May 1, 2011). Spouses and children under 18 are admitted free with a registered adult.

Dealer tables and commercial displays are $20 per table.

You are strongly encouraged to pre-register to save $$ on registration. You must mail in your check and the registration form to be considered pre-registered! THERE IS NO ON-LINE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE! Sending email to any address on this web site does not constitute pre-registration!

The Meet Registration form is available in Adobe pdf format for your convenience. Click on the link below to open or click "save as" in your broswer.

Meet Registration form in Adobe .pdf format. (This form requires the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to open.)

Meet Flyer Front Page

2011 Meet Agenda

THURSDAY May 12

11:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.

Setup of dealer tables, layouts, and displays ONLY.

FRIDAY May 13

8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.

Setup of dealer tables, layouts, and displays continues.

** MEET OPENS: 11:00 A.M. FRIDAY**

Clinic: Bob Robbins - Building award-winning trolley cars

Movie/Slide Presentation: 8:00 P.M.

SATURDAY May 14

Meet Open: 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M. (Some dealers may close at 5:00 P.M.)

Check the Schedule Board posted at the Registration Desk for updates to individual event times)

Clinics:

Bob Robbins - Scratch Building Ideas and Methods

Ken Spengler, Carl Lantz, Paul Mayer—Northwest Traction Group Modules – A Different Approach

John V Gallagher—How to Motorize and Light an O Scale Corgi Birney Trolley

Features:

Video Presentations, Operating Layouts in Many Scales,

Swap/Sell Tables, Dealer Tables, Static Displays, etc.

Works in Progress

Contests:

Nearside Trolley Cars (Meet Theme Contest)

General Trolley Builders Contest

Popular Model Contest

Richard Wagner Memorial Award for Best of Show (Masters)

Awards for Outstanding Modules and Displays

(Contest rules are available at www.eastpenn.org/contests.html)

Movie/Slide Presentation: 8:00 P.M.

There will also be a self guided rail tour available for those looking to explore the prototype trolley and light rail systems around Philadelphia. Details will be provided during the meet.

SUNDAY May 15

In lieu of a fan trip there will be a Self Guided Trolley Home Layout Tour. Information and sign-up sheets will be available at the Meet Registration table during the meet.

Hotel Accommodations

Two hotels are providing a limited block of rooms at a special rate for East Penn Meet goers.

The first is the Valley Forge Scanticon Hotel & Conference Center in Valley Forge, PA. Follow the link below to get the special rate of only $69.00 per night or mention the East Penn Traction Club 2011 Trolley Meet when you call. Please note that this hotel is not within walking distance to the meet venue. SEPTA bus route 99 does pass by this hotel and the convention center in Oak's. Check with SEPTA for schedule details.

Valley Forge Scanticon Hotel & Conference Center East Penn Rooms

A limited block of rooms has also been reserved at the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites Valley Forge/Oaks. Price is $109. Please contact the Hampton Inn directly and mention East Penn Traction Club to get the reserved rate. Rooms must be reserved no later than April 18, 2011. You can contact them online at hamptoninn1.hilton.com or Tel: 1-610-676-0900. The hotel is located at 100 Cresson Boulevard, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA 19460. Other hotels are available in the King of Prussia area.

For more accomodations in the area, visit the Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau Accomodations page.

For other things to do in the area visit Valley Forge Convention and Visitors Bureau home page.

Restuarant and Area Guide

Download a copy of our Restaurant and Area Guide to help plan your time at the meet.

2011areaguide.pdf

Directions to The Greater Philadelphia Expo Center At Oaks

Driving from From Rt. 76 (Schuylkill Expressway)

Follow Rt. 76 west to King of Prussia

Exit to Rt. 202 South (West Chester)

Stay in right lane for Rt. 422 West (Pottstown)

Stay on Route 422 for 6.4 miles

Exit Rt. 422 at Oaks, left onto Egypt Road

Left at Station Ave. (3rd light)

Follow signs for the Expo Center

Driving from the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-76)

Exit at Valley Forge and stay to the right

Exit Rt. 202 South (West Chester)

Stay in right lane for Rt. 422 West (Pottstown)

Stay on Route 422 for 6.4 miles

Exit Rt. 422 at Oaks, left onto Egypt Road

Left at Station Ave. (3rd light)

Follow signs for the Expo center

Via SEPTA

SEPTA Bus Route 99 from Norristown to Phoenixville via King of Prussia stops at a the EXPO Center and connects to the Manayunk/Norristown regional rail line and Norristown High Speed line (P&W) at Norristown Transportation Center with an additional connection to the Norristown High Speed line at DeKalb Street (former P&W King Manor).

Guest JRF-1935

Unfortunatly the insurance for "Fan Trips" is astronomical and the cost per person would be "high."  The Club decided on a Round-and-Round a few yrs back.  This way Meet participants can ride the subway/surface lines to their liking.  The Club provides a suggested tour that starts and ends at the same location with various Trolley routes included to get the most out of their stop in Philly.  Septa reps come to the Meet, have a table with maps and guidelines, and offer "Liberty" passes for sale that let you ride all day, all over,  for $10.00.

What is the meaning of this poll?

I have the same question.

"Live Ovehead", "HO/O" or "Other"?

Is that "do you have it?", "do you like it?", "do you think it's a safety hazard?", "does it contribute to global warming?"

And why those two choices on one bullet and no others?

Are you trying to highlight that the club does HO/O and uses live overhear?  If so, a poll seems an odd way to do so.

I've got no clue what's being asked or why.

Unfortunatly the insurance for "Fan Trips" is astronomical and the cost per person would be "high."  The Club decided on a Round-and-Round a few yrs back.  This way Meet participants can ride the subway/surface lines to their liking.  The Club provides a suggested tour that starts and ends at the same location with various Trolley routes included to get the most out of their stop in Philly.  Septa reps come to the Meet, have a table with maps and guidelines, and offer "Liberty" passes for sale that let you ride all day, all over,  for $10.00.

Geez, and I thoguht WMATA charging $7.50 was high. Oh, well, we can still ride all day for $3.50 in Baltimore. Granted not as much track on the Light Rail or Metro, but still...

What is the meaning of this poll?

I have the same question. "Live Ovehead", "HO/O" or "Other"? Is that "do you have it?", "do you like it?", "do you think it's a safety hazard?", "does it contribute to global warming?" And why those two choices on one bullet and no others? Are you trying to highlight that the club does HO/O and uses live overhear?  If so, a poll seems an odd way to do so. I've got no clue what's being asked or why.

I'm just as confused, either Mudkip posted to the wrong window or something. There's no poll here, and this was a fresh thread, it was not split from anything.

I'm seeing a poll at the top of this thread.

If that's not intentional, and you're not seeing it, then it sounds like a forum bug.

BTW, while I don't recall seeing a poll when I first read JRFs original post, it was clearly there when I was reading some of the later ones, before Mudkip commented.  I ignored it assuming it was "under construction", but it hasn't changed from the

original.

post-264-13569927353349_thumb.jpg

im seeing it now, though i had not seen it earlier when i posted my reply. not sure what the deal is there. any case sicne i could not split the poll off or remove it, i rewrote it in to some thing useful or at the very least relevant to the actual thread.

Guest JRF-1935

Guys -

The post for the  EPTC National Meet was informational for any one who might be interested.  I have no idea where the "poll" came from.  Yes, we have modules in O and HO scale that operate on Live Overhead for Trolley's and Traction Freight.

In the past 5 yrs the Club has been moving to N scale to attract younger members.  This started with the Tomix Easy Trolley idea of Rich K  http://www.trainweb.org/tomix/  and has shown great success.  At the 2009 Meet  Tomix Trolley's/Trams and Japanese Bullet trains were on display and drew quite a lot of interest and questions.  Some of our members now have T Trak modules they set up.  We've also been very lucky to have some of the JRM members join us in our monthly work/play sessions, and we are enjoying are new "passion" for Japanese Trains.

Sorry that this post has created quite a stir - it was not my intention. 

Rich C

Mudkip Orange

I'm just as confused, either Mudkip posted to the wrong window or something.

Mudkip posted to the right window. I can assure you, this battlestation will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

Sorry that this post has created quite a stir - it was not my intention. 

Your post was a good one, and very informational.  The confusion was caused by the poll, but I don't think that's your fault. It's likely some kind of software glitch.

The East Penn club does a lot of interesting work, and with all the traction fans here, I'd certainly encourage you to continue posting announcements like this.

I'm just as confused, either Mudkip posted to the wrong window or something.

Mudkip posted to the right window. I can assure you, this battlestation will be quite operational when your friends arrive.

I was pretty confused, reloaded the page several times with no poll, and was like what the farkle? I got to a point where I thoguht someone psoted a picutre of a phone poll or something. 

Not having an official fan trip seems like a strange reason to change your mind and not come. The Meet is the thing, and it happens only once every two years. Anyone can ride SEPTA, or Amtrak, or PATCO, or NJT River Line anytime. In fact, at the first EPTC work/play session that Philip came to, he and Scott took a fast Philadelphia & Western (now "Norristown High Speed Line") trip on an impromptu basis at the end of the day.

At the last meet, with no organized fan trip, EPTC revitalized a past idea of providing a detailed list of possible fantrips people can take themselves, making a round-trip by combining two or three different lines. It's called "Going around in circles on SEPTA."

Rich K.

It was my main incentive of going was a fan trip. it's a long trip for me, and the hotel is a big expense considering the fact that i am hosting two weeks earlier. It is a matter of balancing where I need to spend my funds and how much I need to take extra trips.$4 a gallon gas doesn't help matters either.

Guest JRF-1935

When I checked the post as a guest before signing in - there was No poll.  Once signed in I checked the replies to my recent post and "bingo" there it is.  Weird.

Anyway, I hope that any member of the group who would like to attend, will do so.  I'll be hanging out at the O scale layout.

Rich C

I hope to make it up, even if its only for a day. great price on the conf center rooms!

im sending in membership fees now to join up with east penn!

pretty sure phillip is coming and i bet bob Tomasko will also come up as well, so hopefully we will have a good jrm showing.

cheers

jeff

Phillip is going. We had talked about sharing a room for Saturday night, but that was before deciding to chose my trips a little better for the year. Got to spend Passover in NY next month.

Guest JRF-1935

The East Penn Traction Club National Meet was a "Huge" success with record attendance.  Thanks to Philip C, Scott H, Larry B, Bruce H, Rich K, and the Hylands, Ed, Pat , and Chris  for the excellent showing of N scale Japanese trains and trams, which drew a lot of interest from particpants, and members, who had had nothing but great comments for the displays.  Hope to see more JNS members in 2013.

Rich C