'Pixeling' - Drawing Japanese Scenery for a Game.

Hey all,

I thought I'd show you some work I've been doing for a game I've been helping develop every now and then known as Transport Tycoon Deluxe. The game has been around since the early '90s and has a large cult following ever since a hobbyist wrote an application to modify the original vehicles.

Since then a version known as Open TTD has more or less taken the charge and is still in active development. To this date we have created a Japan Set for the game that includes scenery, (lots of) vehicles and buildings as well. Here is the development site with lots more information (partially outdated.)

Recently I've been wanting to get the pre-1950's era going nicely as the set has a fantastic array of early steam, electric and diesel but no buildings!

So, I put it out to everyone, has anyone ever dabbled in mspaint or other apps and been interested in artwork for games? We more or less want to have as many buildings as possible... variations aren't that important.

So, if you haven't tried the game, I highly recommend it and if you want to give me a hand then please do. The game makes a perfect option for planning model railways :) ... well... not really, but it's great fun.

post-61-13569922036412_thumb.png

Martijn Meerts

ahyes, pixeling.. Done that a long time ago, nor sure I'd have the patience for it nowadays ;)

I actually played Open TTD not that long ago, definately still a fun game. I noticed though that there's some work going on on higher resolution 32bit graphics for the game. That's more interesting, since then you can really makes trains look like they're supposed to =)

ahyes, pixeling.. Done that a long time ago, nor sure I'd have the patience for it nowadays ;)

I actually played Open TTD not that long ago, definitely still a fun game. I noticed though that there's some work going on on higher resolution 32bit graphics for the game. That's more interesting, since then you can really makes trains look like they're supposed to =)

I can't recall but wasn't this game superseded by Traffic Giant or Locomotion? I recall I was in Scotland when this game came out, but can't recall what the follow up game was.

Chris Sawyer was then behind Rollercoaster Tycoon and Locomotion

Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is a computer game by an independent game developer Chris Sawyer. In his words, it is "the spiritual successor to Transport Tycoon"

I can't say I enjoyed Locomotion at all... and Theme Park was still the best (although I can't stand playing it now) for theme parks :)

OpenTTD... due to it's multi-platform architecture (I just helped port it, for the second time, to the Dreamcast) is a great game... only because it's continually being developed (AI, Graphics, Economics, etc...) and the artists on www.tt-forums.net have done some amazing work.

Theme Park was great, but it was superseded by Roller Coast Tycoon. I liked the first two games, but RC3 has too much of a 3D CG look to it which I did not care for so much.