New Type: Keisei Skyliner and Keisei Sky Access

bill937ca

I sometimes find new railway infrastructure more interesting than the rolling stock.  Here is an unedited video of a group of local government officials visiting the under construction Narita Yukawa Station, which is the last stop before Narita Airport on the Sky Access Line (Keisei Rlwy).  Lots of shots of the trackwork, sleepers, fasteners, etc.  Especially interesting is the (brief) view of the movable frog points that allow high speed operation (around 4:38 in the video). Apparently the only other non-Shinkansen line that uses this specialized turnout extensively is the Hokuhoku Line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUQOSr66HEU&feature=channel

bikkuri bahn

Low speed testing (except the last segment- note double green aspect on the signal) between Inzai Makinohara and Inba Nihoniidai, also what appears to be the stretch of new track beyond Inba Nihoniidai. Taken yesterday, March 14.

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Is it just me, or does it appear to be moving awfully slow for Japan's fastest non-shinkansen train? Maybe it's just parallax?

Is it just me, or does it appear to be moving awfully slow for Japan's fastest non-shinkansen train? Maybe it's just parallax?

I think new lines always take longer than us watching would like.  There's a lot to build, tested, staff to be trained, inspected and it won't probably be finished until the day it opens. 

CaptOblivious

I think new lines always take longer than us watching would like.  There's a lot to build, tested, staff to be trained, inspected and it won't probably be finished until the day it opens. 

I don't meant the construction ;) I mean the train itself!

disturbman

Or maybe it's just because these videos are not documenting a test at full speed.

Too bad the Sky Access was not open when I went to Narita on Sunday. It would have made things a lot faster. But I did saw a lot of those new units. They look great.

they do seem to have a bit of an unpleasant grinding sound that starts at about 25mph. maybe it was just the recording, but it was not the pleasant train noise i actually like!

jeff

I don't meant the construction ;) I mean the train itself!

I had noticed that.  The most obvious explanation is that there may still be work going on at track level or platform level to cause slow zones.

Nick_Burman

Poor man's Shinkansen...  :grin

A comment which could be very unfounded, as I don't know Japan or the business case for the Sky Access... could this project be another of those projects designed to keep the construction industry (and some politicians) happy? I've remember reading somewhere that ridership on both the Hokuso and the Chiba New Town Railways was less then stellar, could the Sky Access project be a way of "covering up" the mistake of building these two lines? Extending the CNTRy. would mean that all of a sudden these two (supposedly "half-baked") lines become valuable assets rather than a black mark on someone's regional planning strategy... OK, admittely this line gives Keisei the edge over JR for the Narita to central Tokyo traffic and cuts the necessity of going round via Chiba and the congested Keisei main line...

Cheers NB

Or maybe it's just because these videos are not documenting a test at full speed.

I think you're right.  Even in the places where the train is not slowing or accelerating it doesn't look like it's anywhere near top speed, and in one case (first video, 7:14-7:38) the signal is displaying "green over green", the indication for ">130 kph", so it could go top speed unless restricted in some other manner (by a paper track speed restriction, or because the crew wasn't allowed to run that fast).

Still a pretty slick looking train. Beats what modern shinkansen design has these days.

Yes, I think so too, but then it doesn't go fast enough to have to worry about "tunnel boom", the culprit behind the ugly duck-nose Shinkansen designs.

Still a pretty slick looking train. Beats what modern shinkansen design has these days.

Yes, I think so too, but then it doesn't go fast enough to have to worry about "tunnel boom", the culprit behind the ugly duck-nose Shinkansen designs.

shinkansen design since the 700 has really been organic design. start by following examples of shapes in nature that can cut through pressure differentials cleanly (ie kingfisher), then do design loops that just maximize effect -- not doing main design for looks anymore.

cheers

jeff

CaptOblivious

Are there tunnels on this new line?

Can't wait to see what this puppy looks like atvfull speed.

Also can't wait for Micro Ace to announce a model. Then again, it tool them, what >10 years to do the AE100?

bikkuri bahn
Are there tunnels on this new line?

Yes, other than the entrances to the underground terminals at Narita and Keisei Ueno, there are a few short ones on the approach to the Narita terminal.  But speeds are nothing like shinkansen, of course.

*Actually I like the designs that are coming from the shinkansen builders, because they reflect the concept of engineering to the specific needs of the customer, rather than a one size fits all design philosophy.  Where else in the world do you have the variety of high speed rail designs that you find in Japan?  If there was no such philosophy, all designs would look like the ICE3/Velaro- pleasant yes, but ultimately boring.  And Tomix and Kato would have less product to sell, I think :cheesy

bikkuri bahn
could this project be another of those projects designed to keep the construction industry (and some politicians) happy? I've remember reading somewhere that ridership on both the Hokuso and the Chiba New Town Railways was less then stellar, could the Sky Access project be a way of "covering up" the mistake of building these two lines? Extending the CNTRy. would mean that all of a sudden these two (supposedly "half-baked") lines become valuable assets rather than a black mark on someone's regional planning strategy

The Hokuso Line was originally conceived to be a link from the newly developed Chiba suburbs to central Tokyo via the Keisei/Toei Asakusa Line.  As you say, ridership has not reached expectations, notably given the generous infrastructure especially on the outer portions of the line (flying over Chiba you can easily visually pick out the extra-wide right of way of this line- much like a ten-lane North American freeway in amount of land taken).  But I don't think the Sky Access Line is intended as a cover up for the failings of this line.  Originally, it was intended to build a shinkansen line to Narita (you can still see remnants of this near Narita Airport in the form of concrete viaducts), but after this concept was shelved, it was decided to use the Hokuso line and build an extension.  However, the transport minister at that time (none other than the current Mayor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara), directed that airport rail access be built for the time being using the existing Keisei Line as well as JNR Narita Line, using the right of way of the aborted Narita Shinkansen.

Even after Sky Access begins service, people living along the Hokuso Line will still be stuck with some of the highest local rail ticket fares around, so I don't think this will vindicate the building of this line, at least in the eyes of the residents of this corner of Chiba.

That is a very nice looking train but does the train (except the last car) remind you a little of the Thunderbird or Snow Bird?

It reminds me of the Adelante diesel sets we have here in the UK.

post-214-13569924959957_thumb.jpg